• ...and so much more!
  • Ric-san

Master

Ric-san

Master
    Thanks bro, my linky sux somehow...

kawiking888

Expert
    I never saw his gun I saw a fobus type holster...could've been a phone holster. How did the officer find out what it was?....He asked the guy! You couldn't truly see it till he had his hands up on the truck. Don't know why the guy jumped out of he truck like that...I would've kept my ass in my seat.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I hear a paranoid cop, over reacting, I also see a Permit holder that should have remained seated and answered the questions he was asked and not gotten out of the vehicle. You don't get out wander around then reach back in the vehicle during a traffic stop without asking the Officer as each step is taken. The cop should get out of the business and the permit holder needs to learn some etiquette. That is the was I see the video, your opinion may differ, but no cop should be threatening to shoot citizens and use that kind of foul language with a lady present...very poor training.

zombieh8r

Marksman
    I'm kinda torn on this one...I've been with a friend of mine who's a sheriffs officer when a firearm appears out of nowhere in the middle of a traffic stop. It's a scary gut wrenching feeling and I completely understand why the deputy took control of the situation the way he did. I'm not sure why he didn't lighten up some when he found out the guy had a permit, wasn't a criminal, and it was an accident. I might have missed it but I'm not sure if the deputy took him to jail or let him go.

Hunkyfish

Master
    Side of the Highway under the bridge near Freeport
    I hear a paranoid cop, over reacting, I also see a Permit holder that should have remained seated and answered the questions he was asked and not gotten out of the vehicle. You don't get out wander around then reach back in the vehicle during a traffic stop without asking the Officer as each step is taken. The cop should get out of the business and the permit holder needs to learn some etiquette. That is the was I see the video, your opinion may differ, but no cop should be threatening to shoot citizens and use that kind of foul language with a lady present...very poor training.

Yuuuuuup !

Patoz

Marksman

I agree 100%!

Mullet Hunter

Master
    I see a cop that has poor officer safety... I also see ems coming to the mans aid after I dumped him on the ground or tazed his ass for not following instructions. Also probably would have dumped his ass when he got out of his car and approached me. The cop should have secured the gun, also should have never let fatty get back in his truck to retrieve paperwork... After I had biggun on the ground disarmed, and cuffed, I would have held the women at gunpoint, made her raise her hands and walk backwards till she was where i could safely watch both SUSPECTS on the ground till backup arrived. I have done this type scenario many times... Also before you bastards criticize my answer... How was the deputy supposed to know the fat guy had a concealed carry permit... Do criminals lie? Do they kill cops? Just because you have been granted the privilege to carry, doesn't mean that you have the right to disobey direct orders from LEO while conducting and investigation... He would go to jail for everything I could find in the four inch thick FL statue book... As well as the expired tag..... And I would seize his gun just to make him go through the hassle of getting it back.... It would take at the very least 6 months, I have seen it done many times..... Also I see no issue with the language... Register your vehicle and don't ask for trouble if it hurts your feelings getting cussed at..... Language is a trained tactic and is proven to be very affective, also it is not illegal, nor a policy violation.....

Last edited:

D_Shane

Shooter
    The driver should not have just gotten out of the van like that. He should have waited for any instructions by the officer.
    First things from his mouth should have been to inform the officer he was carrying concealed and had a permit.
    When the officer told him to lay down, he turning in what could be interpreted as a defiant manner.

He was acting in a manner, from the beginning of the stop, that would give the officer reason to be suspicious. Getting out to confront the officer. Reaching back inside to get paperwork he came back out, and reached back in again. Knowing he had a firearm where he did he kept dropping his hands and and turning sideways to the officer.

Every traffic stop an officer is doing is pretty much going in blind. He has NO idea who you are, what your intentions are or what to expect. Acting in the manner the driver did would have gotten anyone hyper alert. As far as repeatedly telling the officer he has a permit means squat at that point. The bad guys never lie right? Had he been up front with the officer I'm sure it would have turned out completely different.
    Saying he would shoot him in the back? His back was mostly turned to the officer at that point. If he drew that pistol- then damn right he should have taken one in the back.

In my opinion, the officer did what he had to do to preserve his safety, and was justified. The driver appeared confrontational.

People should really have the opportunity to experience a traffic stop and see what it's like to be in the shoes of an officer.

Mullet Hunter

Master
    The driver should not have just gotten out of the van like that. He should have waited for any instructions by the officer.
    First things from his mouth should have been to inform the officer he was carrying concealed and had a permit.
    When the officer told him to lay down, he turning in what could be interpreted as a defiant manner.

He was acting in a manner, from the beginning of the stop, that would give the officer reason to be suspicious. Getting out to confront the officer. Reaching back inside to get paperwork he came back out, and reached back in again. Knowing he had a firearm where he did he kept dropping his hands and and turning sideways to the officer.

Every traffic stop an officer is doing is pretty much going in blind. He has NO idea who you are, what your intentions are or what to expect. Acting in the manner the driver did would have gotten anyone hyper alert. As far as repeatedly telling the officer he has a permit means squat at that point. The bad guys never lie right? Had he been up front with the officer I'm sure it would have turned out completely different.
    Saying he would shoot him in the back? His back was mostly turned to the officer at that point. If he drew that pistol- then damn right he should have taken one in the back.

In my opinion, the officer did what he had to do to preserve his safety, and was justified. The driver appeared confrontational.

People should really have the opportunity to experience a traffic stop and see what it's like to be in the shoes of an officer.

