• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    I'm not a fan of Sigs either. The bore axis is too high for me, but that's just a personal preference. I will stick with tactical tubberware/plastic fantastic Glocks.

If you like the G19, you should look at the HK P30, it spanks it, in every single aspect.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    I'm not a fan of Sigs either. The bore axis is too high for me, but that's just a personal preference. I will stick with tactical tubberware/plastic fantastic Glocks.

Ok so I have been against Glocks because I do not feel like they are safe.

You'll change your mind AGAIN, after you shoot one... :tape2:

And in terms of bore axis, the next time we shoot together, you bring your glock, and I'll bring one of my 226's and we will set up an IDPA target and let the timer do the talking. I am willing to bet that bore axis won't hinder my spanking that ass when it comes to splits and shots on target. :boink:

If you like the G19, you should look at the HK P30, it spanks it, in every single aspect.

The ergos of those guns are fantastic, BUT... I had a hard time keeping my thumbs away from that enormous slide release lever when I shot one.

Dan1612

Master
    The P30 was designed for a weaver grip (thumbs down). Paul's about to get mine. The boss decided it's too big for her to carry. Awesome gun though.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    I would like to shoot it, that SA trigger is real nice I bet.

The DA/SA on my standard 226 is sweet too, with the 17 pound hammer spring I believe the DA pull is ~6 pounds and the SA pull is ~3-3.5

I adjusted the overtravel on the X5 last night and measured it, it was under 2.5 pounds and with the overtravel taken out of the equation, it feels even better!

photo (41).jpg

Attachments

• photo (41).jpg
      photo (41).jpg
      94.9 KB · Views: 176

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    How did that that gorgeous Sig perform on the compitition shoot?

I really really enjoyed shooting it at the match, I was not used to the thumb safety being in my way when doing mag changes and releasing the slide, but that will be easy to overcome.

The morning after the match, I took it out of my range bag for cleaning, and the pistol had surface rust all over... I had cleaned and lubed the pistol prior to the match, and typically will break down the pistols and clean them the following day after I shoot if it has been a long hot day on the range, haven't had a problem with the cleaning regimen with any of my other weapons.

It is back at Sig now, and they claim that after less than 1 week of ownership, and ~12 hours after exposure to the humidity during the match that I failed to properly maintain the pistol. When the supervisor called me back (after I was presented with a quote to have the pistol refinished) he was unaware of the length of time I had owned the pistol, and so was the gunsmith who inspected the pistol and stated that I had failed to properly maintain it, in spite of my including a copy of my receipt for the pistol when I sent it in.

Sig's customer service really sucks, there is no way that I should be put through this after buying one of their top of the line pistols.

The supervisor's supervisor will be back in the office tomorrow, I will know then where he stands on the issue. If they refuse to fix it, I will have it sent back as is, and get it cerakoted.

I know that stainless steel isn't rust proof, but I don't think that it should be that susceptible to rust, so I guess even if I do get them to refinish it, if it isn't constantly and completely bathed in oil, I will have the same problem over and over.... so maybe the I will have to get it cerakoted anyway.

Crappy situation either way.

photo 4 (7).JPG

photo 1 (15).jpg

photo 5 (5).jpg

photo 1 (16).jpg

photo 3 (15).jpg

Attachments

• photo 4 (7).JPG
      photo 4 (7).JPG
      61.3 KB · Views: 148
    • photo 1 (15).jpg
      photo 1 (15).jpg
      122.3 KB · Views: 136
    • photo 5 (5).jpg
      photo 5 (5).jpg
      103.3 KB · Views: 134
    • photo 1 (16).jpg
      photo 1 (16).jpg
      124.2 KB · Views: 149
    • photo 3 (15).jpg
      photo 3 (15).jpg
      124.4 KB · Views: 135

TraderDan

Master
    WOW Ian, I haven't had any problem like that with any of mine, I am sure it is a defective finish. I can't imagine what you could have done that I haven't and mine are over 2 years old. I do wipe them down but do not smear them in oil, so I would have to say something is wrong with that finish to be doing it all over?? Or is it unfinished stainless??

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    WOW Ian, I haven't had any problem like that with any of mine, I am sure it is a defective finish. I can't imagine what you could have done that I haven't and mine are over 2 years old. I do wipe them down but do not smear them in oil, so I would have to say something is wrong with that finish to be doing it all over?? Or is it unfinished stainless??

I have 2 other sigs with stainless slides, and I have carried one of them for over a week at a time in a hybrid holster without any issues, sweat and all. The X5 is bead blasted stainless as far as I know.

Kanaloa

Master
    Something is wrong with it! A good protective surface for the pistol is the purpose of that finish. They better do you right.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Something is wrong with it! A good protective surface for the pistol is the purpose of that finish. They better do you right.

From the stance both the initial rep, as well as his supervisor took, I'd imagine that I will be getting this thing back in the same condition that I sent it.

"Our gunsmiths deal with rusted pistols that have been neglected or improperly maintained on a regular basis, and are experienced enough to recognize when there is a maintenance related issue" was what the supervisor told me.

That was when I asked if he had seen the receipt, indicating that at the time that I sent it in that it was less than a week old, and he had not, nor had the gunsmith, and he became defensive indicating that a pistol could easily be improperly cared for and be in this condition within a day or two, citing an example of a man wearing a stainless pistol in a sweat soaked leather holster causing similar rust in 2 days time.

I guess I will get word tomorrow on what his supervisor has to say, my hopes aren't high.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Well I guess I will go ahead and put my foot in my mouth now.

I just got an email back from the supervisor:

Hi Ian,

I spoke with my supervisor, and we are going to replace your pistol as a courtesy this time. We simply need the name and contact info for the dealer you would like us to send your replacement to since it is a new serialized part. Once we have that information, it will take a few days to transfer to replacement from our primary facility over to our repair shop for inspection and shipping. Please provide the information requested, and we will set up the replacement. Thanks.

That is exactly how I expected that it would be handled when I sent it in, minus the drama and resistance. I am glad that they are doing the right thing, and hope the new one shoots groups just like the other one did (and doesn't get covered in rust).

Hopefully the supervisor's supervisor imparted some customer service wisdom on the rest of the staff there and anyone else with an issue like this won't encounter the same resistance that I did.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    The new one is shipping out today, they inspected it, and installed the correct fiber optic front sight on it and said that everything is "in spec" including the finish.

After my experience I was planning on selling the new pistol on gunbroker, and trying to recoup the funds, but they sent some pics of it along with the notice that it was shipping, and I don't think that I will be able to part with it...

photo 1 (18).JPG

photo 2 (21).JPG

photo 4 (7).JPG

photo 3 (16).JPG

Attachments

• photo 1 (18).JPG
      photo 1 (18).JPG
      145.9 KB · Views: 106
    • photo 2 (21).JPG
      photo 2 (21).JPG
      147.6 KB · Views: 102
    • photo 4 (7).JPG