• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MichaelWinne

Shooter
    Hey guys, I need some help with my most recent build. I got it out to the range finally to test fire it, and I loaded one round into the mag, it fired just fine, BCG locked back on the empty mag. I then loaded 2 rounds, fired and functioned flawlessly. So I set it aside and started helping my buddy out with zeroing in his new optic. After about 20 minutes I came back to my rifle, loaded a full mag, fired off a couple shots, then 'click', instead of 'bang'.

I ejected the round, looked at the primer and it was definitely hit, but it didn't fire, I didn't try to fire the same round again, I set it aside and tried a different one, same result. It seems as though I'm getting too light of a primer strike to fire the round, and it's happening pretty frequently. I took my buddies BCG, tossed it into my rifle and it still happened at about the same rate, I put my BCG into his rifle and fired a whole mag rapidly with no issues, so I think I can safely eliminate the BCG.

The one thing I did not do was place my upper on his lower, which I should have. The trigger I have in my rifle is a Patriot Ordnance Factory drop in unit. I've had this trigger installed in this lower for a year or so, and I've put 500-1000 rounds through my previous build with this trigger with no issues.

The barrel is brand new, it's an AR Stoner 16 inch stainless fluted barrel that I got from Midway. It is chambered in 223 Wylde, which I have no experience with, but I installed it with zero problems and I do not own any go/no go gauges to verify the headspace. The fitment or engagement between the BCG and the barrel "looked" good to me, going off of my(fairly limited) experience.

So now I'm stuck trying to figure out what's causing the malfunction. The ammo I'm shooting is Federal XM193, and with the frequency of the malfunction I highly doubt that it's an issue with the ammo.

So basically I'm here to see if anyone has any suggestions, or if possibly anyone would be kind enough to let me swing by and check the headspace if they happen to own these fancy go/no go gauges. I'm trying to eliminate possibilities but I feel it has to be either the trigger or the barrel. I have been in contact with Patriot Ordnance, and they told me that I'm welcome to send in the trigger and have them check the hammer spring, but I feel like the possibility of the hammer spring being weakened after such a few amount of rounds seems unlikely.

Basically my gut is telling me it's the headspacing of the barrel, but I'd hate to have to pull it off and send it back to Midway if I can find a simple solution at home, since I may be overlooking something. Any ideas? Thanks in advance guys, take care.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    The first thing I would do is put another trigger in the lower and test that. If you have a standard mil-spec trigger, try it first.

You could also check/replace your firing pin.

MichaelWinne

Shooter
    I do have a standard trigger laying around. I'll toss it in and give that a shot. Thanks for the reply.

oneshot

Master
    If you want to come by Will see what is wrong have gauges, and just got two of the same barrels. have not had any problems with them , I have a little experience with Ar.s. I want make any attempt to say what is wrong on the internet, or ph. I'm not a arm chair or u[tube fixer. If you are in Milton you aren't to far. just my 5 cents jj 850-572- 6611

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    A couple of years back I bought some cheap steel ammo from Cabelas. I had a 70% failure rate with it. Did you try different ammo?

MichaelWinne

Shooter
    Thanks for the replies guys. I highly doubt that it's ammo. It's federal xm193. I mean I guess it could be a bad batch but I feel like the odds of that are astronomical with it happening this often. I could be wrong though.

MichaelWinne

Shooter
    If you want to come by Will see what is wrong have gauges, and just got two of the same barrels. have not had any problems with them , I have a little experience with Ar.s. I want make any attempt to say what is wrong on the internet, or ph. I'm not a arm chair or u[tube fixer. If you are in Milton you aren't to far. just my 5 cents jj 850-572- 6611
    That's good to hear, I think I'm going to toss in the standard milspec trigger and give it a shot and see if anything changes. If I'm still having the issue after that I'll definitely shoot you a message. Thanks a lot.

rescuefighter

Shooter
    If headspace is good, You might have a light hammer spring . I would change it first. Then check fire pin for correct length and shoulder.

Cootcommander

Expert
    May or may not be the ammo but XM193 doesn't have the best reputation

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom