Deciphering Millenial Slang: A how to guide.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
    Tired of being lost and confused when it comes to understanding what these young kids are saying nowadays? Well worry no further! This is a list of slang terminology used by Generation Z, or those born roughly between the mid-late 1990s to the early 2010s in the Western world.

Generation Z slang differs significantly from slang terminology of prior generations in history in that Gen Z was the first generation to grow up entirely within the internet age. Due to this, much of their slang originates from online media such as social media apps like TikTok, YouTube, or Twitch. The ease of communication that comes with the internet also results in their slang being proliferated to a greater and swifter extent.

Much of Gen Z slang today was not coined by members of the generation itself but rather were terms already in use by certain communities. In many cases, Gen Z slang is derived from African-American vernacular English and LGBTQ+ slang. This has led to accusations of "cultural appropriation."

Yeah, I know. Anyway, here is a list of the more common words in usage:

@me Pronounced "at me." Used on social media when someone feels attacked by a post.
    Asl Shortened version of "as hell." No relation to early internet slang "age/sex/location."
    Ate Used to express praise/admiration for a certain action or emotion performed by someone.
    Bang 30s To get in a physical altercation with someone.
    Based Originally meaning "to be your self and not care about how others view you", The word is now used to indicate an opinion or something that someone agrees with. It is especially common in political slang and discussions.
    Beat your face To apply makeup to the face.
    Bestie Short for 'best friend' though doesn't carry as much weight. Sometimes used jokingly with someone one doesn't have any relationship to; "hey bestie" Bet Yes, ok, "it's on." Derived from non-slang bet (to bet on something).
    Big mad Term used to describe when someone is excessively angry.
    Big yikes Used to describe something embarrassing or cringey, particularly in response to an offensive comment.
    Body count A euphemism for how many people one has had sex with. Initially referred to specifically sexual intercourse, but was expanded to include all forms of sex.
    Bop A good song or album. Derived from the Jazz tradition of singing with nonsense words such as bebop and rebop.
    Boujee A high-class/materialistic person. Derived from the French term for burghers, bourgeoisie, which originated in the 16th century. By the 1970s, the shortened version had been born as bougie.
    Bozo A stupid or foolish person
    Bussin' Used to describe good food Originated from African-American vernacular as a way of complimenting good food.
    Bussy Meaning "Boy Pussy". It is associated with Femboy culture Portmanteau of 'Boy' (a young male) and 'Pussy' (slang for Vagina).

.cont

Cap A lie. African-American vernacular slang. Spread via rap.

Catch these hands Used to threaten someone with a fist fight.

Cheugy Derogatory term for Millennials.

Clapback Swift and witty response to an insult or critique

Cringe A response to embarrassment or social awkwardness

Dank Used to describe an ironic internet meme. The term dank has been in the English language since the 14th century and refers to something unpleasantly moist or humid. It was appropriated by marijuana culture in the 1980s to mean something excellent. In the 1990s, it came to describe high-quality cannabis, perhaps influenced by cannabis' pungent and moist attributes. The modern internet meme version stems from 2013 on message boards such as Reddit and 4chan, where it was used to characterize memes so terrible, they became good.

Ded Used to describe something humorous to such an extent as to "kill you." L

Drip Trendy high-class fashion.

Facts The truth or stating something, which people agree on.

Fr Abbreviation for "For real" used in agreement.

Glow-up A major improvement in one's self, usually an improvement in appearance, confidence, and style. Frequently used in a context relating to puberty.

G.O.A.T Abbreviation for greatest of all time.

Hits different Something that is better in a peculiar manner.

I oop Used to express shock, embarrassment, and or amusement.

Iykyk Acronym for "If you know, you know." Used to describe inside jokes.

Jit Used to address someone.

Let him cook Let one plan something.

L+Ratio Insult used primarily online.

Lit Colloquially: "Enlightened", "Hot", "Fire." The new hotness; something remarkable, interesting, fun or amusing. Generally positive.

Mid Of something to be average/mediocre First used in cannabis culture to describe mid-tier marijuana. It was first added to Urban Dictionary on January 15, 2004. The term began to be used outside of the cannabis community in 2019 on Twitter, before garnering major popularity in September 2021 due to several tweets that used the term to describe the album Certified Lover Boy by rapper Drake.

Not you Used to condemn or poke fun at someone or something.

