• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5lima30ret

Master
    If u find she can't work the slide on any traditional 22 semi auto - try a Beretta bobcat pop up barrel.
    I had an 82 yoa female with pretty severe RA in her hands in one of my FL CCW classes. The M&P 22 Compact was the only slide she could work. That slide can easily be manipulated with 2 fingers by most anyone of any age. I had a Beretta 22 Bobcat. It was very ammo sensitive and provided lots of malfunction drills.

Med24

Shooter
    Yes, the bobcat can be picky. Feed it CCI copper tip & its happy as a lark. Did take me a bit to figure that out, lol. But that's good to know about the M&P 22, it's probably more widely available.

Frlancdu

Shooter
    Not sure if you’re still on the hunt but I have a Browning Buckmark Standard URX listed for sale here on the forum

Welldoya

Master
    Check speciality pawn on 29. They have great prices and probably 25-30 .22lr pistols to choose from, and you get a free hour if you buy a gun, so bring your own ammo.

Honestly, I’ve always found their prices to be ridiculous. Last time I was in there they had a couple of Ruger Mk1s (or maybe Standards) for $700.
    I’ve seen the same guns sitting there for 2 years or longer.

DustyDog

Master
    The S&W M&P 22 Compact is the most reliable .22 semi-auto handgun I have ever owned. It is not ammunition sensitive like many .22 semi autos. (I have owned Ruger 22/45, Walther P-22, Chiappa, Ruger Mark I & Mark II, Sterling, Beretta Bobcat.) The M&P 22 Compact is the only one I still have. Good luck!
    Yep...

I lucked into a full-size (wasn't even on my list when I was looking), so it's the perfect practice companion to my M&P 9mm. With the three mags in the original 12-round configuration, it can hit >99% reliability with decent ammo (I've stopped buying Winchester .22, including Super-X. Their new stuff seems to be trash, whereas their 30 year-old stuff still works like a charm!).

With the two mags now in 15-round configuration, Rem. Golden Bullet HP may be the only load that doesn't tend to dig the nose of the 14th (i.e., next-to-last) round into the top edge of the chamber (?!?) With the GBs in the 15-rounders, I've run at least as many as 300 consecutive rounds without a hiccup.

P.S., Very important: Use a loader (like this one, and where I got the parts to convert the mags: https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/22-mag-loader-p/22-mag-loader.htm ) instead of the button on the side of the mag. It reduces the chance that the rims of the cartridges are not alternately staggered (which can be the cause of feeding problems) by insuring that they are always under spring pressure when pushing back into the mag. I guess the button is OK if you release it as soon as the rim just enters the feed lips, then push the cartridge back, but the loader makes it foolproof :)

Attachments

• DSC09741web.jpg
      DSC09741web.jpg
      723.2 KB · Views: 21
    Last edited:

boatbum101

Marksman
    For a 22 target pistol entry level an older gently used Ruger MK 1 or 2 . Newer ones need a little trigger work . Sights , barrel quality are good enough for 50yd work . Certain Browning Buckmark models are also suitable . IMHO for the money can't be beat . Many other options of you want to spend more $ .
    FWIW I've shot NRA Outdoor Conventional Pistol for some time ( you know the old farts who shoot one-handed @ 25 & 50yds with the funny range boxes ) . Many beginners have went the above route & not upgraded until they shot Master scores . If you want to keep her interest an accurate gun with good sights , decent trigger & FITS her hand goes a very long way .

RussSurfs

Marksman
    My wife is similar in that she doesn’t like 9mm. I am an S&W guy for sure, but a very good competition shooter and instructor steered me to a Taurus TX 22 competition. She likes it and shoots it well. Threw a Holosun dot on there and she pings steel like a champ. She also likes my M&P 22-15. If you get the Taurus it’s favorite ammo is Thunderbolt.

DustyDog

Master
    If you get the Taurus it’s favorite ammo is Thunderbolt.
    Crazy... I swore off Thunderbolt when I noticed it was building up big chunks of lead quickly (like after a couple of mags!?!) in the barrel of my full-size M&P .22; the only load that did anything even remotely like that :)

P.S., when I was shopping for a "non-pocket" .22 pistol, I think my "want list" was: Ruger SR-22, Walther P-22, and the Taurus TX, I believe in that order. Couldn't find the Ruger anywhere (mid-late 2020 or so?), saw a Walther and hated the trigger, checked out an S&W compact but it didn't turn me on, then "accidentally" found the full-size S&W and was sold... perfect practice companion to my 5926 (though the 5926 was almost double the weight loaded) and later to my M&P 9mm (identical in every dimension, appearance, grip angle, etc... except for weight, of course... right down to the manual safety).

Funny because I had a three-day wait for the M&P .22 and, lo and behold, when I went to pick it up they had the Ruger, so I "had" to get that, too, since it was #1 on my original list! Turns out I wouldn't trade the M&P for any other similar .22, though!

Latest posts

Top Bottom