• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BluesBrother

Master
    The focus should be on people that are no longer legal or eligible to own a fire arm. Incentivize these law breakers with substantial jail time when caught. People that are responsible for and fail to add violators to the no fly list need serious discipline not just tsk, tsk. A law that is not enforced is not a law people will obey. Stop hassling honest people that are obeying the law by permitted themselves. People that illegally deal in stolen or altered fire arms should be the focus. They absolutely are intent on breaking the law for thrills or profit or both. National level reciprocity should be the law of the land. Standardize the permitting process similar to the way 4473 is now. Law makers are over thinking reciprocity. It's not rocket science.

Last edited:

Action

Expert
    Haven’t even read up on it yet... is Hoss M going to issue Free pistol permits now for when you leave the state for any reason? He is not going to be happy losing his discretionary fund. BOLO way more tickets to be handed out to pay for those brand new Tahoe’s . Well that fund probably never made a payment on vehicles. Probably don’t want to know how sheriffs spend that $$$.
    If you still need a permit to leave the state starting in January, you will have to purchase it for the same price it is now. If you don’t leave the state, you won’t need a permit. Sheriffs offices do not get any revenue off of tickets. That money goes to the state. City officers tickets are a different story. It goes back to the municipality at some point.
    I know how Sheriff’s spend that money. So do the auditors who audit it just like every other government account.

gnappi

Expert
    It seems to me that a Constitutional Carry person would be the first to be noticed, disarmed, weapon stolen maybe, harmed in a situation where protection is most needed. I'm very open to being schooled to a different way of thinking on CC. If CC means you get to legally walk around with an AR or AK slung over your shoulder, I wouldn't do that anyway. Or I wouldn't open carry a hand gun. I like carrying incognito. I think it gives me an edge over the bad guy/gal. What am I missing?
    Yeah, agreed on all points. I can imagine getting knocked on the head from the rear by one of the many who failed NICS and getting disarmed. There's no defense for that without having bizarre retention holsters with several levels of protection. Even then whilst unconscious they'd have lots of time to suss it out.

Open carry fishing? Yup already allowed in Florida, In the general public? Not me.

BluesBrother

Master
    In CC what's to stop a person not eligible to posses a fire arm from CC? Will everyone that is open carrying be asked to prove their status? How would you know unless you check?

gnappi

Expert
    In CC what's to stop a person not eligible to posses a fire arm from CC? Will everyone that is open carrying be asked to prove their status? How would you know unless you check?

You mean citizen or background status?

Jeez, we get heat asking for resident ID to VOTE, imagine asking for proof of citizenship or legal residency :)

CeltKnight

Shooter
    Being a lifelong resident of Alabama I feel compelled to comment. I have to say that I am straddling the fence on this issue, personally I will continue to get my ccw license. I will not open carry unless there is a need to. Personally I think someone open carrying is asking for trouble. The other day I was at a restaurant on the causeway and out walks Lucie lu , Clarabell, and Bubba, right there on Bubbas hip was his handgun. Really ? I thought boy he doesn’t look like he had brains enough to get out of the rain and here he is playing Wyatt Earp. Just hope this law doesn’t make more problems for us that try to make a good impression as gun owners. Rant over.!
    Constitutional Carry is for concealed carry. Alabama has always allowed open carry (just not in a vehicle .. weirdly).
    Folks can, when the law goes into effect, carry concealed without having to get a permit first. It's a big win.

CeltKnight

Shooter
    To carry legally, they cannot be a prohibited person. Dangerous prohibited persons carry anyway. Now we'll have more good guys carrying and that'll weight the advantage to us good folks.

CeltKnight

Shooter
    It seems to me that a Constitutional Carry person would be the first to be noticed, disarmed, weapon stolen maybe, harmed in a situation where protection is most needed. I'm very open to being schooled to a different way of thinking on CC. If CC means you get to legally walk around with an AR or AK slung over your shoulder, I wouldn't do that anyway. Or I wouldn't open carry a hand gun. I like carrying incognito. I think it gives me an edge over the bad guy/gal. What am I missing?
    You're confusing "Constitutional Carry" with "Open Carry." Our new law allows for concealed carry of a handgun without a permit (open carry has always been legal in AL, as long as you're not in a vehicle). It has nothing to do with slinging a rifle over your shoulders (which is, and has been, legal, but not done much for obvious reasons).
    So, this issue is with CONCEALED handguns, and therefore I doubt we'll see mass disarmings. Well, that and if someone were to try it, another good citizen would likely step in.