Spot on... And alot cleaner than mine....

kawiking888

Expert
    The retired PPD officer that taught my CC class said that he wouldn't recommend immediately notifying officer of CCL during a standard traffic stop because it makes officer unease and lengthens your stop time to run you gun serial number.

Drauka99

Marksman
    The retired PPD officer that taught my CC class said that he wouldn't recommend immediately notifying officer of CCL during a standard traffic stop because it makes officer unease and lengthens your stop time to run you gun serial number.

I have asked dozens of officers this question and all of them gave me different answers.

D_Shane

Shooter
    I have never had a serial number check on my gun during a stop. Each time they have asked WHERE the gun was at on my person, and only once did they ask for the gun. Actually I guess it may have been ran once then. He took it with him back to his car, but was back in less than a minute. Gave me a warning for the taillight, handed the pistol back to me with the magazine and round out of the gun. No long delay. BUT I would have no problem being delayed longer if they had to run a check on the gun.
    You never know when you will be asked to step out, and then what's going to happen if he sees a little bulge, or for whatever reason, the gun is now found.

Personally, I feel much more comfortable letting them know up front. Make it as easy as possible for the officer whenever you can. If it's at night- turn inside lights on. Tinted windows- roll them down as soon as you stop.
    I drive one handed (one wristed rather) but I will have both hands on top of the steering wheel before he gets to my window.

SAWMAN

Master
    The gentleman being stopped should have obeyed the officer. Remembering it is not my DUTY to tell the officer that I have a concealed weapon until he asked. When he did I would say...." I have a permit from the state of Florida to carry a concealed weapon. I have the permit and the weapon on me at this time. I fully intend to comply with what you ask me to do". Wondering how many other people this POS cop has treated this way ??

I though that the Fla. law was changed re. accidental display of your legally carried concealed firearm ??

Now MULLET HUNTER.....reading your post #9 above I personally am awful glad that you are not a LEO anymore. The post is super arrogant,condescending,and waaaaay overbearing. You sound as if the public should kiss your ass. Supposedly,you worked for the public. Your macho,better than the public attitude is offensive in the least. Reading your above tells me you were a cop that gives cops a bad name/reputation. If this is how you acted as a sworn person that was supposed to protect the public,I personally would not want to have anything to do with you and your attitude would not be allowed if you worked for me.(however I'm sure your union would protect you) You are a prime reason as why the cops are in court all the time,costing taxpayers millions of dollars.

Hopefully you are not a cop anymore and not too soon. Your attitude would make you a menace to society instead of a protector. Would recommend you put down the firearms and pick up the fishing pole. It probably would be better for everyone that you are associated with.

AND........have a great day. --- SAWMAN

Ric-san

Master
    Real good replies here, thanks to all both LEO and non-LEO. I would say this is a good example of a learning experience to all of us on the do's and dont's if you are a C/C holder. I have tow buddies I grew up with in Chicago who are both LEO's, one in Chicago suburbs, the other in Mohave County AZ. I pass all stuff like this to them to get their perspective, but have read osme good points here. Im not going to pass judment on anyone, we would all not act 100% the same in this situation....lesson(s) learned. I did think personally that the language used by the LEO was over the top myself, and after 20 yrs in the Marines, I'm no 'unique snowflake'. Be professional...just my $.02

Mullet Hunter

Master
    The gentleman being stopped should have obeyed the officer. Remembering it is not my DUTY to tell the officer that I have a concealed weapon until he asked. When he did I would say...." I have a permit from the state of Florida to carry a concealed weapon. I have the permit and the weapon on me at this time. I fully intend to comply with what you ask me to do". Wondering how many other people this POS cop has treated this way ??

I though that the Fla. law was changed re. accidental display of your legally carried concealed firearm ??

Now MULLET HUNTER.....reading your post #9 above I personally am awful glad that you are not a LEO anymore. The post is super arrogant,condescending,and waaaaay overbearing. You sound as if the public should kiss your ass. Supposedly,you worked for the public. Your macho,better than the public attitude is offensive in the least. Reading your above tells me you were a cop that gives cops a bad name/reputation. If this is how you acted as a sworn person that was supposed to protect the public,I personally would not want to have anything to do with you and your attitude would not be allowed if you worked for me.(however I'm sure your union would protect you) You are a prime reason as why the cops are in court all the time,costing taxpayers millions of dollars.

Hopefully you are not a cop anymore and not too soon. Your attitude would make you a menace to society instead of a protector. Would recommend you put down the firearms and pick up the fishing pole. It probably would be better for everyone that you are associated with.

AND........have a great day. --- SAWMAN

Until you do the job shut your suckhole Mr Seal......

Marksman
    Protect and Serve has mostly become Harass and Intimidate for most departments in the last decade or so for many reasons but mostly to rape the driver in traffic stops for the most $$$ the local courts can get out of you. Saw a guy the other day who said Slimerdale AL PD got him for about $200 for a burned out license plate light. And oh once we have you pulled over we need to search your vehicle for whatever we can find to possibly turn this burned out light into a felony arrest.

flyandscuba

Master
    The bad language "technique" unfortunatey is common in the academies today... It's garbage - but being perpetuated by instructors who don't have a good grasp on the proper use of the English language. Unprofessional for sure -- but it also shows tremendous insecurity on the part of the LEO using it.

If you want to be perceived and treated as a professional -- act like a professional.

Both parties made poor choices in the video. Fortunately, things didn't turn out worse.

Top Bottom