• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Krazy1

Expert
    I was on of the last people to submit the paper tax stamp and it took 1 year almost to the date for the ATF to release it. It is a 22 Sparrow. It's my first but after throwing some led through it in my back yard yesterday I'm in love. I started with the .22 to learn more about them and how they effect accuracy. My question is, I was using a single shot Little Badger imported from Italy by Chiappa Firearms designed to shoot .22 mags or LR. . It was all over the map and I could not figure out if it was the can, rifle, or Remington ammo you buy by the buckets in large quantity. The ammo is hollow point and was being mass produced back when you could not hardly get any .22 years ago. The gun is pretty pricey and of good quality.

Krazy1

Expert
    Welcome to the dark side... Just kidding. :) I bought my first suppressor back in 1999 and it also was a .22 Can The Gemtech OutBack II and I was hooked and now have eight suppressors.

Your issue really sounds like baffle strikes. Check the end cap and inside the suppressor really good. This is a thing and does happen. Take the can off and fire the gun still all over the place???

I had one of my 9mm Suppressors doing this and I sent it back and they repaired it. I also had a baffle strike issue with my HK MP 5 SD and they swore up and down that is impossible until I sent it in and they repaired it also. The MP5 SD suppressor is special because it goes over the entire barrel. The barrel is ported to inside the suppressor to make 9mm rounds subsonic. That's right you do not need subsonic ammo with an HK MP5 SD. Probably the quietest gun I have ever shot. Well it matches my Rem 700 with subsonic .308 running the YHM .30 Ti Can.

Never had any issues with any of the other ones.

Good Luck

:)
    Thanks buddy, what drew me to the Sparrow is you can disassemble it to clean it. I will try that today. I was lazy and watching football so I didn't put any time into troubleshooting. Damn thread protector I removed from the rifle don't fit the thread pattern. It had some kind of substance on the threads like thread lock that made it fit. Once I removed it, it will not fit back. I'll find out today because we are going target shooting. I'll send some rounds through a .22 I know is accurate and see how it acts.

rkflorey

Marksman
    Quick check of barrel threads for concentricity could solve the issue. A wooden dowel of approx 22 cal can tell if the threading is off center a or if the baffles are not cut straight.
    Pensive is right. If you look through the can from the muzzle end you can see if you have baffle strikes

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I use tool steel rods from McMaster carr. They are cheap and will let you know you have concentricity.
    Look at the end cap, you'll know if you had a strike. That aside, those Remington golden bullets or thunderbolts are crap. Change the ammo and report back.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Pop the can off and see if that makes a difference. If not then it is the Gun or the ammo.

Krazy1

Expert
    OK, to clear things up, yes, the thread protector that was installed factory on the Badger was to big. It had something I equait with pipe dope on the threads, then this larger thread protector was slid down on to the threads until it set up. Once I removed the protector and substance gently, the thread protector drops down over the threads without touching them. It is NOT cross threaded, it was to large form the beginning, the substance was holding in place. The can threads smooth and consistent on to the rifle's thread pattern 12X28. I have tap and dies and thread things frequently.

I installed the can on an M&P yesterday and it shot fine with that rifle. So it's the ammo or the gun.

Krazy1

Expert
    Quick check of barrel threads for concentricity could solve the issue. A wooden dowel of approx 22 cal can tell if the threading is off center a or if the baffles are not cut straight.
    Pensive is right. If you look through the can from the muzzle end you can see if you have baffle strikes
    I did this and no strikes.

Top Bottom