• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amnbowser

Shooter
    I bought an AR9 from one of the forum members on this sight and I'm having problems with it. The gun will chamber a round and fire and then reload another round, however it's not resetting the trigger. So far I have tried multiple different types of ammo and different mags with no improvement. One of the mags I used in the gun burst fired and then didn't reset the trigger. I'm currently now looking for someone who is educated on AR9 builds and can help me solve the problem. I'm happy to pay someone who can correctly diagnose the problem and fix the firearm so that it shoots correctly. If this is posted in the wrong spot, please advise and I will happily repost in the correct spot.

AR9 Build: Aero upper and lower Enhanced, Aero Atlas one S hand guard, Aero ambidextrous charging handle, Aero BCG, Faxon 8inch threaded barrel, SLM break, Timeney cassette trigger, Anderson metal spring loaded backup sights (front and rear), magpul enhanced lower kit, strike industry pdw brace.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Do you have a milspec trigger to try? Could be as simple as a drop in trigger is not working with the 9mm BCG you have.
    First thing I would check.

Not a gunsmith, but ar9 platform can be finicky.

Curious if you just picked it up, have you reached out to the seller to ask if hes had these same issues?

Jdcujo

Master
    I bought an AR9 from one of the forum members on this sight and I'm having problems with it. The gun will chamber a round and fire and then reload another round, however it's not resetting the trigger. So far I have tried multiple different types of ammo and different mags with no improvement. One of the mags I used in the gun burst fired and then didn't reset the trigger. I'm currently now looking for someone who is educated on AR9 builds and can help me solve the problem. I'm happy to pay someone who can correctly diagnose the problem and fix the firearm so that it shoots correctly. If this is posted in the wrong spot, please advise and I will happily repost in the correct spot.

AR9 Build: Aero upper and lower Enhanced, Aero Atlas one S hand guard, Aero ambidextrous charging handle, Aero BCG, Faxon 8inch threaded barrel, SLM break, Timeney cassette trigger, Anderson metal spring loaded backup sights (front and rear), magpul enhanced lower kit, strike industry pdw brace.

Do the basic check to see if hammer resets with the trigger pulled back to see if it's a lower issue. Upon release of the trigger hammer should stay cocked.

(Just realized how odd that reads so breakdown of what I mean- take upper off lower , cock hammer, hold trigger to rear while controlling descent of hammer, recock hammer while maintaining trigger pulled to rear. Release trigger , hammer should stay cocked)

Last edited:

amnbowser

Shooter
    Do you have a milspec trigger to try? Could be as simple as a drop in trigger is not working with the 9mm BCG you have.
    First thing I would check.

Not a gunsmith, but ar9 platform can be finicky.

Curious if you just picked it up, have you reached out to the seller to ask if hes had these same issues?
    I reached out to the seller and he stated he didn’t have any problems. He offered to go to the range with me. However, when I called him the next day to verify the meet up. He would not return my phone calls or txt. I have done some research and ordered a new trigger. There seems to be some problems with these Timney triggers doing this. I found a YouTube video of a guy that was having the exact same issue as me and he replaced his timney with a CMC trigger and it fixed the problem.

Jdcujo

Master
    I reached out to the seller and he stated he didn’t have any problems. He offered to go to the range with me. However, when I called him the next day to verify the meet up. He would not return my phone calls or txt. I have done some research and ordered a new trigger. There seems to be some problems with these Timney triggers doing this. I found a YouTube video of a guy that was having the exact same issue as me and he replaced his timney with a CMC trigger and it fixed the problem.
    Is it a pcc specific trigger?

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    If you ordered a cmc trigger, make sure its the pcc one. I have one in my Aero epc9 sbr. I would also recommend an Angstadt Arms 9mm heavy buffer, spring and spacer. It'll help with reliability.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    He didn't have any problems because he probably didn't fire it.
    As mentioned, a heavy buffer helps with cycling. If you're not sure what you have, post up a picture.

SpitFire

Marksman
    I shoot PCC in the games and you did the right thing changing the trigger. I run the Hiperfire Eclipse triggers and they are 100%. Occasionally take your buffer, buffer spring out and clean the tube. Blowbacks get dirty. I run an A5 rifle tube with a Kynshot 5020SS buffer and JP polished 308 rifle spring. What recoil?!
    I have a CMC PCC trigger in a box as a backup.
    Good luck!

amnbowser

Shooter
    I shoot PCC in the games and you did the right thing changing the trigger. I run the Hiperfire Eclipse triggers and they are 100%. Occasionally take your buffer, buffer spring out and clean the tube. Blowbacks get dirty. I run an A5 rifle tube with a Kynshot 5020SS buffer and JP polished 308 rifle spring. What recoil?!
    I have a CMC PCC trigger in a box as a backup.
    Good luck!
    Thanks for the advice. I should get my new trigger tomorrow. We'll see how it works out. I did order the PCC specific trigger. I'm thinking the forum member never actually fired the gun. He's also not responded to my calls or txt, so that's kind of a bummer. I guess fair warning to be careful what you buy and who you buy it from. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

amnbowser

Shooter
    Glad to help out a fellow PCC shooter!!
    I took the gun in to my local shop today. I guess it's not the trigger at all. It was the buffer and buffer spring. The buffer and buffer spring in my gun is for a 5.56 and I needed a specific buffer and buffer spring from Strike industries to make it function correctly. I should have known this because the bolt doesn't hold back correctly and that's because the the buffer is to big. I already ordered a new one, so we'll see if that fixes the problem. I'm going to send the trigger that I ordered back or I may just keep it for a future build. Thanks again everyone for the responses.

Here's the link to the buffer and spring I ordered.

SpitFire

Marksman
    WOWser!
    If it was me, I'd install the CMC trigger and not look back. It is a nice upgrade.

amnbowser

Shooter
    WOWser!
    If it was me, I'd install the CMC trigger and not look back. It is a nice upgrade.
    LOL, I know, the CMC trigger wasn't cheap either. But it already has a nice Timney in it. I really like the trigger that's already in it. But you defiantly have me thinking that I should make the swap. Do you really think the CMC is better then the Timney?

SpitFire

Marksman
    Yes, the Timney is nice and there have been reported problems with them. Kind of finicky in a PCC and I believe Timney does not recommend them in a PCC. CMC PCC; don't look back!
    Trust me. If the Timney was that good, I'd be running one!!!

Plinker

Marksman
    I guess fair warning to be careful what you buy and who you buy it from. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Please excuse slight derail,,,,,

Great advice.
    I too bought a pcc from a inmate here years ago and quickly discovered it was a Jam-A-Matic.
    Didn’t bother contacting the seller since it was my fault for not asking a few simple to answer questions before handing over my money.

Epiloge:
    Sent it back to manufacturer and they fixed it for free and included free shipping and I’m very happy with it now with ZERO issues after many hundreds of rounds.
    The PCC brand you ask?
    Highpoint 995!

(I envy your trigger!)

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Even if the timney starts to run with the new buffer, it's still possible to get light primer strikes with it.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I took the gun in to my local shop today. I guess it's not the trigger at all. It was the buffer and buffer spring. The buffer and buffer spring in my gun is for a 5.56 and I needed a specific buffer and buffer spring from Strike industries to make it function correctly. I should have known this because the bolt doesn't hold back correctly and that's because the the buffer is to big. I already ordered a new one, so we'll see if that fixes the problem. I'm going to send the trigger that I ordered back or I may just keep it for a future build. Thanks again everyone for the responses.

Here's the link to the buffer and spring I ordered.
    When I ** build one normally use 8 oz. Shorter buffer Ymmv.

Top Bottom