• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    You can buy long guns outta state just not pistols

Does it have to be an adjoining state? I've bought long guns in Alabama, but never tried it from a non-adjoining state.

Pay close attention to the words "licensee, and nonlicensee".

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibitionfor temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over–the–counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.

FrommerStop

Master
    In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over–the–counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.
    IIRC it is not legal for the citizen to cross state lines and buy a handgun or a shoulder arm directly from a civilian.

SAWMAN

Master
    I really cannot understand why,for a non FFL,buyers and sellers just don't go about their activities,not giving too much thought about where the other guys primary legal residence happens to be.
    Possibly a question for a prospective buyer should be - -> "Are you legally able to buy this firearm" ?? OR - - -> " Are you awhare of any law that would prevent you from buying this firearm" ?? PERIOD,END OF STORY,HERE IS YOUR MONEY and HERE IS YOUR GUN !! Have a great day. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: Please understand - -> I am noy suggesting that any non-FFL INTENTIONALLY break any law.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    I really cannot understand why,for a non FFL,buyers and sellers just don't go about their activities,not giving too much thought about where the other guys primary legal residence happens to be.
    Possibly a question for a prospective buyer should be - -> "Are you legally able to buy this firearm" ?? OR - - -> " Are you awhare of any law that would prevent you from buying this firearm" ?? PERIOD,END OF STORY,HERE IS YOUR MONEY and HERE IS YOUR GUN !! Have a great day. --- SAWMAN
    If the gun you sell is untraceable to you and the buyer is not working for the feds etc, all is well. If the gun is for some reason traced to you, you might have problems.

Here is a case where the firearm was sold to a felon where both vendor and purchaser were of the same state.

SHOCKING * ATF Came To My House PT1: Accused Me Of Selling Firearms Without A License

Realtor

Marksman
    ADDED: Please understand - -> I am noy suggesting that any non-FFL INTENTIONALLY break any law.
    I agree, you can do it on this side of that little river, however if you live on the opposite side of that little river..... it'll cost you more... still to this day, remember when people were saying, the ATF, or FDLE wasn't keeping records concerning background checks? If they weren't, how come they wanted the serial number of the gun? The thinks than make you go HHUUUMMMMM.... he he think about what Wells Fargo just handed their CC records over to the feds concerning 6 January,,,,

MAXman

Master
    If the gun you sell is untraceable to you and the buyer is not working for the feds etc, all is well. If the gun is for some reason traced to you, you might have problems.

Here is a case where the firearm was sold to a felon where both vendor and purchaser were of the same state.

SHOCKING * ATF Came To My House PT1: Accused Me Of Selling Firearms Without A License

Keeping in mind I happen to know some of those feds have accounts on gulf coast gun forum.

I’d strongly recommend against intentionally poking the atf in the eye, since they’ve proven through their actions they will shoot your dog and pat down your wife regardless of if they actually arrest anyone

Top Bottom