NPC Someone who cannot think for themselves and/or has no or little control over their own life. Someone that is ready to agree with popular opinion unquestioningly and always believes what they are told. Gullible First gained popularity in late 2018 around the United States Midterm elections, where it was frequently used by supporters of then U.S president Donald Trump to mock his opponents. It experienced a resurgence in popularity again in 2022 via TikTok. Originates from non-player characters in video games which can only be interacted with in limited ways and have static, preprogrammed behaviors controlled by the game's developer.

OK Boomer Pejorative directed toward members of the "Baby Boomer" generation, used to dismiss or mock attitudes typically associated with baby boomers as out of date.

On god Short for "I swear to god." Means that a person's statement is honest.

Opp Short for opposition or enemies; describes an individual's opponents. A secondary, older definition has the term be short for "other people's pussy." Originated from street and gang gulture.

Periodt Used to add emphasis to something Stems from Southern Black Gay English. Spread in the 2010s via the Miami City Girls rap duo. Entered into the mainstream in 2019, in part due to Black Twitter.

Rent free To be constantly thinking or upset about something. First used by Eppie Lederer (penname: Ann Landers), who coined the term sometime in the late 20th century. Earliest known internet usage dates back to May 19, 2010, on the Pithless Thoughts Blogspot.

Rizz One's courtship/seduction skills Coined by Twitch streamer Kai Cenat in mid-2021. Short for "charisma"

Sheesh To praise someone when they are doing something good.

Simp Sycophancy, being overly affectionate in pursuit of a sexual relationship. Originally short term for simpleton; first used to describe those who were "soft" and "overly affectionate" in the 1980s by West coast rappers.

Situationship Refers to an ambiguous romantic relationship where all parties have mutual feeling for one another but said feelings are not clearly defined; a mid-point between dating and not daiting.

Sksksk Used to convey happiness/laughter Earliest known usage is by Brazilian users on Twitter. Used by various British, African-American, and gay communities before becoming associated with stan Twitter in 2019

Slaps Used to refer to something that is perceived to be good. Used in the 18th century to refer to "excellence," and in the 19th century for something that was "first rate."

Snatched Used to refer to something that is perceived to be good. i

Soft launch To imply being in a relationship in a discrete manner on social media. Used when said relationship is not official and could easily be severed. The term soft launch is used to describe a preview of a product or service to a limited audience that precedes its reveal to the general public. In July 2020, Rachel Sennott, tweeted "congrats on the instagram soft launch of ur boyfriend

Stan Supporting something. Specifically used in cases to the idolatry support of personalities. Derived from the 2000 song of the same name by Eminem.

Sus Short term for suspect/suspicious. Popularized in 2018 by players of the online video game Among Us and received mainstream usage with the game's explosion in popularity in mid-2020 amidst and due the COVID-19 pandemic.

Slay To do something well. Possibly a 19th-century term for being fashionable.

Tea Gossiping (spilling the tea) Originates from Black drag culture of the 1990s. Was used to refer to one's "hidden truth."

Touch grass Used to tell someone to get in touch with reality; telling them to go outside. Used especially on the internet, implying that the person is spending excessive time on screens. Originated from the gaming community, where players often times spend hours in front of screens. Gradually entered colloquial usage throughout the pandemic.

Valid Acceptable

Vibe check To check one's personality or attitude First defined in an Urban Dictionary post on April 18, 2011. Remained largely obscure until a sudden uptick of usage on Twitter in 2019.

Vibing Having a nonchalant attitude; to chill Derived from the Hippie movement of the 1960s to describe people who were "in vibration" with the universe.

Wig To do something so well as to "make one's wig fly off." Originated from Black LGBT ballroom culture. American singer Katy Perry is generally credited with propagating the word into the mainstream after using it to compliment a contestant on American Idol in 2018.
    Yeet To throw especially with force and without regard for the thing being thrown.

And there you have it. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

IronBeard

Master
    So now I know I can get my point across with OK NPC Bussy rather than the two words I've been using. I learned something there.

FLT

Master
    I can get my point across to multiple generations of people with just a few words , course it offends most of them. F***er and c**k S**ker seems to be understood by most of them . ;);)

Carl

Master
    Yeah we have a bunch of feminized young men who all sport the same stupid poof hairdos and say the stupidest things. Wtf is that anyways it looks like a poodle took a dump on top of your head. Apparently most of them worship black “influencers” as they all talk like a bunch of extras from the Idiocracy movie but what else would you expect in the world they’ve grown up in. I will end on a positive that they still aren’t as bad as the hippies.

5lima30ret

Master
    I used to stay up on all the ghetto slang when I was Cop working in the "hood". That has changed considerably since I retired :rolleyes: Words like "stem" have a completely different meaning now than they did 20 years ago!

Top Bottom