• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccc

Master
    I hunt with a 1971 BAR 30.06, and it has never failed to drop them in their tracks, one shot one kill. I will switch to .243 at some point, when this surgery laden right shoulder has had enough, but for now 30.06, is still my go to.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Have 2 . A 1903 sporter has been around forever & has my last 4 groove GI barrel . Still has her Zeiss Diatal-T 6x42 . A Rem 700 I bought in '73 upon return to the big PX . Rebarreled & rebedded got a Leupy 3.5 - 10 x 50 VX3 Heavy Duplex on her . Both have harvested their share . With new powders & a modern action one can safely duplicate 300 H&H mag performance . Keep range reasonable , match the bullet to the game & it'll kill anything in North America . Wouldn't be my choice for the larger bears , but they've been done in by lesser calibers .

shootin-blanks

Shooter
    My goto for the last 20 years is a 700 ADL in 30-06, bedded, trigger job and also wears a Leupy 3.5 - 10 x 50 VX3 Heavy Duplex.
    165gr Nosler BT over a healty charge of Varget. shoots under a 1/2" @ 100yd and has not lost a deer to date.. Here is last weeks opening day in Missouri. Neck shot 85yd, fell where it stood.

Attachments

• opeing_day1.JPG
      opeing_day1.JPG
      301 KB · Views: 56
    • opeing_day.JPG
      opeing_day.JPG
      435.4 KB · Views: 55

shootin-blanks

Shooter
    Like many cartridges of it's era , it kills better than its ballistics look on paper . Suprisingly some think it kicks too hard . What I love is its versatility .
    It's not very fun to shoot full power loads from the bench wearing Florida attire, but a lead bag tames it well.. never noticed the kick shooting at game

ccc

Master
    It's not very fun to shoot full power loads from the bench wearing Florida attire, but a lead bag tames it well.. never noticed the kick shooting at game
    Yea if I shoot it 20 times I start to feel it, but just one shot I do not notice at all

M118LR

Master
    Round these parts there isn't much reason to pick the 30-06. .30 caliber projectiles in the 165 grain weight range are more than capable of taking all the big game found round here, so even the .308 Win is a little overkill. Since the .308 Win is available in more styles of current production rifles, and almost always weighs less than the same style of rifle in 30-06, there is no reason to carry the 30-06's extra weight. Perhaps if one was going to hunt in places other than the Gulf Coast Area, and also hunt the largest of Tooth & Claw Critter's it might be worth the added expense in ammunition dollars and carry weight to choose the 30-06, but the .308 Win will do everything round here with lower ammunition costs and at a lighter carry weight. Apple to apple example. https://ruger.com/products/scoutRifle/specSheets/6829.html. https://ruger.com/products/guideGun/specSheets/47118.html

boatbum101

Marksman
    Even your beloved 308 is overkill for anything in FL . If the 308 was limited to '06 pressures it wouldn't even be in the same ballpark . Bigger case = more energy = more velocity= more killing power at a further range . All things a hunter considers . For paper-punchin' @ known range , & / or elimination of a threat not so much .
    Many factors contribute to a rifles accuracy , cartridge / chambering is just part of it .

M118LR

Master
    Even your beloved 308 is overkill for anything in FL . If the 308 was limited to '06 pressures it wouldn't even be in the same ballpark . Bigger case = more energy = more velocity= more killing power at a further range . All things a hunter considers . For paper-punchin' @ known range , & / or elimination of a threat not so much .
    Many factors contribute to a rifles accuracy , cartridge / chambering is just part of it .
    I'm a little confused on what point your making? 1. Overkill is only something that effects your shoulder/Marksmanship. Recoil related flinch etc. Critters are not effected by overkill, but lack of sufficient energy and improper shot placement can effect efficient harvesting. 2. Since both the 30-06 & .308 Win use the same projectile pick any 165 for comparison. I like Nosler Partitions, so. https://www.nosler.com/308-win-165gr-partition-trophy-grade-ammunition.html. https://www.nosler.com/30-06-springfield-165gr-partition-trophy-grade-ammunition.html Even at 400 yards (if you take such shots) both the 1850 fps (that Nosler recommended as min) and the 1000 foot pounds of kinetic energy are still in effect. So with proper shot placement a Humane Harvest is attainable. Now I'm not sure that I would consider a .308 165 grain at .308 Win velocities OVERKILL on a Full grown Male Black Bear at 300 yards? 2166 fps 1719 lbf @ 300 yards that's about what a 30-30 has at the muzzle. But yes, I am a .308 Win fan. https://www.americanhunter.org/content/top-bear-rifles-and-loads/

Last edited:

SUPERLITE69

Expert
    I’m not sure how you started your comment with “overkill only effects the shooter” and ended on “308 is overkill for a full grown male black bear”, but power to ya.

Both are exciting rounds.

M118LR

Master
    I’m not sure how you started your comment with “overkill only effects the shooter” and ended on “308 is overkill for a full grown male black bear”, but power to ya.

Both are exciting rounds.
    I'm not the only one that gets confused. Think I stated that it wouldn't be overkill on the game consistently. Perhaps I didn't communicate effectively?

Gumby Hunter

Expert
    Bought a mauser that’s been rebarreled in ‘06, a Boyd stock fitted great but the trigger was horrible finally decided to put a timney trigger on it and now this is a keeper! I will be using this old girl this deer season.
    It loves 165 gr corelok ,they are hard to find so I guess when I run out of what I got ,I’ll have to find another it will digest.

Sporter

Expert
    My father was a taxidermist in Bay County back in the day. You'd be surprised how many deer were killed with a 22LR to the head. However, most of them were dropped with 30-30s. That said, I prefer my 30.06 over my 308 but I have used a 30-30 as well.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    I bought a beautiful used Ruger 77 in 30-06 (wood stock) with 19” barrel that has a 3x12x56 Kahles scope on it, not a scratch on this gun, paid $500 out the door at a little gun shop about 30 years ago, I’ve lost count of how many deer this rifle has put down. Found a good used Remington 7600 pump in 30-06 for $325 about 20 years ago and it’s been fatal on many bucks, then along came a Remington 760 pump in 30-06 with 18” barrel, same results, deadly buck killer. And last year my neighbor sold me his Dad’s Browning Bar in 30-06, a week later his Dad passed away with Covid, I offered him the gun back but he told me his Dad was ready to get rid of it at the time, I’ve never shot it. The 30-06 is my favorite caliber, I’ve got so many hunting rifles in just about any caliber you can name but I’ll put the 30-06 at the top of the list any day of the week, hard hitting caliber that will reach on out there. Of those four 30-06’s that I have, I came across a good used H&R Handi Rifle in the 25-06 caliber about 3 years ago and it’s a favorite caliber too that’s accounted for some very long shots.

M118LR

Master
    I've got to admit that both controlled round feed bolt actions and the 30-06 have a place in American Hunting. Some of them are easy on the eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_20221128_182302301.jpg
      IMG_20221128_182302301.jpg
      222.4 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Top Bottom