• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • helo_hunter

Expert
    Really enjoy my SR1911 - great gun except at 100 rounds the front sight broke. Where it broke, one could see tiny bubbles in the metal. Ruger replaced the front sight but around 1500 to 2000 rounds, the replacement front sight broke. Same deal. Looks like the sight is made from really cheap metal that fatigues and breaks. Put a fiber optic front sight on the gun without asking for a new sight from Ruger and it is working well, so far.

MAXman

Master
    Huh. Really crappy casting?
    The interweb is rich with explanations on how ruger is the king of casting. I've even read that ruger casts things for other companies, even other industries. Do we know if they make the sights themselves or do they use a third party? It's good to know they take care of thier customers, outside of politics, I've never heard anything negative about the weapons.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Huh. Really crappy casting?
    The interweb is rich with explanations on how ruger is the king of casting. I've even read that ruger casts things for other companies, even other industries. Do we know if they make the sights themselves or do they use a third party? It's good to know they take care of thier customers, outside of politics, I've never heard anything negative about the weapons.

From my limited research, and to add to the internet rumor mill, I read somewhere that Novak allowed Ruger to make the sights and use their brand name while making the sights in house at some point. I don't know if this is true or still the case! But it's a 1911, don't like something on it, just change it!

wildrider666

Master
    A few tips.
    Feed it a lot. Put 1K down the pipe before you mess with internals (if you have to).
    Some 1911s are picky eaters. Feed them what they like best.
    A 1911 does not have to be a Leggo kit.
    You don't have to keep up with the Joneses and buy every gizmo you see.
    HIGH QUALITY Mags will reduce problems and serve you better.
    A 1911A1 is the most beautiful design handgun (you knew that).
    A classy 1911 should be well dressed in good leather.
    The money you save by avoiding unnecessary parts and Smitty work will start your second 1911 fund!

Telum Pisces

Master
    Official photo shoot.

Attachments

• IMG_5292s.jpg
      IMG_5292s.jpg
      91 KB · Views: 137
    • IMG_5301s.jpg
      IMG_5301s.jpg
      57.5 KB · Views: 141

Telum Pisces

Master
    A few tips.
    Feed it a lot. Put 1K down the pipe before you mess with internals (if you have to).
    Some 1911s are picky eaters. Feed them what they like best.
    A 1911 does not have to be a Leggo kit.
    You don't have to keep up with the Joneses and buy every gizmo you see.
    HIGH QUALITY Mags will reduce problems and serve you better.
    A 1911A1 is the most beautiful design handgun (you knew that).
    A classy 1911 should be well dressed in good leather.
    The money you save by avoiding unnecessary parts and Smitty work will start your second 1911 fund!

I've honestly never been a fan of doing too much to a gun from the original factory makeup. I buy what I typically want as is from the factory. This gun may test that theory. But we shall see. If a gun does not function how it should or the way I like from the beginning, it usually just pisses me off because I just paid the money for something that should work flawlessly from the beginning. And all my guns so far have been that way. Hope this one is the same.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    The Ruger I had was polished and tuned by Ron at TGD. Smoothed and lightened the trigger a bit but no other work needed. IMO

MAXman

Master
    Neat fact:
    The Winchester flat points that are marketed for three gun, shot some out of a 5" 1911 at some thinner steel. Neatest thing.... Shedded the jackets and the the lead cores punched through the steel. Can't remember what the steel was(may have been the door to a small safe), but I remember it was pretty impressive results.

You know, thought it belonged in a 1911 thread.

Jeb21

Master
    Bring that puppy out to the next IDPA match. I can loan you extra mags and a right handed holster if you need it.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Took it out yesterday and ran 100 rounds through it. Loved the way the gun feels and shoots. I'm having one consistent issue it seems. Chambering the first round hangs up every now and then. Only had one brand of ammo on hand (230gr Ball). I'll try different ammo and see. But it happened about 5-6 times when inserting and chambering the first round. I can replicate it at home as well.

But other than that, while running, it ran like a top.

Pompnewbie

Master
    Took it out yesterday and ran 100 rounds through it. Loved the way the gun feels and shoots. I'm having one consistent issue it seems. Chambering the first round hangs up every now and then. Only had one brand of ammo on hand (230gr Ball). I'll try different ammo and see. But it happened about 5-6 times when inserting and chambering the first round. I can replicate it at home as well.

Did you try anything other than a stock ruger mag with it?.. See if anyone has a WC or shooting Star mag you can try.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Did you try anything other than a stock ruger mag with it?.. See if anyone has a WC or shooting Star mag you can try.

Nope, just factory Ruger mags that came with it. I'll try a few different things out the next time it comes with me to the lease!

Armyvet35N

Expert

I'd invest in a Wilson combat magazine and see how it works. I have 6 of them and I never have any issues with any of my 1911s with any ammo. If you go to Santa Rosa shooting center, I can meet you there the next time and you can test mine out with the same ammo.

Jeb21

Master
    If you get over to a IDPA match contact me ahead of time and I will bring some mags for you to try out. You may have a small burr in the feed ramp or in the mouth of the barrel. The mags could be an issue but that seems unlikely with brand new factory mags.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    Did you re-seat the mags since it was the first round each time. Sometimes a flush fit mag will seem in when it's not.

Top Bottom