• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stagman

Master
    I am thinking about buying lead bullets to reload .45acp with instead of copper jacketed bullets and I have a few questions before I buy, here are the bullets I have been looking to buy LINK: http://www.snscasting.com/45-acp/. What is the pros and cons of each? Will one cause more fouling than the other or wear the barrel quicker? I have no idea when it comes to lead bullets, any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

shootnstarz

Master
    One of the big advantages to cast lead bullets is they produce very little wear compared to jacketed. And 45s are so slow you're not causing much of it, same goes for fouling. The harder the lead the less they foul.

I believe any of the one's pictured would work fine. A lot will depend on your particular pistol. I had a Ruger P-90 once that didn't feed lead round nose very well.

Rick

Last edited:

jakec

Master
    all i run in my 45 is cast lead bullets. those in the link are good bullets but the lube on them sucks. its a hard blue commercial lube made to look good and stay on during shipping. you can strip them with acetone and lube them with some better lube or maybe roll them in some alox over the blue lube. i cast 230 gr 45s so if you want to try some out let me know ill send you some. cast bullets sized and lubed right wont lead your barrel at all.

bohica793

Master
    Have you slugged your barrel? Most commercial cast bullets will be .452 in diameter, which is usually fine as most .45ACP pistols are .450-.451 bore size. You do, however, run into those with larger bores which will cause leading if the bullets are undersized. All lead projectiles should be sized at least .001-.002 larger than bore size of the weapon being used.

All that being said, you should be fine with what you are looking at. If by change you do get lead fouling after shooting these, slug your barrel. My guess would be you got a loose one.

rick1967

Shooter
    I shoot sns bullets coated in 9mm by the thousands.
    No leading at all and good accuracy. Good vendor, excellent packing and quick shipping.

I shot about 250ish cast with hi-tech coating the other day. An never noticed how much fouling that was in the barrel before. There was quite a bite, should have taken a picture. But is fouling still supposed to happen with them being coated?

Garpo

Master
    I shot about 250ish cast with hi-tech coating the other day. An never noticed how much fouling that was in the barrel before. There was quite a bite, should have taken a picture. But is fouling still supposed to happen with them being coated?

What powder were you using?

Winchester Super Target

Snow Bird

Master
    One thing to watch is your over all length. Sometimes the lube will start to add up in your seating die and will seat them lower.

Sporter

Expert

Attachments

• 0173_zps97827311.jpg
      0173_zps97827311.jpg
      49.6 KB · Views: 168
    • LLR_kit.jpg
      LLR_kit.jpg
      48.6 KB · Views: 160

Snow Bird

Master
    NO ^^^^ Sporter I keep my vil in the middle and have never seen leading that bad. Maybe back off alittle. I have even shot 12 bnl and didn't have any problems like you are haveing. I load 700x

rick1967

Shooter
    No you do not. And they produce less smoke than a lubed lead bullet. Much less.
    Many of the guys they shoot production 9mm in Vinegar Bend use either SNS or Bayou both coated and none experience any problems. There is also a guys that shoots them in a Glock.
    I clean my XDM every 500 rounds and what I see is powder fouling.

I once used some Magnum lead bullets in a 38 special, that was a bad experience , it took me hours to clean the barrel and each of the cylinder chambers!

I was in Mike's sporting goods and asked lead fouling. A gentleman there told me to shoot a copper fmj every 25ish rounds to cut the fouling down or out.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    All I use is plated bullets in my 1911s and a Ruger 45 Colt. Cheaper than jacketed, no lead fouling to worry about, no messy lube all over everything.

http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/45-452_c14.htm

There are other manufacturers but I mostly use RMR.

Last edited:

Richard J.

Expert
    I have been reloading andcasting many years before most on this forum. What I have learned is use alox lube. I have killed so many deer with 44 mag bullets in a old style ruger super Blackhawk. You need a good mould and alox lube. Believe me I have tried everything. Everyone tells you that you will lead the barrel. Only if you run them at max loads. I load t 1,000 or under. People will tell you that you can't kill a deer with this load with H110. Well I have killed deer in enough states to call this bull crap. I have only leaded a barrel a couple of times an this was with hot loads for an experment. The lead Is never that bad but you have to clean it. The whole deal with cast loads is does it have a gas check or not. If it does you can up the powder but not needed. I have loaned moulds to people on this forum and they have no problems with them. Don't know if they are hunting with them but rest assured I Have killed more than most people will shoot in there life time. I also load cast bullets for most weapons including rifles, pistols and have not lost any game. Shoot the right place and they will fall. Bad shot with any bullet and guess what.

ChrisC

Master
    the .45 acp is probably the most forgiving semi-auto cartridge to reload. nowadays most leading issues are due to wrong cast bullet hardness. very few are due to barrel diameter variations (cough Ruger cough). find out your target velocity then shop around for the appropriate bullet hardness. some casters like Missouri Bullet Co. offer several hardness depending on your application. so does Penn Bullets. a little bit of leading about 1" past the barrel lands is normal. leading all the way to the end of the barrel is excessive.

as far as plated bullets go, I haven't come across one that group well. the plating is not always uniform around the bullet.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom