• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Giortire

Expert
    I have the opportunity to get a new handgun and was looking for suggestions. I am in good shape on concealed carry, and am also good on 1911 platforms, and .22 target pistols.
    What I want is something that will be fun to shoot at the range (I might use it as a bedside table gun, but normally use 1911's for that).
    I would prefer to go with a 9mm or .45ACP, as these are the calibers a I load for.
    So basically I am looking for the perfect all around "range gun"
    As always, I appreciate everyone's advice and opinions.

JohnnyRuger

Expert
    I have a Ruger SR9 that I use as a range gun. Affordable, ergonomic and it has a nice trigger. 800 rounds through it with no issues. It does have a lot of safety features, but if I take someone new to shooting to the range they feel more comfortable with that pistol than any others I have. Great gun for the money. I am interested to see what you choose. Good luck.

Django

Master
    I use a Glock 23 Gen 3. All kinds of after market and conversion options. I picked up a used one so I don't worry about keeping it pristine. I have a LW 40-9 conversion barrel with several standard 9mm mags and a couple 33 round 9mm mags and AA .22 conversion kit. It gives me all kind of options. I bought my XDm .45 3.8 new so I keep it as my bedside gun. XDm may be closer to your 1911 and for me, more accurate than the Glock. Both are versatile, fun to shoot, easy to field strip and clean which is a plus in a "range gun". YMMV. Enjoy the search/research!

Stagman

Master
    Gen 4 G17 and put a 3.5 lb connector in it to lighten the trigger pull and you will have a fun range gun.

Giortire

Expert
    Thanks Guys,
    I am leaning towards the Glock. I haven't owned one, and think it may be time. Plus, if i don't like it, it seems like the resale is good on them.:amen:

Jon

Expert
    I have a couple of Glocks, but the 26 is by far my favorite carry AND range pistol. It's accurate as heck and can take any of the other higher cap 9mm Glock mags. I just love the versatility of it.

Stagman

Master
    Thanks Guys,
    I am leaning towards the Glock. I haven't owned one, and think it may be time. Plus, if i don't like it, it seems like the resale is good on them.:amen:
    I use to be a Glock hater mainly because fan boys were annoying, but now I own two a G17 and G26 and there is no looking back. The great thing about Glocks is the accessories are cheap and easy to find and it's easy to install the parts yourself.

Giortire

Expert
    I ended up getting a Gen4 Glock 17. I am heading to the range tomorrow, and starting to look at potential mods tonight!

Giortire

Expert
    Thanks Stagman.... I already started detail stripping the gun, and it looks like it would be pretty easy to install. From what I have seen, that is a good price on a 3.5 connector.

Stagman

Master
    I reviewed the heck out of different 3.5lb connectors and came to the conclusion that the Zev Tech was the best.

Stagman

Master
    Thanks Stagman, I am going to order these this week. I appreciate the advice.
    No problem, but I must warn you that your Glock obsession has started. Glocks are like potato chips, you can't have just one and great purchase buying the Gen4 G17 I have the Gen3 G17 and I want to add the Gen4 G17 to my collection soon.

Top Bottom