• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
    Over the last few years, I have bantered around the topic of hog calling with a Texas hunter, Glenn Guess of Hog Zombies. He is a huge proponent of it and while I understood it could be done, I had come to realize that a lot of folks with grunt tubes probably were not having as much success because they really didn't speak "hog." Glenn has raised hogs for years and learned to associate sounds with behaviors. I still can't run a grunt tube worth a darn, but I can run an electronic caller.

In speaking with Glenn and watching some of his videos online and some he hasn't released yet, it became apparent that the calls that seem to attract hogs most often involve sows and/or piglets. They are calls that will either generate interest from other hogs, or compel them to come to the rescue. The call I am primarily using in the video is one where a sow is defending piglets from a threat. These sorts of sounds apparently do a good job of calling other sows to the rescue. Glenn had suggested that sounds such as boars fighting are sounds best used as a last resort as such sounds are not apt to attract as many hogs and may actually scare them away, apparently not wanting to be involved in a fight between boars.

Of course, why hogs may or may not respond is partially conjecture. However, based on Glenn's experiences and what we have found, this sort of call certainly can bring in hogs and bring them from long distance. Like calling coyotes, it won't always work. We tried calling for nearly 3 hours in a previous spot down in the bottoms and had no luck what-so-ever. This was actually my 4th time to successfully bring in a hog using an electronic caller, but all of the other times were in limited visibility landscapes where the hogs seemed to materialize out in front of me and head to the caller, sort of like the hog in the video here when it finally breaks into our field.

Here is the video. I had a malfunction with a gummed-up firing pin and expressed myself in an ungentlemanly manner. That has been covered over in the video and my partner backed me up on the shot and dropped the hog, cleanly. The firing pin problem has been resolved with a thorough cleaning.

https://youtu.be/uNGCo-isAoU

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Good to see you here Brian, here is your video

SAWMAN

Master
    We have called hogs over here in Fla also. I got advice from Glenn. Watched all his vids. And sent my older Fox Pro back to the factory and had them put three different hog calling sounds in it that Glenn reccomended.
    My opinions -----> As Glenn states,you must know where the hogs are before you can call them. Same really as a coyote,only a yote will more redily respond and from longer distances. Also,a coyote is not as particular as to what sound he hears. Hogs definately are !!
    For hogs it makes a big difference as to "who" they are,and what they are doing. IOW . . . . It will make a difference if the sounder has a super dominent sow leading them. If she,or other sows have piglets with them. Or if your calling to one lone,bigger boar. OR (!!) if they have some good food right in front of them.
    The vid that I watched over on TB forum was not typical as to how far they will come . . OR . . how fast. Also ya"ll was lucky in that you got to watch them the entire time. Over here we sometimes call a road with thick brush on both sides. Or the edge of a thick Juniper swamp. In some of these areas the hogs are on you rather quickly. They just seem to "pop out" in front of you. Sometimes you can hear them coming,however that is not typical.
    Bottom line . . . calling works some of the time. Alot less than with coyotes. But it is fun and it could add to your kill count. I have not found a mouth blown caller that works for me so I will continue to have to carry my small Fox Pro. The plus for that is that I can quickly switch to sounds that will pull in the yotes also.
    Good Hunting . . . --- SAWMAN

In my experience, it doesn't matter if you know where the hogs are or not. I have called in several lone boars that I did not know were in the area. In fact, that is one of the benefits of calling, being able to sample from a larger area than you may be able to see.

It is certainly hard to know how far hogs have come in responding to a caller if you have a limited visibility hunting situation like you described and like I often hunt as well. As you say, they just sort of pop out in front of you all of a sudden. Who knows how far they have traveled? Getting to see the response is just one of the benefits of being able to hunt in an area with long distance visual capability.

Daezee

Master
    I was there when Sawman called in a sow. She was my 3rd hog kill. Piglet in distress was the call used. The sow that came in was not pregnant and was not nursing.

SAWMAN

Master
    Bruce, charging up my caller right now.Moon will come up later on Sunday night.
    Bang,Bang . . . . . ---- SAWMAN

Zeroed in

Master
    Shoot, back in the day, we always called our hogs just by saying "Suu'eee, Suu'eee. They'd come running up every time. :noidea: :hungry:

Top Bottom