• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
    Hey folks. Anyone have a mechanic they like in Pensacola?

Long story short, I bought an 05 4Runner about a month ago. Took it in a couple weeks back for full fluid change and a checkup. Checkup found a failing head gasket. Coolant in the cylinders. My regular shop quoted me $6400 for head gasket replacement (along with radiator, oil/water pumps, timing chain) and $8200 for the cheapest engine replacement. Estimate had $2400 in parts estimated, all of which I can buy direct for $900.

If I had the tools and a couple uninterrupted days off work, I’d give it a shot, but I don’t. Not looking to dump nearly what I paid for the truck into repairing it. Any ideas?

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    That sucks, I know nothing about Pensacola, sorry. At 250K on my Qx4 I just did valve cover gaskets. It runs good but I'm starting to burn some oil. My Dodge 4.7 burned up 1 engine that I replaced with a borrowed cherry picker & engine stand (on dirt w/plywood). Used engine ran a year before the head gasket started leaking. I replaced the gaskets and have it almost back together, then it got put on the back burner, over a year ago. Gonna have to finish it in anticipation for an overhaul on the other soon. I went to auto mechanic school back in the 80s, I learned I didn't like being greasy all the time, but learned that I've never been very dependent on mechanics because of how much they charge, unless I'm busy making money and I need it fast or it's an automatic transmission. I even mount my own tires. NGL, it's getting harder on my body though. Good luck!

Caveman94

Expert
    You must have the v6. Which are notorious for head gaskets failing in the 4th gens. Especially the 03-06 models.

Most head gasket jobs are $3000-$4000. Even with the parts you said they would replace I think they are way overcharging you.

Gulf Breeze Automotive/Diesel is who I used for both of my 4Runners when I had them. They will let you bring your parts fyi. They won’t warranty the parts however. I had a 2000 and 2005 4Runner for years so feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions. I know both generations like the back of my hand

You must have the v6. Which are notorious for head gaskets failing in the 4th gens. Especially the 03-06 models.

Most head gasket jobs are $3000-$4000. Even with the parts you said they would replace I think they are way overcharging you.

Gulf Breeze Automotive/Diesel is who I used for both of my 4Runners when I had them. They will let you bring your parts fyi. They won’t warranty the parts however. I had a 2000 and 2005 4Runner for years so feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions. I know both generations like the back of my hand

Yep. 2005. The 1GR-FE V6. I was expecting around $3500. $6500 is just undoable for a truck I paid $7K for.

It only smokes on cranking, doesn’t overheat. The shop I took it to called me in and cammed the cylinder for me and showed me the coolant in it. I have a feeling the gasket failure is between the cylinders. I changed the oil a couple weeks ago and it was black with no sign of coolant in it.

I’ll check in with GB Auto. Thank you.

Caveman94

Expert
    Yep. 2005. The 1GR-FE V6. I was expecting around $3500. $6500 is just undoable for a truck I paid $7K for.

It only smokes on cranking, doesn’t overheat. The shop I took it to called me in and cammed the cylinder for me and showed me the coolant in it. I have a feeling the gasket failure is between the cylinders. I changed the oil a couple weeks ago and it was black with no sign of coolant in it.

I’ll check in with GB Auto. Thank you.
    White smoke? And are you losing coolant? And how many miles?

I agree, $6500 is a quote of “I don’t want to do it, but for this price I will”

White smoke? And are you losing coolant? And how many miles?

I agree, $6500 is a quote of “I don’t want to do it, but for this price I will”
    Little white smoke immediately when cranking. Haven’t measured coolant loss. It’s probably resealing when it’s warm. Just under 204k miles.

M60Gunner

Master
    Debroux on Davis has been good to me over the years.

Timpe

Shooter
    Just had my 2000 Frontier QuadCab gone through at East Hill Automotive. The truck only has 130k on it but needed quite a bit of work done. Was wanting a newer model truck but a truck with low mileage ten years newer with more mileage was 15 grand or more. At 70 I don’t need to spend that much on a ***** vehicle. I put 6k in mine. Just made a trip up to Atlanta and back. Truck ran great.
    Give Ryan a call.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Yep, I’ll second the Blue Devil, I’ve never used it myself but I have two friends that have used it for leaking head gaskets and the stuff worked for them and they are stil driving their vehicles daily with 300,000 plus miles on them , I’d definitely try Blue Devil before paying a big shop bill

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Yep, I’ll second the Blue Devil, I’ve never used it myself but I have two friends that have used it for leaking head gaskets and the stuff worked for them and they are stil driving their vehicles daily with 300,000 plus miles on them , I’d definitely try Blue Devil before paying a big shop bill
    I read reviews before trying it the 1st time, the only negative review complained it only worked 200,000 in his Subaru. Fixed a Chrysler minivan until it was totalled 2 years later. I've had it not work, the afore mentioned blown engine in my Dodge, and had other successes. It's not cheap. If you want something cheaper, the next best I've found is the clear (water-glass) w/the copper flakes in it.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    My friends that used the Blue Devil swear by it, one put in his Monte Carlo and the other one put in his half ton Chevy pickup.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom