• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Droshki

Master
    Well, that's interesting. More details would be nice.

Fletch

Master
    Oh wow I was in San Diego for Christmas and snapped a shot of this Billboard in National City. My first initial reaction to it being practically in the Hispanic ghetto was that seems shady how do they get away with that in California of all places.

I googled and realized they were 80% lowers but still thought the location and theme of their advertising seemed to be taunting the big bull.

Guess I wasn't the only one who noticed. Will be interesting to see the outcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    utadejut.jpg

Droshki

Master
    Ah yes, thanks for that. My co-worker mentioned something about a billboard, but I don't think he was even aware of that little part at the bottom.

I can see where that got someone's attention, right or wrong.

Last edited:

Fletch

Master
    It appears that buying an 80% lower, while technically legal, may very well put one on the ATF's radar. According to the last link other companies have already turned over their records. Wonder what they plan to do with the info?

Maybe they initially green lighted the legality of these 80% lowers with the plan to seize the records all along and make a list of folks they deem suspect for trying to skirt the law.

One would hope they are only looking for folks who purchased large quantities of them which could indicate their intent was to manufacturer working firearms to sell on the black market.

Smart criminals would obviously pay cash and not use their real identities however. More likely that some poor bastard who read one to many freedom blogs and purchased a few to machine for family and friends will get a few years in federal prison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Iwb4me

Expert
    The owner's Instagram account now says that the ATF is currently searching his locations in violation of the restraining order.

Iwb4me

Expert
    @jeremyaresarmor if any of y'all use Instagram.

Droshki

Master
    Id like to see a copy of the restraining order. Can a state or local judge issue a restraining order against the federal government? Methinks that's questionable?

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator

Fletch

Master
    It was a US District Court who issued the RO but it had a clause that said it did not restrain lawful criminal proceedings which gave the ATF some wiggle room evidently. Ares Armor is not even an FFL according to the article.

http://www.examiner.com/article/atf...legal-gun-sales-response-to-restraining-order

Now that this has went so public the ATF is not going to back down and embolden other folks to push the limits of the current laws. He is screwed and probably a lot of the people on that list as well. He had balls to put that Billboard up I give him that, but in the end it's going to cause him much hardship unfortunately.

Droshki

Master
    Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Does anybody know: I would assume that provided with each of these 80% lowers, comes a copy of the letter from The BATF declaring them not to be a firearm?

I have seen this with similar products such as Sig Brace.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Does anybody know: I would assume that provided with each of these 80% lowers, comes a copy of the letter from The BATF declaring them not to be a firearm?

I have seen this with similar products such as Sig Brace.

The rub comes from the way they are manufactured because they have every thing easily identified/color coded to make it easy to finish into a firearm. The ATF contends that they manufacture it as a completed lower and then plug the appropriate parts, the manufacturer claims they start with the plug and manufacture the 80% lower around it.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    It was a US District Court who issued the RO but it had a clause that said it did not restrain lawful criminal proceedings which gave the ATF some wiggle room evidently. Ares Armor is not even an FFL according to the article.

http://www.examiner.com/article/atf...legal-gun-sales-response-to-restraining-order

Now that this has went so public the ATF is not going to back down and embolden other folks to push the limits of the current laws. He is screwed and probably a lot of the people on that list as well. He had balls to put that Billboard up I give him that, but in the end it's going to cause him much hardship unfortunately.

Pretty much the way I see it as well. You can do a lot of things in this country, but when you start rubbing it on the noses of those who whether you like or not have the power to make your life a real bitch; they will usually find a way to make your life a real bitch.
    Just my opinion, but the first time someone uses an AR pistol with a Sig Arm brace during a crime they will be changing their ruling on them as well.

Droshki

Master
    Yes, I read that, but presumably, they still previously issued a letter stating that they were OK to sell, Unless the contention is that the manufacturing process changed after the letter was issued?

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Hard to tell, but it could have. The lesson learned here is that just because something may be legal boasting about legally skirting a law will bring you unwanted attention. These are good dudes, but hosting build parties and putting up a billboard and essentially thumbing their nose was a serious lack of judgement.

FNHman

Marksman
    I thought Forcing someone to do things they don't want to do was determined to be equivalent to kidnapping? So wouldn't the ATF actions of fear tactics to obtain that list be similar to extortion and kidnapping?

Top Bottom