• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jason

Master
    I do have a S&W 686 6" Factory bright mirror polished finish which appears to have never been fired. I can't make up my mind if I want to shoot it or not. I bought it on Gunbroker from a estate sale. No box or paperwork. It's killing me trying to decide. Your thoughts?

Heck, every once in a while I go out and shoot my Python and my ole mans 45 he carried in Vietnam. Guns are meant to be shot...well they use to, but now that ammo is crazy I conserve as much as I can!!! hahaha

Molon Labe

Expert
    Earlier in the thread, the subject of the FHP Colt Python came up. There were 93 produced (plus a 4 inch barrel prototype, which lives in Pensacola.) These came thru Colt Custom Shops in the early to mid '80's.

In 1989, a Smith & Wesson 686 was produced by Commemorative Firearms, Ltd., Richmond, VA. It was for the 50th Anniversary of the FHP (1939-1989.) Like the Colt, it was bright silver, acid engraved (etched) and came in a nice custom box with an optional glass cover. There were 394 made. The price was $600-650, depending on which box you wanted.

Both my Colt and my S&W are safe queens with plastic wire ties snugging the hammer against the frame, never been cocked by me... purists will remind you they have been test fired. I must have missed the recall notice.

Ron

Expert
    There are lots of articles online describing the S&W 586 / 686 recall. They regard the early model years 1981 - 1986 I believe. They are the no dash and -1 models. Seems like a few people had a issue with certain magnum loads which would lock up the cylinder. The S&W recall replaces the firing pin bushing. Most people claim they never had a problem with theirs but some blamed it on Federal primers. If your S&W 586 or 686 had the factory recall performed, there will be a letter M stamped inside the frame just above the s/n and below the model number.

PINELOG

Expert
    There are lots of articles online describing the S&W 586 / 686 recall. They regard the early model years 1981 - 1986 I believe. They are the no dash and -1 models. Seems like a few people had a issue with certain magnum loads which would lock up the cylinder. The S&W recall replaces the firing pin bushing. Most people claim they never had a problem with theirs but some blamed it on Federal primers. If your S&W 586 or 686 had the factory recall performed, there will be a letter M stamped inside the frame just above the s/n and below the model number.
    Hey there Ron , I kinda feel like Jason does . They were meant to be shot . If your gonna keep it shoot it . You can always shoot it when your feeling nostalgic. Lol

Molon Labe

Expert
    I appreciate the info. I'll check it out.

Ron

Expert
    If I didn't have so many other guns to shoot, it would be easy! My favorite guns I shoot are my 45 LC six shooters. It just feels kind of weird to shoot something that's sat around for so long that's never been shot before. Kinda takes the fun out of it if you know what I mean? I still can't figure out why the original owner never shot this gun? It's not like if it was a Python or something! I'm still deciding and thanks for your thoughts!

Molon Labe

Expert
    If I didn't have so many other guns to shoot, it would be easy! My favorite guns I shoot are my 45 LC six shooters. It just feels kind of weird to shoot something that's sat around for so long that's never been shot before. Kinda takes the fun out of it if you know what I mean? I still can't figure out why the original owner never shot this gun? It's not like if it was a Python or something! I'm still deciding and thanks for your thoughts!
    I'm like you. I've got everything from .22s to .44 mags to shoot, handguns and rifles (if I can afford the ammo.) I have a friend who said his wife opines there is no pair of shoes too pretty to wear, for an analogy. I'll probably just let my commemoratives sit and let my son decide what to do with them.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Expert
    I'm like you. I've got everything from .22s to .44 mags to shoot, handguns and rifles (if I can afford the ammo.) I have a friend who said his wife opines there is no pair of shoes too pretty to wear, for an analogy. I'll probably just let my commemoratives sit and let my son decide what to do with them.
    I'm afraid if I leave it up to my son to decide, it will end up at some estate sale just like it came from! Then somebody else will get to decide!

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    I do have a S&W 686 6" Factory bright mirror polished finish which appears to have never been fired. I can't make up my mind if I want to shoot it or not. I bought it on Gunbroker from a estate sale. No box or paperwork. It's killing me trying to decide. Your thoughts?

shoot it. Does not hurt the price since there is no box or paperwork. Just don’t bang it up and clean it well.

dogamus rex

Master
    Whats the point of having nice guns and not shooting them, unless you are a high end collector where you leave them in a box in a glass cabinet, Shoot em. I really enjoy shooting my Python, thats why you buy them, at least I do.

MAXman

Master
    Was wondering if it’s still for sale? I’ll take it for 600$ if you can meet tomorrow between 5pm and 6pm at the gas station a block from my house.

Welldoya

Master

I know exactly what you mean. I’ve got a Browning High Power I bought new in the mid 80s that I never shot. Seems a shame to shoot it now, especially since they quit making them.
    But I’ve got another one just like it that I have shot.

Ron

Expert
    I know exactly what you mean. I’ve got a Browning High Power I bought new in the mid 80s that I never shot. Seems a shame to shoot it now, especially since they quit making them.
    But I’ve got another one just like it that I have shot.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I'm glad to see that you and Molon Labe understand how I feel. I was thinking about getting another 586 or 686 that I know has been shot and enjoy it while sitting on this one. But I do understand what others mean when they say go ahead and shoot it. That's why it's a hard choice to make. I mean this gun is pristine! 100%. Looks like it just left the factory, not a single scratch anywhere. And it's almost 35 years old! I bought it thinking it was a daily shooter already shot! Now I wish I had never bought it... Glad I have other guns to shoot but it's still a tough call and I'm still undecided..

Welldoya

Master
    You might consider selling yours for a premium, putting a few hundred $ in your pocket and buying a shooter.
    Although, collectors that are willing to pay crazy prices usually want the full package with box and papers.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter

deeyam...that is one sexy gun, is for sale, or are you just making me uncomfortable?

getting a gun woody looking at that.

Ron

Expert
    deeyam...that is one sexy gun, is for sale, or are you just making me uncomfortable?

getting a gun woody looking at that.
    LOL. To be completely honest, I'm on the fence as the comment above by Welldoya makes sense.

Latest posts

Top Bottom