• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Picked up a new safe from Academy. Disappointed that the safe walls are stripped and the shelf supports are all loose. I stopped for the night after unpacking it. I'm sure some bigger screws and moving the brackets a hair to each side will be fine, but this is a larger safe and I plan to pack the shelf full. Any opinions on fasteners?
    IMG_20240522_183253837.jpg
    IMG_20240522_183337171.jpg
    IMG_20240522_183342853.jpg
    IMG_20240522_183726829.jpg

Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    My next problem is I built a frame the dimensions of the safe. The way it has to turn, it's exact. Well, didn't account for the knob for the door mechanism. Going to pull the door jamb completely out of my master bedroom this weekend and go from there. May have to take the door off of the safe for it to clear too.
    @Jester896 any suggestions on removing the door off the safe?
    Sports A field 64 gun

Last edited:

Southalabama

Master
    I thought interiors basically fire rock (gypsum) covered with carpet? But not sure normal sheetrock anchors gonna work. Don’t have the depth.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    If it is exposed hinges like I saw just jack the door off the hinge pins

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    If it is exposed hinges like I saw just jack the door off the hinge pins
    Exposed hinges. I was wondering if it would slip off.
    Going to try it with it on first. Bedroom door jamb has to come out regardless. Depending how much it's shimmed from the framework, I may have a mile of room without having to mess with the safe.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    How did things work out bud??
    Safe is in place. Pulled one side of the door jamb off and it slide right in. Didn't have to mess with the safe door.
    Haven't had the time to address the shelving supports. There is already some short and wide screw type anchor on the walls. One is complete stripped out, the other 3 are in place but all loose. Might as well call them stripped. Appears to be 1/2" of particle board and a 1/2" drywall on the walls.

Oldergeek

Expert
    Stage, My 2Cents is that all the screws are for is to just keep the brackets against the walls. They don't have anything to do with actually weight support. The shelves should sort of "pin" them in place and the weight is born by the metal brackets from the bottom up. Screws are just to keep the bracket in place so anything really will do.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Stage, My 2Cents is that all the screws are for is to just keep the brackets against the walls. They don't have anything to do with actually weight support. The shelves should sort of "pin" them in place and the weight is born by the metal brackets from the bottom up. Screws are just to keep the bracket in place so anything really will do.
    These brackets are only a foot long per side and are completely suspended by the fasteners. Brackets do not go to the floor of the safe

Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Those shelves will sag if loaded down. Trust me.
    Cheap particle board for sure. I am going to build a divider for a center support. May carpet a piece of 3/4 plywood and do away with a divider. I'm thinking on it before I do something and then change my mind.

850guns

Master
    Cheap particle board for sure. I am going to build a divider for a center support. May carpet a piece of 3/4 plywood and do away with a divider. I'm thinking on it before I do something and then change my mind.
    Build your own. With a center support. And load it down. Don't forget to check clearance with door closed.

FLT

Master
    Gold bars are heavy, you might have to make a stand out of angle iron.

just kidding, but I did have to make as stand out of angle iron and plywood because I wanted to store ammunition in a old 24 gun safe . Ammo gets pretty heavy quick when you have several cases of it.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Gold bars are heavy, you might have to make a stand out of angle iron.

just kidding, but I did have to make as stand out of angle iron and plywood because I wanted to store ammunition in a old 24 gun safe . Ammo gets pretty heavy quick when you have several cases of it.
    Yep. I bought one of the "hd" shelve units for ammo from homo depot. About 6 months in, can see a sag in the shelves, so much for "400" lb rating.

hunter01

Master
    Both of my safes the the supports go all the way to the safe floor. This makes it more secure, its looks like with to much weight yours could pull out easily.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Both of my safes the the supports go all the way to the safe floor. This makes it more secure, its looks like with to much weight yours could pull out easily.
    My others do as well. May be why this thing was such a good deal. Skimp on everything to keep costs down. Large storage at an attractive price. Paying on the back end as they say.

Oldergeek

Expert
    Well, you know it's hard to say why, but when I looked at your pictures I only saw the one showing the top view of the shelf with the supports disappearing underneath. I'm usually not that stupid. My apologies Stage :(

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Well, you know it's hard to say why, but when I looked at your pictures I only saw the one showing the top view of the shelf with the supports disappearing underneath. I'm usually not that stupid. My apologies Stage :(
    You could turn it around and say I take bad pictures. :)

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    you could also block the bottom of the bracket
    better yet if the construction is how I read it, you could replace them with ones that go all the way down. You can get them at Lowe's, Home Depot or other cabinet places. If the wood comes out you could drill through and use T-Nuts and machine screws to attach it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom