Looking at buying a 10-22 pros cons anybody?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FUPAGUNT

Master
    Id stick with the 60. One of the if not THE most accurate shooting .22's straight out of the box.

Or better yet, buy yourself one of them fancy 10-22's and I will take the 60 of your hands :) I always have room for one more!!

Last edited:

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    I agree my marlin model 60 was dead on out of the box, If you like buying "EXCESSories" then get the 10/22

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    My 10/22 was great, as long as I used the 10 round factory mag it was very reliable. For me, the bolt hold open was awkward, mag changes were awkward and if I tried high cap mags, it wouldnt run reliably.

I can't say enough good things about an AR with a .22lr upper. I am of the opinion that they are the only way to go as far as semi auto high cap .22 rifles go.

BigDaddy

Master
    My 10/22 was great, as long as I used the 10 round factory mag it was very reliable. For me, the bolt hold open was awkward, mag changes were awkward and if I tried high cap mags, it wouldnt run reliably.

I can't say enough good things about an AR with a .22lr upper. I am of the opinion that they are the only way to go as far as semi auto high cap .22 rifles go.

I had a mossberg ar type. 22 I was just curious about the 10-22 seems to be a benchmark gun

Mullet Hunter

Master
    I've had 10-22's forever I don't shoot high capacity mags, all of mine have scopes and are stock, the other two are well built target guns with match barrels and custom stocks. I love the platform and it is a staple of the 22LR...

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I have a 10/22 I bought new in 1969. I don't think I ever actually cleaned it other than blowing out the receiver with air and flooding with Rem Oil. Never failed.

I have a new 10/22 FS "Tactical" model. Tactical means black, no sights, scope rail, and standard 1/2-28 threaded barrel with flash supressor. I had a Tier 1 trigger job done by Brimstone Gunsmithing and added a 3x9x40 Nikon scope. It will shoot 1/2" at 50 yards with the right ammo.

I have 4 Ruger 25 round magazines that have never failed with any ammo that I have tried. Even the 500+ round value pack ammo feeds just fine. I think Ruger did have some quality control issues with the extended magazines a while back. A little dressing with a file would fix them.

The factory bolt lock is a real PITA. Five minutes with a dremel tool fixes it or most anywhere sells a replacement that works the same as the mod. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY3BFyknLzo

Out of the box 10/22s almost always have a crappy trigger pull but it doesn't take much tweaking to make it right.

There is a ton of good info on rimfirecentral.com

Lots of trigger/action DIY parts and kits from https://www.volquartsen.com/tags/4-action-trigger-components,13-ruger-10-22 and many others.

Last edited:

signal 0

Shooter
    I Have to agree with ya'll... I have a Ruger 10/22...Great small game rifle. Its wearing a 9x scope and is a blast to shoot.

scoob

Shooter
    i love my 10/22, i did all my own mods- bolt holdopen, trigger, hammer sear(i dont recomend doing this one if you are not famillar with it. it could become dangerous), polished the inside of the reciever,and rounded the bolt. overall its a good deal better. im very happy with it. its way more accurate than i am lol

Top Bottom