• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAS HUGH!

Master
    I think the same can be said for 57 can't it? It too is made for a rifle. But can also do things in pistol format that others can't. In the last of the video he used a watered down bluetip that was 33% heavier than the 22 (40 grain vs 30).. and it went roughly a third deeper. Had roughly double expansion. And surely more velocity that wasn't factored. He didn't even bother using the 27 grain higher powered stuff either btw in last part of video. But to me the armor penetration factor don't attract me as much as being able to rapidly engage things with more power and be able snipe areas other than armored areas when able.. like the head. But also be able to defeat armor if needed depending on what you're carrying. Then also be able to go sub sonic with a mag change with heavier rounds like I think with the 57 or whatever grain they have. Just makes sense to me. All this while not even having access to the better Steelcore rounds n stuff also. It's pretty nasty

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Raven

Master
    I just bought a PS90, and boy are they charging through the nose for ammo, when you can find it. The problem is that even in the best of times there are very few brands that make it. So now supply and demand are turned on their heads. There is hardly any available, and when you find it the price is outrageous.

I’m not going to say I got lucky, but I kinda did. I found a small dealer that had an old promo item still on their shelf. It was a box of factory ammo with a factory 50 round mag for $89. They had 4 left, and I bought them all. Now I see just a box of 50 rounds without the mag for $89 at some places.
    Some guys have all the luck ;)

Raven

Master
    I think the same can be said for 57 can't it? It too is made for a rifle. But can also do things in pistol format that others can't. In the last of the video he used a watered down bluetip that was 33% heavier than the 22 (40 grain vs 30).. and it went roughly a third deeper. Had roughly double expansion. And surely more velocity that wasn't factored. He didn't even bother using the 27 grain higher powered stuff either btw in last part of video. But to me the armor penetration factor don't attract me as much as being able to rapidly engage things with more power and be able snipe areas other than armored areas when able.. like the head. But also be able to defeat armor if needed depending on what you're carrying. Then also be able to go sub sonic with a mag change with heavier rounds like I think with the 57 or whatever grain they have. Just makes sense to me. All this while not even having access to the better Steelcore rounds n stuff also. It's pretty nasty

As far as the government wanting armor piercing capabilities in a small package, there's nothing stopping the Federal government from making and using a solid steel projectile. With the savings in metal cost and manufacturing costs they would be big money ahead even after having to buy new barrels every 5,000 rounds. The NRA magazine did a short article about 10 years ago for Winchester having a government contract for 50 BMG, that was a solid steel 30 caliber spitzer fleshed out to 50 BMG using polymer around the steel... maybe trying to get away from using depleted uranium projectiles

Last edited:

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Yeah not sure about having a solid steel bullet per say. But the full power ss190 is what I was referring to. I still haven't gotten all the names memorized down pat. But there's many like this. Just they're like hens teeth here and people literally collect them and never fire them. Costs so much people keep it in safes like diamonds lol. Anyways this is the one I was referring to if ya wanna read up on it. You used to have to show law enforcement credentials to get it etc. Some people stepped up and began making it themselves. But they ship it all to gunbroker now it seems
    018ba8d27ad3fa2d9842a891764faa92.jpg

SAWMAN

Master
    Labor intensive,BUT - -> why not just tool up to pull some bullets and load some Barnes 50gr TSX ,M855,SS109,or others. (30-35gr .224")
    This would not help with the 4 legged critters but could very well help in penetration (for other critters) if that is what you are after.
    The very best penetrator there is,is a pointy nose,well designed (hard),small caliber,hyper speed projectlie,with a elevated sectional density.
    P.O. ACKLEY used to do work for the government back in the 60's and 70's. He expieramented with the above styled bullets. Especially the 220Swift pushing a 20gr solid copper or bronze bullet at well over 5000fps.
    It would zip right thru most any kind of "normal" armor,including hardened steel.
    I still have some of his works. Extremely interesting and informative reeding.
    He hung out with the likes of Bergara,Shelin,Bellm,Keith,Cooper,and other fathers of modern ballistics.
    My two volume set of Ackley's books are signed. He was a friend of a frieind,of one of my "mentors". --- SAWMAN

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Seen a few snippets of where they used the 220 swift to pierce theu amor personnel carriers where all others failed. Pretty interesting stuff. I once wanted a AR10 chambered in it. But heard it's a barrel burner and not exactly like there's alot of armored divisions running amuck anyways lol. But wanted one just for giggles I guess. But never saw one for sale yet. Anyways I bought the ruger 57 mainly cause I happened to get access to the first ones released. Didn't know much about them till then. So I said wth. Then got bored with it and nearly sold it. Then found the carbine kit and then I was back on board again lol. I'd like to just make my own rounds for it soon. Like if I could maybe get a longer barrel.. and they offer other twist rates for it.. I could use 556 greentips maybe. Not sure if it will work but just an idea I had to make cheaper rounds for it. Seen a person try it once but with barrels as-is they keyhole fast if I recall right. But yeah need a few more things on my list then once done I'll start getting reloading gear and learning how to do all that slowly. So when I do I'll know who to ask lol

SAWMAN

Master
    If I were to do a 5.7 RIFLE project,it would be with a 1:6 twist. The "well made" 30gr bullrts would not have enough fwd vel to pull them apart and that twist rate should stabilize a bullet up to 52/53gr. (lead style)
    Guessing ... the M855 would be a no-go as would be a heavier solid copper bullet of >53-55grs. (too long).
    Been wantig to do some tests using my 28" bbl'ed 22-250,which will come really close to the vels of a "normal" bbl'ed Swift, but never have.
    People have built bolt guns chambered for the 5.7 but cannot remember their published data. ---- SAWMAN

DAS HUGH!

Master
    It'll prolly realisticly be sometime next year before I get set up to tinker. As for now it's a novelty that I found a use for in confined spaces. But when I do get set up I'll deffo pick your brain a bit

SAWMAN

Master
    If I can help most any member,please let me know.
    There are quite a few accomplished reloaders that hang out here. --- SAWMAN

ratio411

Expert
    I had a notification set for 5.7 ammo at Midway. They let me know this morning that they finally got some in. It’s $40-something a box and doesn’t qualify for their free shipping, so I bought a couple boxes of 5.56 that did qualify to save the $12. :D

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Thx I'll check it out later. Been mainly looking for the lead free 27 grain flavors. I have the others laying around in bulk kinda. Maybe they'll have some

Top Bottom