Just wondering how many deer hunt with the old boring .308??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    I've only shot 2 deer in my life.. Both in Texas both Bucks
    One with a .270 he ran for 100yds then died.
    And one with a boring old .308--He died on the spot, so quickly I lost him because I expected him to rear up and run like the first one.
    had the same thing happen. shot a deer at 300 yards off a hilltop with a bergara in .308. thought i missed him and he ran. he never moved an inch.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I primarily hunt with 5.56 in my ARs but also have a few .308 ARs that see field use and my only centerfire bolt gun is .308.
    Thinking about a 6.5 Grendel upper for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just can't bring myself to deer hunt with the 556. I just look at the round and go "no". I'm sure it can do it just spoiled with the 308 cannon. I deer hunt with the x39 too so there's that.

woodsy85

Expert
    I just can't bring myself to deer hunt with the 556. I just look at the round and go "no". I'm sure it can do it just spoiled with the 308 cannon. I deer hunt with the x39 too so there's that.

I’ve tracked too many wounded deer shot with 5.56 by friends, too many not recovered, to consider it.

I really love the Ruger American Predator .308 I got for my wife last fall and am going to take a close look at the new gen American for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeroed in

Master
    I ain't kicking the .308 by no means. I have one, used it, still like it, but I put it aside after getting a 7mm-08.
    The 7-08 outperforms the .308 (in ballistics) starting around 300yds, and even with a lighter bullet. It's Faster and
    Flatter and excels in speed and energy starting around 300yds and continues to surpass the .308 in energy, speed,
    drift and bullet drop, at 500yds.
    I know, the ballistics were from a 139g 7-08 against the heavy energy packing 165g .308 bullet, but.
    Oh, wait a sec., aren't those heavier bullets supposed to be the cat's meow for packing and retaining energy?
    Okay, well, maybe not always.
    And it goes, the 7-08 and .308, both using 150g bullets, the 7-08 is still flatter and has less wind drift
    than the .308.
    Hold on, the .308 is a fatter bullet (.30 cal.) and that translates into Bigger Entry and Exit Channels (mo internal damage)
    than the 7-08.
    And If I were up North hunting Bear, I'd leave the 7-08 home, because I'd want that mo damage the .308 can do, especially if a big ole Grizzly Bear decided to try and eat me. lol

Norm

Expert
    I know its not the "new hotness" but I and my bride do.
    “Old” “boring” 30-06 here. I’ve taken whitetail, elk and pronghorn with it. Had a full paddle moose in the crosshairs but no tag.
    But when I bought my son his first rifle some 25+ years ago, it was a 7mm08. And his son has now killed his first deer with it.

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    7-08 is just a “270 Short.” I prefer the full size 270.

.308 fanboy here. I grew up shooting a 270 and 19 out of 20 deer ran 20-50yds after the shot. Started shooting .308 aboout 25 years ago and out of the several hundred animals I've shot with it I can count on 1 hand how many took more than a step or two. I've shot everything from 300 mag down and 308 is my go to 99% of the time.

fisheadgib

Expert
    Yet another.308 fan. If I'm hunting with a scoped rifle it will be one of my .308's. I own stuff that shoots flatter, faster, and with more energy but the .308 has done everything that I've ever required it to do and I've never been one to jump on every fad cartridge that shows up that may make a deer deader than whatever I'm using. My first choice is a .44 mag revolver, then a lever gun, then a scoped .308 if the range is beyond the first two.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Yet another.308 fan. If I'm hunting with a scoped rifle it will be one of my .308's. I own stuff that shoots flatter, faster, and with more energy but the .308 has done everything that I've ever required it to do and I've never been one to jump on every fad cartridge that shows up that may make a deer deader than whatever I'm using. My first choice is a .44 mag revolver, then a lever gun, then a scoped .308 if the range is beyond the first two.
    Yep same here except 10mm and 44 ruger carbine then 308. Need to take a deer with the 10mm G40 and 44 ruger.

brasshog

Marksman
    I have a love for the 308 but I have never killed anything with one while hunting. My last buck was with a 270 130gr Silvertip. The 308 and 30/06 are great rounds. I do like other calibers that others have mentioned such as the 7-08, 270, 30-30, 35 Rem, etc. This year I am starting my next few decades worth of hunting using a 358 Win. I will be building a 9.3x62 for any future "big game" hunts in the US. I have a desire to try the 338 Federal for hunting but I doubt that I will build one. The 308/30-06 case is so versatile.

Top Bottom