• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boondoggle

Shooter
    I saw that too. I was actually thinking of putting together a 300 blk pistol for subs and ran across it. My question is twist rate requirement? If I recall correctly many of the AK, SKS, etc. barrels were some kind of a 9.45 or 9.55 twist but my AR style builds are all 1-10". I would be curious as to how a too slow a twist rate could impact a suppressor?

.22 cents

Master
    that would be awesome for x39 suppressed bolt action rifles

RackinRay

Master
    I saw that too. I was actually thinking of putting together a 300 blk pistol for subs and ran across it. My question is twist rate requirement? If I recall correctly many of the AK, SKS, etc. barrels were some kind of a 9.45 or 9.55 twist but my AR style builds are all 1-10". I would be curious as to how a too slow a twist rate could impact a suppressor?
    I do not see how twist rate in a barrel would affect any suppressor. I would be more interested, if I was still into 7.62x39R, in what bullet diameter they are loading. I did not look at the article enough to see if it mentioned the bullet diameter.

boondoggle

Shooter
    Have the same rifle. Shoots the cheap steel cased ammo good and a hand load with the 123SST really good.

Haven't shot subs through it yet as I've been exhaustedly waiting at this point for suppressors to be a non-NFA item (a guy can still dream). But, I'm just going to have to suck it up and get one with form1 and $200RR &,62x39 123SST.jpg.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    I do not see how twist rate in a barrel would affect any suppressor. I would be more interested, if I was still into 7.62x39R, in what bullet diameter they are loading. I did not look at the article enough to see if it mentioned the bullet diameter.

If the twist won’t stabilize the projectile, it will exit wobbly or even tumbling. While that just sucks for accuracy and terminal performance anyway, it will cause a baffle strike through the tighter tolerances of a suppressor.

ALWAYS “paper-test” ammo without the suppressor first. Check for keyhole impacts, etc.

I remember a batch of S&B factory subsonic .308 that keyholed every round from one particular rifle. Sucked because it was a threaded bolt action, so no suppressor goodness for that rifle/ammo combo.

Gotta love subsonic ammo, though. Smile-generators with a suppressor...

Krazy1

Expert
    If the twist won’t stabilize the projectile, it will exit wobbly or even tumbling. While that just sucks for accuracy and terminal performance anyway, it will cause a baffle strike through the tighter tolerances of a suppressor.

ALWAYS “paper-test” ammo without the suppressor first. Check for keyhole impacts, etc.

I remember a batch of S&B factory subsonic .308 that keyholed every round from one particular rifle. Sucked because it was a threaded bolt action, so no suppressor goodness for that rifle/ammo combo.

Gotta love subsonic ammo, though. Smile-generators with a suppressor...
    I dealt with this exact problem with some .308 ammo. It would be cool to quite an AK. I finally got my 22 Sparrow suppressor. I have found the Hornady ammo is far better than other subsonic.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom