Firearm Breakin Period (not barrel Break in).

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildrider666

Master
    I am a firm believer that a firearm should function perfectly right from the factory box. We know some pistols are fine with FMJ but not JHP as a example. This may or may not get batter after running several boxes of ammo through it. This firearm may need a little work to digest JHP. Some manufactures build with such close tolerances to enhance accuracy that minor fouling could causes a functional failure. I think there is a trade off between close tolerances and reliably. Until the firearm is has digested several hundred rounds without incident, it should not be carried as a defensive arm.

That covers my expectations from the box and my reliability standard for CCW. We often here about firearms that people hate because they fail to function properly. Cleanliness, proper lube/ammo, handling rise to the top of cause before we address the "gun" itself as the culprit. Recently the issue was address regarding the Rem Express 12 Ga. posts were love/hate centered on initial and continued reliability. Does a shotgun need Break in?
    I pulled out my HK/Benelli Owners Manual and there it is on page 53:

WARNING: due to precision machine tolerances on your shotgun, some breaking-in period may be required before your new gun works perfectly with light target loads. If you experience any initial functioning problems, we recommended firing three or four boxes of standard hunting loads to allow for this break-in period. This warning aside; I never had a single function issue while firing semi or pump action with this shotgun.

So the question are:

What firearms do you have that the manufacture recommends a number of rounds be fired to "break in"?

What firearms do you have that had initial malfunctions that resolved themselves after firing XXX rounds?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Never, guess I am lucky. Of course a Glock w 200 or more rds through it seldom will have anything but a user problem. I do have a 12 ga semi auto w a gas ring problem though, IT may be my fault but no gunsmiths here to check it out

wildrider666

Master
    Never, guess I am lucky. Of course a Glock w 200 or more rds through it seldom will have anything but a user problem. I do have a 12 ga semi auto w a gas ring problem though, IT may be my fault but no gunsmiths here to check it out

Check gas ports are not blocked. Check condition of any rubber o'rings and ensure any metal rings are indexed so the split gaps are not in the same line.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    yeah, I had it fixed, then it did the same thing, I put it in the case and have not opened it in over a year...never got to dove hunt this year, so my shotguns are a waste of my time here in FL.

flightmedic

Shooter
    yeah, I had it fixed, then it did the same thing, I put it in the case and have not opened it in over a year...never got to dove hunt this year, so my shotguns are a waste of my time here in FL.

FrankT if you want, give my Dad a call @251.212.1241 he has been a Gunsmith about 40 years or so. It sounds like an 1100 or 1187 since there was mention of an o-ring (just my guess). So if you want to give him a call, he is in Brewton, AL. Once you are comfortable talking to him .... I will be glad to run it up there for you one day since I usually make weekly trips there in my off time. Then I will bring it back to you when it is finished. One thing about it is, if he tells you its fixed .... you can take it to war! If for some reason it does it again, he stands behind his word and there are NEVER additional charges. I shuttle stuff up there for his customers all the time (Freeport, Destin, FWB, Red Bay, etc)

Daezee

Master
    What firearms do you have that had initial malfunctions that resolved themselves after firing XXX rounds?

Shortly after I moved to my little farm, I had a run-in with a feral dog at my goat pen. I was armed with a .22 pistol and a flashlight. Afterwards I thought, "Bruce, you were lucky nothing happened to you." I vowed never again would I be undergunned. I got a Spike's AR. For my use, it had to run flawless. During the 1st 30 rounds I had 2-3 failures to extract or chamber, but nothing since then. After 500 flawless rounds fired (mixed with proper cleaning) I deemed it my go-to farm gun. It hangs on a hook with 2 loaded mags; 1 with "animal" ammo; 1 with "people" ammo. Oh, and both mags have been thoroughly tested.

Post script: Neighbor killed 3 of the feral dogs (1 going after his wife; 2 killing his chickens) and wounded another. My beagle tracked the wounded dog until it crossed a road where she lost it. The woods were the pack lived has been cleared now, so if any were left of the pack, they moved.

joe

Master
    Kahr P380 fits both criteria for me. They also suggest a break in of 300 rnds or so.

The first day at the range I had to quit shooting it because I had so many failures. I went home read up on some known magazine issues & how it is picky about ammo(especially long or fat tipped ammo). There is so little room in this small gun that some ammo actually hits the slide lock. Also it has a crappy designed clip and I had to file the magazine follower some. Really IMO it is not a break in issue but a combination tight tolerance & a poorly designed magazine. I almost got rid of it in the beginning because of these issues but since it carries so well & I shot it well, I stuck with it.

