• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    PENSACOLA, Fla. (WEAR) Pensacola's largest gun show may not be impacted by President Barrack Obama's executive order on gun control. The North Florida Gun and Knife show will be the first local gun show since the President took aim at closing the so-called "gun show loophole" in the system.

Promoters for the event say not much will change since dealers are already required to perform background checks in the state of Florida.
    Private sellers and "hobbyist" are not required to performing background checks for their sales.

Randall Beach, resident agent in charge for the Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives told Channel Three some "hobbyist" regularly buy and sell guns as private sellers at shows.

Obama wants them to get dealers licenses, forcing them to do checks.
    Beach said the Presidents plan doesn't outline how to enforce his plan.

"There's no affect or force of law in those that affects any standing statues under the United State's codes," Beach said.

Beach told Channel Three's Jackalyn Kovac the timing in Obama's order doesn't give sellers enough time to obtain a license to sell as a dealer.

"There would be no possibility they could obtain a federal fire arms license, lets say in a two week time period or a three week time period," Beach said.

Skip Gwinn, Director of Marketing and Public Relations for the gun show, believes the lines at the show will be long, telling Channel Three the controversy is "good for business."

Gwinn suggests that all vendors should double check buyers' have IDs.

"Be sure to ask are you over 21? Which their driver's license will tell you that. Are they a Florida citizen? Yes because their going to have a Florida driver's license, and ask them a question, 'Are you a convicted felon?' and they say 'No," then you got that in writing, you're protecting yourself," Gwinn said.

flyandscuba

Master
    Randal Beach is one of the "good guys" in the ATF. He was instrumental in forcing FedEx to release and ship my firearms that were detoured to the "secure Fedex armory in Memphis" and held hostage there by FedEx company officials for over a month when I moved to Alaska.

TURTLE

Marksman
    IT's a great tool the pro gun control types can use to try to scare the crap out of the uneducated public. Rather than telling the truth & saying they want to require background checks for every firearm sale, even those that occur between two private citizens from the same state, it is a much better scare tactic to call it a gun show loophole which, if you are a scared liberal, seems to translate to the fact that all firearm sales at gun shows are conducted without any sort of background check. As you noted, any firearm sale from a FFL to a private citizen already requires a background check, regardless of whether the gun is sold from their storefront, or at a table the dealer sets up at a local gun show. It all started back in the bad old days when there were no cool online forums like GCGF for private citizens to congregate & buy/sell/trade firearms, so they either did it at their local gun club (on the bulletin board), or they would carry around guns they wanted to sell when they went to the local gun show since they knew all the local gun folks would be there. Used to be really common to see someone walking around with a rifle slung over their shoulder & a sign hanging off the barrel advertising how much they wanted for the gun. As long as the buyer & the seller were both private citizens, no background check was required by Federal or State law . . . Hence the dreaded "Gun Show Loophole" .

Same thing with the recent fuss about the "online gun sale loophole" that has been getting all the press lately. Cool forums like GCGF allow all the local private citizens to buy/sell/trade firearms without a background check being done (uh . . . yeah, because legally, there is no background check required as long as both parties are private citizens).

Sorry. I'll get down off the soapbox now.

How are they to track who sells what to who and when if there is no registration requirement and can never be one per the second amendment?

Welldoya

Master
    A friend of mine who lives in West Palm called me this morning. He just bought a GP100 from an on-line dealer. Bud's or Grabagun I think.
    I believe this will be his second firearm. He doesn't have a concealed permit.
    His FFL called him and said the gun came in. He went over there and he asked him if he had a permit. He told him no. He said "OK, then there's a 5 day wait which is probably just as well because there is a 3 hour back-up for a background check."
    I don't know if this is because of new regulations or just that many people are buying guns right now.
    I can't ever recall waiting more than 15 minutes.

Top Bottom