• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    AND---> +++1 re. Cabela's. If they would put a store somewhere between Destin and P'cola it would kick ass. The Ganders and Dicks stores would be SOL and probably gone within a year or so. Awhile back I took a drive over to the Cabela's just west of NOLA. Great store with some extremely knowledgeable associates. Super selection of guns,ammo,and associated equip. And ..... added bonus for me would be that I have a Cabela's credit card that I get a 5% kickback in Cabela's points on. This money can be used with Cabela's on line or in any Cabela's store. Right now I have almost $220. saved up.

I hear that the reason that there is no store in Fla. is something to do with taxes. --- SAWMAN

Welldoya

Master
    I don't want a Cabela's store in Florida. It's my favorite store and I buy a ton of stuff from them but I enjoy not paying tax.
    I honestly have no idea how much I have spent with them over the years and have only been disappointed once. About 2 months ago I ordered a Carhartt vest from them, on sale for something like $35, supposedly regularly $70. I expected a nice thick vest with lots of insulation. What a POS. It was obviously specially made to sell cheap. A "promotional item". Only thing I have every sent back and it cost me $11 to do so.

SAWMAN

Master
    I understand the thing about taxes. Obviously it would be Fla that would kill ya and not Cabela's ..... however,the fee would be collected.

In the last year or so Cabela's have come down on their shipping fees. A couple of years ago I got somewhat pissed at them for the super high shipping charges. At one point I was told by Cabela's that shipping was charged by the cost/value of the item. They wanted almost $20 to ship a small Leuplod scope. I basically quit doing business with them for some months.

Now they usually have a $5 shipping promo going on and if you ask you can get a pretty good deal with the shipping rates. Personally .... I will not buy the "normal" weight/sized stuff from them unless they are prepared to only charge me $5 for shipping weather the promo is going on or not. --- SAWMAN

Welldoya

Master
    You are right and especially this time of year they have deals on shipping, a lot of times free. This really helps when ordering ammo.

SAWMAN

Master
    Just got a thing from Cabela's. $20 coupon on min purchase of $100. FREE SHIPPING promo code --> 4FROSTY20

Time to get another Leupold or Zeiss I guess. --- SAWMAN

jmfillin1

Expert
    Ive lived almost within walking distance of mikes for about 20 years now, and have always bought lots of gear and accessories there, but never a gun (and never will for that matter). I had been in the market a while for an ar-15 and had spoke with an older gentlemen (and by older i mean 55-60 not 20-30) who was extremely helpful and informative yet was not a biased "know it all" we talked for about 30 min about everything from mosin's and sks's to ar's, i had decided that i would make my AR purchase from mike's the following week. I walked in as soon as i got off of work on friday with cash in hand (or in pocket) ready to purchase the weapon. As soon as i walked in (at 615-630) the dude behind the counter immediately said " we're about to close (they close at 7). I said "oh okay" and another younger dude said to the same guy who just told me they were about to close"hey uh does he know we're about to close?" i then said "yes ive heard" and walked out. I was upset and purchased my ar from another source, but did not give up and went back a couple weeks later to buy a "plano hard case" for my AR which they had on sale for 96.00 (after taxes), i sucked it up and bought it. I then went to walmart across the street a couple of days later and found the EXACT plano case for 69.00. I do not want to bash a business but will say i will not be making any purchases from there for a while.

Seanpcola

Ive lived almost within walking distance of mikes for about 20 years now, and have always bought lots of gear and accessories there, but never a gun (and never will for that matter). I had been in the market a while for an ar-15 and had spoke with an older gentlemen (and by older i mean 55-60 not 20-30) who was extremely helpful and informative yet was not a biased "know it all" we talked for about 30 min about everything from mosin's and sks's to ar's, i had decided that i would make my AR purchase from mike's the following week. I walked in as soon as i got off of work on friday with cash in hand (or in pocket) ready to purchase the weapon. As soon as i walked in (at 615-630) the dude behind the counter immediately said " we're about to close (they close at 7). I said "oh okay" and another younger dude said to the same guy who just told me they were about to close"hey uh does he know we're about to close?" i then said "yes ive heard" and walked out. I was upset and purchased my ar from another source, but did not give up and went back a couple weeks later to buy a "plano hard case" for my AR which they had on sale for 96.00 (after taxes), i sucked it up and bought it. I then went to walmart across the street a couple of days later and found the EXACT plano case for 69.00. I do not want to bash a business but will say i will not be making any purchases from there for a while.

I certainly understand your issue with that situation. Not that it matters now but I've been through something like that before and asked for the manager/owner. Got awesome satisfaction and a discount for pointing out a problem. I understand wanting to get off at a decent time but I was in customer service for many years. The company I worked for closed at 1:00 PM on Saturdays. I seldom made it out the door before 2:30. Sure, it sucked but since I got performance bonuses I regularly cleared about $20K a year more than my coworkers in the same position. I assume no one wanted to start a sale thinking that the call in would run past closing time. No excuse.

kendive

Master
    Everyone seems to have different experiences with these gun shops. I've really never had a bad one at any. Every time I've walked into Jay's, Mike's or whoever I was greeted nicely. I've had a couple of salesmen that were a bit arrogant but that stuff doesn't bother me.

Jay's: First time I went in I thought the prices were way high. Next time I went in I told them what I wanted, they gave me a good price, then when the guy was ringing me up he knocked another $25 off the agreed upon price. When I asked why he said he noticed it was my birthday that day.

Mike's: Always had a great experience.

Uber's: Never bought a firearm but have bought supplies and was treated well.

TGD: What can you say? Fantastic people.

Buck and Bass: Same as Mike's.

I don't know, maybe my demeanor has something to do with it. I don't come across as a pushover but then again Im not overbearing either.

Bass Pro, Gander and those other big box places: I don't expect the counter guys to know much. No different than auto parts stores or Walmart. Everything is dictated by corporate. I've never bought a firearm from any of them. The only way that will happen is if they are the only people that have what I want and the price is way low. I doubt that will ever happen. If I want something anyone can get it and I'm never in a hurry. I'm just not one of those people that decides I want something and then thinks it better be in my hands right NOW. I can always wait a week.

Agree...

Jason and I stopped by TGD yesterday and wow what a store just awesome.

Oh TDG thanks for the Beowulf round. It will go great with my collection. It's in the picture if you can find it. LOL

1211141823_zpse5d0006e.jpg

Famine

Master
    Stan, Pat or Kerry would have fixed that problem at Mike's in a hurry. Next time ask for one of them in that order. I have always had a great experience there and at TGD with Dave. I tend to wander thru all the local stores - have not made it to Jim's yet and other than the big box stores where the help needs help have had a great experience with all. I would rather deal with a local small business and pay a little more. The staff at the small stores normally are more likely to be gun enthusiasts and better able to help. Still there are times when the staff changes and new people hired that don't work out...again the smaller stores make those kind of personnel changes faster - they can't afford to continue to piss of customers and their management would like to hear about it - just make sure you don't present your problem to them as a personal attack.

my 3 cents

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Only store I buy from is Mikes...... Granted my father works there but compared to other places I have been, customer service is great. Probably explains why they are ALWAYS busy. Everyone is extremely knowledgeable plus the prices on firearms and bows beat every store I have been to around here. Only time I buy from somewhere else is for AR parts and ammo. Then I just get that stuff online.

Latest posts

Top Bottom