Now I have right at 600 rds threw it with no Faliures.

I have sold other pistols that had to many failures in the beginning.

I think having a break in is fine but can't stand poor designs. I shoot around 250 threw a pistol when ever i first get it wether it is a carry gun or not. Now I do not do that with hunting guns.

Last edited:

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    I think that having a break in period where surfaces mate and things loosen up is fine, although I haven't had many guns that have required this.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Kahr P380 fits both criteria for me. They also suggest a break in of 300 rnds or so.

The first day at the range I had to quit shooting it because I had so many failures. I went home read up on some known magazine issues & how it is picky about ammo(especially long or fat tipped ammo). There is so little room in this small gun that some ammo actually hits the slide lock. Also it has a crappy designed clip and I had to file the magazine follower some. Really IMO it is not a break in issue but a combination tight tolerance & a poorly designed magazine. I almost got rid of it in the beginning because of these issues but since it carries so well & I shot it well, I stuck with it.

Now I have right at 600 rds threw it with no Faliures.

I have sold other pistols that had to many failures in the beginning.

I think having a break is fine but can't stand poor designs. I shoot around 250 threw a pistol when ever i first get it wether it is a carry gun or not. Now I do not do that with hunting guns.
    I have broken in 4 Kahrs....including a cw9, pm9,and 2 p380s. I always buff and polish a firearm before I shoot it for the first time....so that eliminates the factory burs and rough edges. The Kahrs really do have a breakin of 200 rounds....sometimes it's less...shouldn't take more. You will notice fewer feed problems along the way, and the accuracy will noticeably improve as well. Most of the change happens in the first 50 rounds.
    After 200 rounds, I'd trust any kahr with my life...at least as much as I could trust any fine weapon.
    The Kahrs are the only firearm I've experienced that has this phenomenon....all my other brands can pre broken in by buff and polish alone.
    I'll sacrifice the rounds to get the final effect with the kahr....even if it is a little strange.
    My little p380 can hit a 12x12 plate at 200 feet ....if you can control your breathing.

Gravity3694

Expert
    1911s are the worst culprits of needing a break in period. AR-15s are somewhat in that vein as well.

I personally don't trust a gun if it can't run dirty (wet with lube of course).

moron1

Expert
    I have had a couple Remington 1100's and still own one. They are lube sensitive in cold weather. If you wipe the mag tube with oil when cleaning (to prevent rust during storage) it will still run fine in warm weather. In cold weather a small amount of oil can turn it into a bolt action. Close clearances on firearms (such as the 1911) can cause problems if tolerances are not met or set at too wide of a range. Clearances are the recommended space between parts and tolerances are the amount of space tolerated or allowed before being too loose or to tight. Tolerance also applies to manufacturing dimensions of every part so that every part is as close to identical from one gun to the next. Combine this with differences in material composition, high-low end combination of tolerances, varying assembly methods ,Q/C and human error and you can get a good gun or you can get one with problems. Firearms are a machine and should be treated as such. Always have a back up plan or better yet a back up person with a gun. If the firearm functions then you only have to worry about yourself functioning correctly. Training is the best way to insure you perform well but even highly trained people can and do fumble in high stress situations. For example remember the Navy SEAL on the TV show Top Shot who had a hard time(2 seconds?) getting the safety off when shooting a 1911? It looked like he was trying to push up for fire like on a M9. There is a reason people prefer handguns like revolvers and Glocks and that is one of them,you just pull the trigger. But even then there is no guarantee. People have knocked their selves out running into poles, low overhangs ect. while running for cover. Two words; MURPHY'S LAW

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    FrankT if you want, give my Dad a call @251.212.1241 he has been a Gunsmith about 40 years or so. It sounds like an 1100 or 1187 since there was mention of an o-ring (just my guess). So if you want to give him a call, he is in Brewton, AL. Once you are comfortable talking to him .... I will be glad to run it up there for you one day since I usually make weekly trips there in my off time. Then I will bring it back to you when it is finished. One thing about it is, if he tells you its fixed .... you can take it to war! If for some reason it does it again, he stands behind his word and there are NEVER additional charges. I shuttle stuff up there for his customers all the time (Freeport, Destin, FWB, Red Bay, etc)

Thanks it is a verona, 12 auto, I cleaned it, o ring gone, had it replaced and checked by a gunsmith in niceville, it was good to go. Then I took it to the field and it seemed to do the same thing, put it in the case and bought another 12ga...LOL I appreciate it but that is a lot of trouble for you and him, will try to get a closer fix first...but much appreciated!

Top Bottom