• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MauserLarry

Master
    I was labled a "meat eater" (mil def) before I turned 19.
    I was extremely proud of that added on title. It commanded respect from your brethren. It proved your worth,tenacity,ability to get jobs done that other entities would reject or NOT "volunteer " for. Your resolve to make a plus out of a ton of minuses. To make the impossible happen.
    Back in those days I could tell Navy Commanders and In some cases Captains what I needed,wanted,and expected. This,as a E-5,6,and Chief.
    When all the glory ended,I stayed "down" for a year or so.
    Then I (we) bounced back,knowing times had changed. We adapted to the political,the "out of the shadows" stuff,to our most everyday routine. Training,training,TRAINING !!
    I came close to getting out of the NAV but was "rescued " by a extremely close friend and my detailer. So I stayed for another 10 or so years. Glad I did now ..... but it was tough going for some time there. You know ... self worth and all that sh!t.
    A man can change if he is forced to,and can live with the ending result. I suppose that it is easyier for some than for others. ---- SAWMAN
    I have no doubt you had a very interesting career in the Navy. If I can ever get a break I definitely want to meet you and hear about it. I am thankful I never had the experiences you had. I was a tank commander and had my skills been required it was because the Warsaw Pact had crossed the Fulda gap and the big game was on. They had a 10 to 1 advantage in tanks at that time. They also had a 10 day timeline to get to the west coast of France. I’m sure it would have gone nuclear. What I don’t know is would we be around to discuss all this on the net. I’m grateful to the seals and special forces and all the other folks that do the “behind the scenes work” that keep the rest of our military not fighting. As far as change is concerned, if I had predicted what’s going on today when I was 15, I’d still be in an institution. I don’t like what’s going on today but all I can do is vote and even that seems to be ineffective nowadays. So until something pops up to cure the problem I’m going to “go along to get along”.

M118LR

Master
    SAWMAN you opened another can of worms. Half the Globe and half a Century away. Just image what a Man Eater is in todays vernacular! Perhaps we are the only pair that even knows more or less have had experience in the R.S.S.Z. So what do folks in this century comment about. 100 years ago the doughboy's came Home and the Roaring 20's happened. But by 1940 WWII was taking place. All those Gulf War I/A Vets are they going to witness the same thing that happened during WWII. At least Armies had different uniforms back in those times! Today's Vets (It started in NAM) don't even have the definition of a uniform to tell friend from foe. Movietone News brought US WWI & WWII, Walter Cronkite brought the War In NAM into the American living room with the 6 O' Clock News. Now we have UTUBE to bring the War into our viewing screen. Just how many Bad Deeds do others need to witness being preformed by Good Men to shake the foundation of America's belief system????
    How much "Hard Bark" do todays Vets need to justify to the American Public???
    To assure them that they are still the "GOOD GUY'S" of Hollywood Western Lure?
    Both the times and terms have changed in Todays World.
    Old folks that slogged through the R.S.S.Z. are forgotten History. JMHO.

It ain't that hard to find a UDT or SEAL Team Member that served in the R.S.S.Z., but just how many USMC Marines are left that cleared the R.S.S.Z. prior to the UDT or SEAL Team Members pulling operations in the area?

Last edited:

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    This whole conversation was a Bard Hark.
    It made about the much sense.
    Now, back to the gun stuff....

M118LR

Master
    This whole conversation was a Bard Hark.
    It made about the much sense.
    Now, back to the gun stuff....

Just how many firearms did you expect to be in service with the members of UDT 11,12, or 13 during thier time in service Jerry? Guess what those folks had for arms? A little google time should be expected.

SAWMAN

Master
    I can name about 15 without google.
    I suspect about 25 or so. Including shotguns and crew served machine guns.
    Not to mention the ones that were HIGHLY modified to the point of being unrecognizable.
    Then there was the ammo. ---- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    I can name about 15 without google.
    I suspect about 25 or so. Including shotguns and crew served machine guns.
    Not to mention the ones that were HIGHLY modified to the point of being unrecognizable.
    Then there was the ammo. ---- SAWMAN
    Necessity drove invention, some went on to be large sellers (ie Model 59 S&W) and others faded into the realm of footnotes in History.

M118LR

Master
    "Hush Puppy"
    ---- SAWMAN View attachment 138845
    You know, I go off topic and all these folks whine about firearms related. Then suddenly when it comes to firearms it becomes a conversation between two Old Squids. Go figure????
    What ain't any of the other members handled or heard of this firearm??????
    Thanks for photo Sawman.

Fear21

Master
    You know, I go off topic and all these folks whine about firearms related. Then suddenly when it comes to firearms it becomes a conversation between two Old Squids. Go figure????
    Thanks for photo Sawman.
    Heard of it, never seen one outside of photographs. Neat piece of kit.

M118LR

Master
    Heard of it, never seen one outside of photographs. Neat piece of kit.
    The two most unusual modifications, one the exceeding high front sight and two the locking lever. The front sight was raised to allow it to overlook the suppressor. The slide lock was to stop the action from cycling and generating more noise than the subsonic projectile passing through the baffles.

Fear21

Master
    The two most unusual modifications, one the exceeding high front sight and two the locking lever. The front sight was raised to allow it to overlook the suppressor. The slide lock was to stop the action from cycling and generating more noise than the subsonic projectile passing through the baffles.
    There's also a version of the M9 that has a similar setup.

RackinRay

Master
    Sights not terribly important at close range you can shoot with can as aiming device. Not ass good as this fellar; but up close.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Thanks for photo Sawman.

Just how many firearms did you expect to be in service with the members of UDT 11,12, or 13 during thier time in service Jerry? Guess what those folks had for arms? A little google time should be expected.
    Don't pencil me in for any of your obscure micro mundane odd fact of military armament or munitions diuscussions that you can can dredge up on google to attempt to stump the band as you demonstrate your superior knowledge of limited subjects.
    Its your attitude, McArthur!

M118LR

Master
    Don't pencil me in for any of your obscure micro mundane odd fact of military armament or munitions diuscussions that you can can dredge up on google to attempt to stump the band as you demonstrate your superior knowledge of limited subjects.
    Its your attitude, McArthur!
    Come on, it started as a simple cinematography conversation. How many times outside of a Hollywood Movie have you heard or used the term Hard Bark? Then the whiners asked what an off topic conversation had to do with firearms, and folks other than Old Navy Vets got sucked into the Old Brown Water Navy. It was not I that started Y'all down the yellow brick road. I may have set SAWMAN up for the slam-dunk, but it was others that started the request. LOL!

But the French Resistance fighters that actually attempted to use those stamped single shot firearms to eliminate German Troops, well those folks qualify as folks with some hard bark on them in my book.

PS: Actual Government issue/experience removes the need to google. We can talk M25 next if your more comfortable?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom