• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler0421

Expert
    Anyone here have their safe in the Garage? I have nowhere in my house to put a safe. I am fixing to buy one to put in my garage but trying to look at Dehumidifying options. Anyone have any input? Also, if you have a used safe for sale let me know. Thanks!

Welldoya

Master
    I've known several people that had their safes in the garage and it didn't hurt a thing.
    I would get a good dehumidifier (about $200) in the garage and also put a bowl of damp rid or a couple of those rechargeable mini-dehumidifiers in the safe. Or a golden rod.
    A long-term alternative would be to get a heat pump water heater. They dehumidify the air while heating your water.
    A small window unit AC would be another thing you could do.

rick1967

Shooter
    Eva dry 1100. I empty mine twice a week in the summer and once every 2 weeks in the winter. It has been running for 2 or 3 years with no problems. It keeps the humidity at 60% in the summer and 50% in the winter

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    An Eva-Dry E-333 along with rotating in and out containers of Damp Rid has worked well for me for many years.

drew

Expert
    My only "issue" with safes in garages...$0.02 from a noob...

My great grandfather once had a MASSIVE safe stolen from him. The people who stole it wrapped it in a giant chain and pulled it right out of his store (through a brick wall i believe).

My thoughts are, if you store a safe in a garage - it could potentially make it almost *too* easy to steal.

I don't know how your house is set up though, this may not be an issue for you at all.

lonesouth

Expert
    My only "issue" with safes in garages...$0.02 from a noob...

My great grandfather once had a MASSIVE safe stolen from him. The people who stole it wrapped it in a giant chain and pulled it right out of his store (through a brick wall i believe).

My thoughts are, if you store a safe in a garage - it could potentially make it almost *too* easy to steal.

I don't know how your house is set up though, this may not be an issue for you at all.

gun safes really only keep the kids from getting to them. Anyone who really wants it will use a chaisaw on the side of the house/around the safe, and a chain to tote it out.

Kind of like anti-theft on cars, keeps the amateurs at bay, but someone who really wants it will use a rollback.

If you are really worried about the value of what is inside, make a detailed list and add a specific contents rider to your insurance.

drew

Expert
    Oh, for sure, it goes without saying that if someone wants your stuff bad enough - they'll get it. Good point about the insurance as well.

Top Bottom