• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Sigh... figured it was only a matter of time.
    The federal government will announce a new plan requiring anyone buying a drone to register the device with the U.S. Department of Transportation, NBC news has learned.

The government has been concerned about the rise in close calls between unmanned drones and aircraft flying into and out of some of the nation's biggest airports. The plan is expected to be announced Monday.

U.S. Will Require Drones to Be Registered

Armyvet35N

Expert
    Honestly people shouldn't be flying drones around large aircrafts anyways. I sure as hell don't want that shit to happen when I'm on a plane to Arizona to see some family members.

JBryan314

Master
    Honestly people shouldn't be flying drones around large aircrafts anyways. I sure as hell don't want that shit to happen when I'm on a plane to Arizona to see some family members.

It's not happening a lot. Not enough to actually worry about that. Fuck them. I'm not registering shit and if I buy one, I'm not registering that either. They can suck my dick.

Seanpcola

As a 40+ year RC flyer I'll say I hope those drone dipshits get hammered. This is like the crazy OC dudes (not the normal ones) pushing everyone's buttons just to show their ass. Screw it up for everyone with immature showboating antics.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    It's not happening a lot. Not enough to actually worry about that. Fuck them. I'm not registering shit and if I buy one, I'm not registering that either. They can suck my dick.

They will require an FAA approval! Forms, home inspections and a gps locator chip.

I can see it now!

pcolapaddler

Expert
    As a 40+ year RC flyer I'll say I hope those drone dipshits get hammered. This is like the crazy OC dudes (not the normal ones) pushing everyone's buttons just to show their ass. Screw it up for everyone with immature showboating antics.
    Agreed. Often small group causes trouble that the rest of have to deal with. Similar with fishing at some piers and bridges - folks leave trash, bait and fish remains etc. Next thing you know, fishing is prohibited at that spot.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Armyvet35N

Expert
    All it takes is 1 guy to screw everything up, I mean... Look at our current administration

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    and i still say if one flys low over my house, a load of 3" mag 12 ga steel shot will be used....

dirtysouth

Marksman

Well, this must be part of the new owner deal? FUCK!

Did it stick?

MAXman

Master
    "Keep it under 400 feet and away from airports"
    "If one flies over my house I'll shoot it".

Is there some kind of gentlemans agreement on where to/not to, when, etc to operate drones?
    I'd like to not see one of these FOD out and engine of a 707/md88, but you know how it goes. Police yourselves, or be policed.

Seanpcola

Is there some kind of gentlemans agreement on where to/not to, when, etc to operate drones?
    I'd like to not see one of these FOD out and engine of a 707/md88, but you know how it goes. Police yourselves, or be policed.

Here's the problem. Model airplanes have been around for well over a century, RC got started in the 30s but equipment didn't become viable or readily available (had to build your own electronics for instance) until the 50s-60's and the price to play didn't really come into it until the 70s-80s. Point is that if you wanted in the game there was commitment in time, money, frustration and a steep learning curve. Guys either dropped out from lack of commitment or, by the time they got to the point they could go out and fly with good, reliable results they had way too much blood, sweat and tears equity involved to act a fool. Of course, model airplanes take up room to fly and a place to land and take off.

Now, with huge leaps in the radio end of it (you can even fly some cool stuff from a smart phone), cheap Chinese, ready to fly models out of the box and the advent of multi rotor models with on board gyros and flight stabilization, not to mention GPS tracking and guidance, any moron with a few bucks can walk into a hobby shop, plunk down money and be airborne in 30 minutes. No discipline, no understanding of safety, etiquette, rules, courtesy or maturity. Throw in FPV (first person video) and tiny cameras with amazing video ability and you have the potential for a lot of fun.......or the ease to do something extremely stupid.

I don't know how many people have approached me, never having even seen RC being flown, wanting to know how to get started fast making money doing aerial video. Not clue on the legality, rational usage or potential pitfalls.

I'm not saying it's rocket science but there is a lot of ways shit can go bad in a big hurry, a lot of ways that wouldn't be obvious to someone uninitiated to ranging out and controlling a piece of equipment in three dimensions.

The very idea of attempting to get close to a full size aircraft is frightening. You guys can understand this, I mean, anyone involved in firearms knows at least basic machinery, safety, thinking way way ahead before you send a round out the barrel at high velocity. In other words, critical thinking comes into play. A lot of people have zero ability to think things through, a LOT of people.

As for a gentleman's agreement, we aren't talking about "gentlemen" here. We are talking about idiots that want to show their ass, get their rocks off trying to eavesdrop on some honey sunbathing, show off types, pretty much like giving a loaded pistol with a one pound trigger pull to a 3 year old. Yes, it can be that deadly. You don't even have to hit an aircraft to cause a bad day. When flying a full scale aircraft you're constantly scanning the sky looking for conflicts. A 2 lb. Multi rotor popping up into your peripheral vision could be an airliner 3 miles out heading at you at 550 knots. Evasive action, change of course may be needed RIGHT NOW. People have been killed racking a big airplane around hard. Imagine being on final approach, 15 MPH above stall speed in a Cessna 172, 100' above the ground, and suddenly seeing a "drone" coming towards you, not k owing what it is. You instinctively roll and pull to separate and splat! Stall, spin and crunch.

I'm not a fan of any government control of anything really but if I ever see someone operating a multi rotor and doing something stupid I'll need bail money.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator

No, there is actually a real law that covers it and it's regulated and enforced by the FAA.

shootnstarz

Master
    I'm in 100% agreement with Sean, it's not the quadcopters, it's the idiots and morons controlling them.

What is the real pisser is the uninformed are lumping the "line of sight" model flying like Sean and I do in with the idiot operated quadcopters so whatever regulations befall them will most likely encompass our flying style also. I can't think of a better way to destroy the hobby than to get government involved, just look what it did for fishing.

Rick

Seanpcola

I'm in 100% agreement with Sean, it's not the quadcopters, it's the idiots and morons controlling them.

What is the real pisser is the uninformed are lumping the "line of sight" model flying like Sean and I do in with the idiot operated quadcopters so whatever regulations befall them will most likely encompass our flying style also. I can't think of a better way to destroy the hobby than to get government involved, just look what it did for fishing.

Rick

This. ^^^^

Of course, like the war on drugs and gun control the only real effect is to punish the innocent. I had a lady from Whiting Field stop by work asking about a non related incident involving an unauthorized full scale landing at Site 8. The discussion turned to RC and she mentioned the 400' height restrictions at all OLFs and what I thought. She didn't like my reply. First, we are launching to a height of 4-500 feet and then climbing to up to triple that altitude during a normal flight. Second, we are incapable of ranging out beyond line of sight. But, according to her expert opinion we are all causing a problem for the Navy. Funny, because usually(though occasionally) there is no Naval training on weekends when 90% of us flyers actually have time to play. Second, how you gonna monitor and enforce it? Have full time monitors (read more do nothings on the government payroll) with range finders? Hell, I could go on and on.

I don't know what the real answer is. Personally, I think there should be a law whereby if you're caught doing something stupid with a multirotor then you get to eat it or, have it shoved up your backside. Just like gun control, one mouth breather with a new toy and zero sense will have the media painting all of us Rcers as more dangerous than a goat humper taking over an airliner with a box cutter.

Viking1204

Master
    If drones are GPS enabled then it wouldn't be hard to program a 400' height limit into them. Drones and RC planes need to stay separate. You think things are bad now, just wait until a drone causes a real plane or copter to crash, it's going to happen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom