• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M60Gunner

Master
    If you sell the pine they will come clear it right?

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    If you sell the pine they will come clear it right?
    I just spoke with a member who said he sold some his for a decent price so I'll be calling that company to see if they can get me a quote.

Bay Ranger

Master
    I just spoke with a member who said he sold some his for a decent price so I'll be calling that company to see if they can get me a quote.
    If you have a decent road going into the area make sure you write into the agreement to sell that they restore the road to the condition that it was before they came in. With their trucks and skidders they can really tear things up.

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    So I got one quote that will pay a decent amount for roughly half of the pines, but he's 3 months out...idk if I want to wait that long. The other option is clearing the pines where i want the house only but thatll cost more.
    Now my wife is looking at Sander's double wide homes as an alternative to barndo because it would be onsite and ready by November. (shes quite tired of the RV with myself, her, 4 yo daughter, and our 6 month old in the 85+ degree weather inside it and i dont blame her.)
    It would have to go on the fielded acreage though which im not a fan of.

Raven

Master
    So I got one quote that will pay a decent amount for roughly half of the pines, but he's 3 months out...idk if I want to wait that long. The other option is clearing the pines where i want the house only but thatll cost more.
    Now my wife is looking at Sander's double wide homes as an alternative to barndo because it would be onsite and ready by November. (shes quite tired of the RV with myself, her, 4 yo daughter, and our 6 month old in the 85+ degree weather inside it and i dont blame her.)
    It would have to go on the fielded acreage though which im not a fan of.
    You got to know when to hold 'em...
    know when to fold 'em...
    know when to walk away...
    know when to run :)

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    So It looks like im winning on the barndo! Im getting some quotes for a red iron 30x30x16 that should be under $50k for the whole shell and concrete.

These are just a rough design.

signal-2023-07-08-100023.jpeg

signal-2023-07-08-100025.jpeg

Also another option is tube steel 30x40x14 short roof two story about $48k with concrete.

Perk guy is coming next week!

Also picking up the New Holland package next week hopefully to get started bush hogging again.

I need to start clearing the home site. I have a couple of options and would like some opinions:

#1. - Rent a small excavator from Sunbelt/Thompson in Pcola (30k lb for a day for $650) and try to get all the trees done in a day...about 20-30.
    #2. - Rent a mini x from an individual for around 200-250 day, but take a couple days...
    OR
    #3. - Pay someone to do it for me lol. ( I dont know of anyone who will push over trees/pull up stumps.)

I love this kind of work, but I also work alot and only have time to do homestead work in the evenings or the weekends.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheaper Xcavator rental OR a guy who does this type of tree work?

The trees Im trying to remove are in shown on page 1 or 2 I think.

Thanks in advance ya'll.

I don't know exactly where your place is located, but local to your site folks would know better who to use and who not to use. People do this kind of stuff all the time in the country. If you "do" facebook, there are a few people that advertise for this sort of work in the Walnut Hill area.

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Walnut Hill is it. The property is in Davisville. I've seen some on FB that I reached out to...still waiting to hear back.

I imagine this is one you have reached out to. The Atmore FB groups are always advertising for the kind of stuff your going to be needing. 35 years ago, when I was doing the same thing you are, there were still folks with "short" log trucks that would cherry pick just the trees you needed gone, for the wood. If the New Holland package includes a box blade, I could teach you how to get pine stumps up with the box blade and a good chain - hard on a little tractor though...

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman

I imagine this is one you have reached out to. The Atmore FB groups are always advertising for the kind of stuff your going to be needing. 35 years ago, when I was doing the same thing you are, there were still folks with "short" log trucks that would cherry pick just the trees you needed gone, for the wood. If the New Holland package includes a box blade, I could teach you how to get pine stumps up with the box blade and a good chain - hard on a little tractor though...
    Ah I have only messaged people advertising. That link won't work for me. Whats the name of the group? I am getting a box blade, but the tractor is a 25 horse workmaster so not a lawn tractor but pretty small.

Last edited:
    25 HP is what I used. Bent the lift arms a couple times, and tore some other stuff up, but it is still running after 35 years. I had a guy from Byrneville with a bobcat and a chainsaw clear and burn 30 old pecan trees after Ivan. I can't remember his name, or if he is still doing that work, but if I think of it I'll let you know.

image (8).png

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    25 HP is what I used. Bent the lift arms a couple times, and tore some other stuff up, but it is still running after 35 years. I had a guy from Byrneville with a bobcat and a chainsaw clear and burn 30 old pecan trees after Ivan. I can't remember his name, or if he is still doing that work, but if I think of it I'll let you know.

View attachment 231711
    Thank you. I'll contact them and see what they offer.

Fathertime

Marksman
    I don't know exactly where your place is located, but local to your site folks would know better who to use and who not to use. People do this kind of stuff all the time in the country. If you "do" facebook, there are a few people that advertise for this sort of work in the Walnut Hill area.
    The guy you bought the land from does land prep if he can’t I’ll bet he can hook you up with somebody. Fyi the first United Methodist church here in Atmore is giving away their youth house to be moved . The house is free. There is a house mover about 3 miles from your property.

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    The guy you bought the land from does land prep if he can’t I’ll bet he can hook you up with somebody. Fyi the first United Methodist church here in Atmore is giving away their youth house to be moved . The house is free. There is a house mover about 3 miles from your property.
    Who does the house moving?

Williams house movers. They moved one for me 35 years ago, deep in the woods.

Williams House Movers​

5010 Highway 164 Mc David FL 32568
    (850) 327-4499

Top Bottom