• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccc

Master
    Buy American.

Become a prepper. Stockpile or whine? Choice is yours.
    Or maybe work three jobs like I have done to make ends meet instead of thinking because you move a C-Container from point a to point b means you have a doctorate. They are not worth the wage they want, They simply have the mechanism to demand it.

Southalabama

Master
    Or maybe work three jobs like I have done to make ends meet instead of thinking because you move a C-Container from point a to point b means you have a doctorate. They are not worth the wage they want, They simply have the mechanism to demand it.
    Change occupations.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    I grew up in union country and they can go pound sand . They may have started out to be a good thing. What they have evolved into is for people that are too stupid to negotiate their own worth. Hopefully the union president dies of anal cancer while he has itchy, anal warts and two broken arms.
    Yep, I said what I said, don’t really care if it offends union members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ouch..

DustyDog

Master
    I grew up in union country and they can go pound sand . They may have started out to be a good thing. What they have evolved into is for people that are too stupid to negotiate their own worth. Hopefully the union president dies of anal cancer while he has itchy, anal warts and two broken arms.
    Yep, I said what I said, don’t really care if it offends union members.

Yep... I realized decades ago that unions are great... for people who are incompetent. And this in addition to the fact that they are usually communist fronts, which totally makes sense.

DustyDog

Master
    Interesting thread on another forum by a dock worker.

His words,

They want to automate our jobs out of existence to save money.
    Exactly what will happen when they price themselves out of the market.

Remember Detroit? Where are those jobs now? My '02 Focus was assembled in Mexico, even as Mexicans poured into the U.S. "looking for jobs". WTF?!?

I know it's a messed up situation (primarily due to "globalization" and uncontrolled immigration), but "collective bargaining", where the incompetent are lifted up by the competent, makes it worse.

Southalabama

Master
    Where the country has messed up and imho will lead to its lean times Is allowing foreign companies to control critical infrastructure and materials.

The union is negotiating against a collective of foreign owned shipping companies and seems most here are rooting for the foreigners, All this is going to end badly for the USA.

Welldoya

Master
    Back in the mid ‘70s I worked loading ships for part of the summer.
    I wasn’t union but they would hire me if they needed help that day. The catch was I had to go down to the port at 6:00 am each day and might not get hired.
    Minimum wage was either $1.65 or $2.00 an hour and the job paid $8.
    It was hot, manual labor down in the hold of the ship but I thought I was in the money.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Change occupations.

If they don’t like to pay or working conditions, they can actually change jobs also, nobody is keeping them at the docks if they’re worth $200,000 a year there’s plenty of other jobs out there that pay that they should go get one.
    I just had a guy about six months ago. Tell me that he can go anywhere else and make $20-$30,000 more a year so I gave him that opportunity. And I did it with zero regrets because he was nothing but a whiny pain in the ass , must’ve been hanging out with longshoreman or something

Southalabama

Master
    If they don’t like to pay or working conditions, they can actually change jobs also, nobody is keeping them at the docks if they’re worth $200,000 a year there’s plenty of other jobs out there that pay that they should go get one.
    I just had a guy about six months ago. Tell me that he can go anywhere else and make $20-$30,000 more a year so I gave him that opportunity. And I did it with zero regrets because he was nothing but a whiny pain in the ass , must’ve been hanging out with longshoreman or something

Port workers earn some of the highest wages among blue-collar workers. Under the current contract with the East Coast union, a top-scale longshoreman could earn up to $39 an hour, which translates to about $81,000 a year. But many workers take overtime and extra shifts that have higher rates.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Port workers earn some of the highest wages among blue-collar workers. Under the current contract with the East Coast union, a top-scale longshoreman could earn up to $39 an hour, which translates to about $81,000 a year. But many workers take overtime and extra shifts that have higher rates.

OK and your point is? They’re already some of the highest earners yet they want to earn more. I get that however when they’re told no, we’re not going to pay that they are free to leave. And if they want to shut down a business because the business doesn’t want to pay them more, they don’t need to whine and cry about losing their jobs because it’s free market. They can go anywhere else and work and the company is free to hire whoever they want at whatever wages those workers will accept.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    It’s a fight between foreign ship companies and American workers. I support the Americans.
    I think if it was just that, more folks would also be backing them. When their greed comes before this country's welfare and the people's ability to feed families it is wrong. As said, they are free to find better employment, and I am CERTAIN their seat will be filled by a person glad to have that job, and those wages. IMO Unions are nothing more than organized crime these days..

Viking1204

Master
    They turned a hell of an offer so we all get to suffer. I'd take a 50% raise and triple more going to my retirement, see below what they turned down yesterday. I find it hard to support them when they turned down what they did.

USMX reportedly made a new offer to the ILA on Monday afternoon that would've raised wages by nearly 50% over the new contract as well as tripling employer contributions to retirement plans, better health care and kept language about automation in the deal. Sources told FOX Business that the ILA rejected the offer and didn't make a counter.

Last edited:

.22 cents

Master
    I have a feeling the ones they LET cross the border will come into play. Just my gut talking. Maybe just gas

Top Bottom