• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Surprising out of the 9 years I have lived in Florida I personally, while in the woods etc, have only seen one venomous snake. It was a pygmy rattler at my grandmothers years ago. Out of all the years I have hunted blackwater, canoed there, swam there, I have only seen two snakes an both of them were non venomous. I honestly have seen more poisonous snakes in the few years I lived In Colorado than here.

tros6t

Marksman
    I've seen big rattle snakes crossing Munson Hwy a few times. So they are out there but I haven't run into any while in the woods, yet!

Seanpcola

Thing is about all snakes is they're good at hiding or blending in. You may not have seen any or many in the woods but guarantee they saw you. Over the last few years I've seen dozens of rattlers but almost always out in the open, in barns and such. Ran into one last week inside a Conex container. I really keep my eyes open for them when I think they might be around so that may be why I see them.

dirtysouth

Marksman
    Moccasin... Ain't seen one in a year. Last few years they'd sun in the middle of the street. They're out there, like Sean said, they see you.

dirtysouth

Marksman
    I shit myself about a month ago when I walked into my garage. Little bastard was waiting for me. Non venomous, about 4' long. I think he shit himself when he seen me jump and cling to the ceiling. :)

Ranger19

Expert
    Went Dove hunting and while walking the edge of the field I stepped on a big old Snake. Don't know how high I jumped but
    I got him with both barrel's of my old Fox before I came down.

Seanpcola

I had a rack of lumber in a shipping container at work. A couple of weeks ago I was pulling the boards out and I dragged the biggest rat snake I've ever seen out, right at eye level to me. My friend Wayne calmly reached over and picked him up. I don't know if I've gotten braver over the years, more used to snakes or too old to panic.

sj1

Marksman
    I get at least one copperhead every year at my house. I don't see them in the woods, but that agrees with Seanpcola's point. Weird, but the last one I shot was in my piggies pen. The pigs are pets, and spoiled, so I'm not surprised that they didn't know it could have been lunch. I hit that one from close enough to vaporize the entire snake. Copperheads are beautiful, anywhere but my yard.

MarkS

Master
    I've been in the same spot for 22 years and have killed 2 rattlesnakes, 2 cottonmouths and 3 pygmy rattlers during that time but I've seen king-snakes, black snakes and rat snakes so many times I quit counting. A buddy an I built a 20' x 20' storage shed back in 93 and used old window for the walls on the southwest corner 10' to a side for the wife a half ass green house and have rat snakes living out there one of which scared an exterminator so bad he hosed him down with poison that killed the snake. Guy didn't understand why I got mad at him for killing the snake until I explained that when the farmers harvest the fields on 2 side of my place the damn rats invade us every fall and we go thru 15-25 lb.s of rat poison every fall and that the snakes were part of the solution and not a problem. I see plenty of poisonous snakes on Yellow River every year but have seen very few poisonous snakes on Blackwater during countless tubing, canoe and fishing trips on it in the 58 years I've been alive. Twice on Blackwater I've had the crap scared out of me just because I'm not use to seeing them once I was about to tie a set line to a dead hollowed out log and a copperhead almost made it into the boat and the day after I got married my wife and I were swimming when she said she heard a snake drop into the water. The nearest tree was 75 yards or more away so I called BS on her well within 3 or 4 minutes the damn copperhead chased my ass out of the river and to this day I trust her hearing over my own.

barebones1

Marksman
    5f75d3be3446e5b6db7b56cf81714ad8.jpg

This poor fella was between my feet as I walked up to a bush for a morning wiz. About 40 degrees that morning. I guess that's why he didn't rattle. (East of milton) poor fella expired from lead poisoning.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Snow Bird

Master
    A man that helps out here at the course worked for a farmer for about 3 years. He got scared by a black snake in the barn and killed it. The farmer FIRED him on the spot when he found about it.

Big T

Expert
    I had a rat coming running down the hill into my shop area by my feet in the middle the day. I thought that strange until I saw the 4 ft black snake chasing him. The black snake turn the corner and saw me and started rolling sideways he was so startled... I think I did too. It took him a second or two to get his traction back. We both gave each other a wide birth and you could track us both by the wet spots we left. Nope didn't harm him either.. I would have slowed that rat for him if I could have.

barebones1

Marksman
    What did you do with it, skin it, fried it up are what? NICE ONE

fella who owned the house wanted it. I cut out his tub and was building him a tile shower. that's why I went out back to wiz, we had pulled the toilet.

Aaronious45

Master
    2016-01-16 19.54.27-1.jpg

Had this made from a 6 1/2 footer i caught crossing belandville rd this year

Attachments

• 2016-01-16 19.54.27-1.jpg
      2016-01-16 19.54.27-1.jpg
      56.2 KB · Views: 406

Latest posts

Top Bottom