DustyDog

Master
    Maybe they should keep "voluntary permits" for those who are uncomfortable with having the RIGHT to keep and bear arms. Let them pay the fee and get the card if it helps them cope.

Personally, I don't need a "pat on the head" from a government worker to feel legit...

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Personally I’m going to keep renewing my concealed carry permit as I think most of us law abiding citizens will, because if we go across the state line we will be required to show a permit if the need arises and just because a permit will no longer be needed in Bama does not mean you’ll be excused for carrying in other states. Better to be safe than sorry, I carry a firearm either on me or in all of the vehicles that the wife and I have and we keep the roads hot…..

CeltKnight

Shooter
    Agreed.
    I cheer that citizens don't need a permit to carry within the state. But if one intends to cross that border with a gun, at least as the laws in most of our bordering states now stand, they'll need a permit to avoid legal troubles.
    For that matter, I don't "need" a permit as I am carry nationwide under LEOSA as retired law enforcement. But I make sure I have my permit on me, too. Weirdly, it's easier to just show a permit than to explain the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act should the officer I run across not be familiar. Sadly, LEOSA requires annual requalification and some retirees have trouble finding a range and certified instructor to requalify ... and I knew one elderly fellow who shot great for a mag or two but couldn't handle a full 50 round course (talk about someone who NEEDED a gun).
    Anyway, yes, having a permit is still wise at least until all of our surrounding states or any state you're passing through has Constitutional Carry for everyone.

5lima30ret

Master
    Agreed.
    I cheer that citizens don't need a permit to carry within the state. But if one intends to cross that border with a gun, at least as the laws in most of our bordering states now stand, they'll need a permit to avoid legal troubles.
    For that matter, I don't "need" a permit as I am carry nationwide under LEOSA as retired law enforcement. But I make sure I have my permit on me, too. Weirdly, it's easier to just show a permit than to explain the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act should the officer I run across not be familiar. Sadly, LEOSA requires annual requalification and some retirees have trouble finding a range and certified instructor to requalify ... and I knew one elderly fellow who shot great for a mag or two but couldn't handle a full 50 round course (talk about someone who NEEDED a gun).
    Anyway, yes, having a permit is still wise at least until all of our surrounding states or any state you're passing through has Constitutional Carry for everyone.
    We do a HR-218/ LEOSA qualifying course every year for retirees every May at the FOP Lodge 43 range in Fairhope. One nice thing about AL permits is that if you are retired military or LEO you get a lifetime permit free with no waiting.

gnappi

Expert
    Hey! Here's an idea...A Federal reciprocity carry law! It seems as if the 2A is vague enough for interpretation and we need to "trump" it with a federal law. Y'know something like like a state driver's license is accepted in all of the states?

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Hey! Here's an idea...A Federal reciprocity carry law! It seems as if the 2A is vague enough for interpretation and we need to "trump" it with a federal law. Y'know something like like a state driver's license is accepted in all of the states?
    I like your thinking on the issue !

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Don't give the Fedz any more control of gun laws than they already have.

If the Fedz can mandate reciprocity of carry laws, they can abolish all carry laws win the wind direction changes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

gnappi

Expert
    Not necessarily mandating carry laws, mandating ALL license reciprocity.

Covering licenses like those for doctors, and hairdressers, also come to mind. I get that certain jurisdictions can have unique things like state Statutes but some clearly do not require unique licensing requirements.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Not necessarily mandating carry laws, mandating ALL license reciprocity.

Covering licenses like those for doctors, and hairdressers, also come to mind. I get that certain jurisdictions can have unique things like state Statutes but some clearly do not require unique licensing requirements.

Lawyers? Pass one bar exam, you have passed them all?

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom