• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebuilt

Marksman
    You guys talking about the police beeing "over militarized" its not a new thing. Sir Robert Peel built the foundations and organized the London Metropolitian Police Department. His pattern for that Department is the what all other departments since have been bassed on. He had a group of guidlines known as "Peels Principles" one of those is the police be Organized along military guides such as Rank structure and training. Now this was said and done back around 1829 so military guidelines were diffrent then but this is the basis. Peel is known as the father of modern policing.

Welldoya

Master
    I do think (in some cases, not all) that the power sometimes attracts the wrong type people. BUT, I have met a couple of LEOs on this and another forum that seemed to be really good guys.
    I've got a good friend that's with the Sheriff's Dept.
    Like most of you, I sometimes look at other gun forums. There's one (I won't mention the name) that has a member who in my opinion is dangerous. He's on there all the time and takes every opportunity to post a picture that depicts himself as a bad ass.
    He gets into arguments and physically threatens other forum members. Always talks about his rough and tumble past life.
    I always thought "What a jerk. This guy is either dangerous or a tremendous blow-hard. Either way, he is full of himself."
    Then the other day he mentions that he's a deputy. Jeeez. That's all we need. He's got a chip on his shoulder as big as a concrete block and THAT is the kind we don't need in law enforcement.

Dwatts1984

Expert
    Fellas there's a reason those air soft guns have orange tips... to help identify them as harmless toys. Its a damn shame to see this happen to any kid... But in all honesty my son knows never to remove or paint that orange tip... and if ever approached by an officer to listen to EVERY WORD AND NOT SMART OFF and never make sudden movements! Sucks to see a child harmed... I feel for the parents.

FNHman

Marksman
    Not directed at anyone but I don't care if a gun has an orange tip on not. I seem to remember stories about Miami gangs painting they Mac 10's up to look like toys.

Seem that the kid was given lawful orders by a LEO with guns drawn. Maybe the toy was pointed towards or swung in the wrong direction while he was standing there? Body cams would sure seem to clear up all the confusion but then 80 percent of cops would be out of a job.

Sad story regardless. My prayers to the family.

Bootwo2000

Expert
    It was a kid. Not a drug induced thug. Even had the gun been real one of those cops should have taken a bullet before opening fire on a preteen

I am not going to take a chance if the gun is real or not by taking a bullet. That is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read.

There was a guy in Tennessee named Leonard Embody that used to carry a AK pistol he painted the tip orange.

I give you a lawful order to drop what appears to be a real firearm and instead you point it at me, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I would say a "guy" and a child with a gun are different, I would say the neighborhood, the class of citizens there make a difference. Whether you are a gunman gunning down children in a school or a cop gunning down children in the streets, it is WRONG! Training, situational awareness and common sense go a long way so as not to gun down innocent people in the street, that is not the job of LEO's. I think as a human being, I would take a round in the car door before gunning down a child in the street, but that is just me and I don't enjoy killing people just because I think I am right or happen to wear a badge.

Bootwo2000

Expert
    A guy. Not a 13yr old boy. Children dont follow "orders" lawful or not when they panic. Im sorry but when it comes to a child running around with an AK the authenticity of the gun should have been questioned especially in a gun control state. A child even with a real AK is hardly a threat to trained officers in cover. A cop should take a bullet if it means saving a child. Again im sorry if this goes against the shoot first ask questions later that cops like to live by but when it comes to children special conditions and circumstances always apply

Bootwo2000

Expert
    Dont get me wrong. If that kid points the weapon at the cops thats totally a different story but he didnt. They ordered him to do something he didnt comply so they killed him. Sorry but if you shoot a kid because he didnt do what you told him to you dont deserve a badge. Cops are meant to enforce laws protect citizens and serve the public. Not order you around and shoot you if you dont comply. The police state is out of control

Bean Counter

Marksman
    I understand that in this day and age officers must be overly cautious when dealing with perceived threats. I was wondering what others thought about the timeline that had been published. From what I read - the officers reported the sighting of the kid with the gun, they took cover, ordered the kid to drop the gun, and fired/reported shots fired - this took 10 seconds. Two years ago my son went as a commando for Halloween with a toy gun. I can assure you that if he was ordered to do anything it would take him longer than that figure out what was happening and he would turn to see who was yelling at him. Then I would end up in prison. I think someone mentioned situational awareness. Did the kid point the gun at the cop or did it just move when the kid turned around to see who was yelling at him?

Bootwo2000

Expert
    Situational awareness and 13 yr old just doesnt go in the same sentance unless there is a does not have in between

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I was talking about the cops having SA, not the child.

Top Bottom