• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Long Range Nut

Shooter
    So new to the Florida hunting…

I grabbed my annual fishing and hunting license a month ago and put in for the Ocala and few other units. I ended up getting a phase 2 Green Swamp general gun permit.

I’ve tried locating information on if it’s an antlered deer or antlerless, or if it even matters. The information I’ve pulled seems really cluttered.

Could someone explain how the seasons work, is Green Swamp 1141 a special unit I’m allowed to hunt or is it anywhere within the Green Swamp.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_8045.png
      IMG_8045.png
      285.6 KB · Views: 23

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Go to MyFWC.com and print off the WMA brochure for Green Swamp, it tells you the specifics for that WMA as each WMA can possibly have different rules.

No antlerless in Green Swamp during general gun that I'm aware of. I use to hunt that place a lot twenty years ago. Crowded with assholes... don't wonder far from your vehicle.

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/Green%20Swamp%20(2).pdf

General Gun Season: December 7 February 2 Permit, Stamp and License Requirements Quota permit (if hunting during first 9 days) or daily quota permit, hunting license, management area permit, deer permit (if hunting deer), migratory bird permit (if hunting migratory birds), and state waterfowl permit and federal duck stamp (if hunting waterfowl). Legal to Hunt Deer with at least 1 antler having 3 or more points (each point 1inch or more in length) OR a main beam length of 10 inches or more, wild hog, gray squirrel, quail, rabbit, raccoon, opossum, armadillo, beaver, coyote, skunk, nutria, bobcat, otter, migratory birds in season, and nonprotected birds.

The map shows area open to hunting...

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/Green%20Swamp_map.pdf

Last edited:

Long Range Nut

Shooter
    appreciate the response. I’m guessing the wandering from truck has to do with theft/vandalism?

So I can get 1 antlered deer, but I can also hunt for a hog during that time as well?

Welldoya

Master
    “Crowded with assholes... don't wander far from your vehicle.”

That’s exactly why I quit hunting public land over 30 years ago.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    appreciate the response. I’m guessing the wandering from truck has to do with theft/vandalism?

So I can get 1 antlered deer, but I can also hunt for a hog during that time as well?

Pretty sure hog is year round... not sure what the hog population is as they have conducted eradication projects in recent years.

I hunted the area in the mid 1980's for about five years and briefly upon returning to Florida in 2003. There are a lot of locals that hunt that area and they think they own the place, at least that's how it use to be. You park and hunt too close to Billy-Bob's stand you might come back to a truck with flat tires.

Last time I took my son we camped out at the camp area by the power lines off SR471 when he was about eight or nine. We were no strangers... all the camps around us knew full well I had a kid with me... that didn't stop them from getting slobbering drunk and talking "man-talk" throughout the night. A few times I started to go say something... but didn't want to wake up to my truck on fire.

I've never been back... hopefully things have been cleaned up.

I highly recommend Jumper Creek WMA... that's where I started going after my brief time at Green Swamp. Seems fewer folks go there because it's rougher going and not as easily accessed with lots of roads. Best place is to go in at Shell Island if you have a boat. Of course it's been perhaps fifteen years since I've been there but it still appears to be a better WMA.

ETA- if you get down that way, be sure to check out RICHLOAM GENERAL STORE for a nice look at old Florida history. I use to work with the guy who runs it...

RICHLOAM GENERAL STORE

Last edited:

Long Range Nut

Shooter
    So it will be an adventure to behold ha. I was lucky to get a permit considering the timeline of me arriving in Florida. By then I shouldn’t have my Nevada plates, will just have to dirty the new Florida plates to fit in.

It’s definitely different terrain than the Oregon and Nevada areas I’m used to, I usually set up the tripod and get ready for a 3-400 yard shot.

Really appreciate the links and feedback, sounds like it may be worth it to head north next year and pay to play

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    So it will be an adventure to behold ha. I was lucky to get a permit considering the timeline of me arriving in Florida. By then I shouldn’t have my Nevada plates, will just have to dirty the new Florida plates to fit in.

It’s definitely different terrain than the Oregon and Nevada areas I’m used to, I usually set up the tripod and get ready for a 3-400 yard shot.

Really appreciate the links and feedback, sounds like it may be worth it to head north next year and pay to play

Make damn sure to take a compass or two. The canopy can be thick making navigation via the sun difficult and in some places GPS and cell service is likewise compromised. Every year we have multiple man hunts to assist lost hunters, which not all are idiots, their one system just failed at the wrong time.

Skeeters and ticks are a serious problem most of the season here in central FL until it gets below about fifty-degrees. A thermacell is your best friend and does not spook game. It can be 40 degrees at 5am and 65-70 by lunch time. Afternoon hunts are the main problem as it warms up. 100% Deet will help with the tick issues.

The only places I'll hunt down here when it comes to WMA's is Jumper Creek and Half Moon, which is a special quota hunt that's hard to get but worth the wait.

If you're serious about enjoying southeastern whitetail hunting, seek out a club from central FL northward. It's well worth the $1k-$2K price tag IMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom