Mobile County Sheriff Burch seeks to amend AL’s permitless carry law, require permits for Under-21

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miami_JBT

Expert
    An Alabama Republican sheriff wants to see youths under age 21 required to purchase a permit to carry a concealed weapon, and he’s gathering information to see if there can be an effort to change the permitless carry law in the Alabama Legislature.

Mobile County Sheriff Paul Burch told AL.com last week that young offenders have increasingly been those involved in gun and gang-related violence in the past year, and that requiring them to carry a permit would give law enforcement a tool to seize the firearms before they are used violently.

“I agree with the argument that the people committing these crimes will get a gun regardless of what the law said,” said Burch. “But right now, we don’t have the ability to take it from them.”

He added, “I think what would help in maybe moving in this right direction is to have some education for law enforcement, as well, that this isn’t (targeted at) the school teacher who left a gun in their car. Common sense comes along with this. But when you got a group of people riding around at 2 in the morning with multiple guns in the car, there is no good intention there.”

Burch said he plans to approach lawmakers to gauge interest in his proposal, including the “primary contributors to the permitless carry bill” that was approved by lawmakers in 2022, and signed into law.

One of the chief proponents of the bill was Rep. Shane Stringer, R-Citronelle, a former Captain within the Mobile County Sheriff’s Office who was removed from his position in 2021, because of differing views about a statewide permitless carry law with then-Sheriff Sam Cochran. Stringer did not return a call for comment.

Alabama became the 25th state in the U.S. to approve a permitless carry law in 2022 amid a push by gun rights groups and a looming election that year. The approval came above the objection of law enforcement officials, particularly county sheriffs who were worried about public safety and revenue losses.

It’s unclear if any effort to undo the permitless carry law will have any interest from the Republican-dominated Legislature.

Former Baldwin County Sheriff Huey “Hoss” Mack, the new executive director with the Alabama Sheriffs Association, told AL.com last month that he didn’t anticipate any legislation coming forward on permitless carry, saying the sheriffs have “accepted” the law that lawmakers passed. He said sheriffs have reached out to their county commissioners to handle the decreased revenues from the permit fees, and that taxpayers – via General Funds – are supplementing the losses.

Burch said he’s just trying to gauge interest right now, and only recently came up with the idea about instituting a permit requirement for youths who carry concealed guns.

“I think it would help law enforcement toward tackling the gun violence an arresting and seizing those guns used in these crimes prior to a shooting having occurred,” Burch said. “I don’t know how it will be received, but I think it’s a discussion that needs to be had.”

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Ya, this was on talk radio this morning. I wasn't quite sure of the backstory or what news I may have missed.
    Mobile ... and I feel for those members who live there .... seems to really be a hot bed of shooting activity the last few years. Not sure exactly why, but not a day passes when there isn't a shooting.

Miami_JBT

Expert
    Ya, this was on talk radio this morning. I wasn't quite sure of the backstory or what news I may have missed.
    Mobile ... and I feel for those members who live there .... seems to really be a hot bed of shooting activity the last few years. Not sure exactly why, but not a day passes when there isn't a shooting.
    Same issue as we have in Florida. Jerks in office think they know how to better run society than the very people who put them in office.

He sounds like he's no different than Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri.

An authoritarian that doesn't want people to be exercise their rights since that makes their jobs "hard."

They have no respect for the Second, Fourth, and Fifth Amendments. THey view those rights as pesky things in the way. With 'em there, they have to develop probable cause to determine if someone is actually a dirtbag, again, meaning they have to do their job and do it in a manner that doesn't violate the Second, Fourth, and Fifth Amendments.

By simply making it to where either someone under 21 needs a permission slip, or simply can't carry at all. It makes their jobs far less demanding.

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Same issue as we have in Florida. Jerks in office think they know how to better run society than the very people who put them in office.

An authoritarian that doesn't want people to be exercise their rights since that makes their jobs "hard."

They have no respect for the Second, Fourth, and Fifth Amendments. THey view those rights as pesky things in the way. With 'em there, they have to develop probable cause to determine if someone is actually a dirtbag, again, meaning they have to do their job and do it in a manner that doesn't violate the Second, Fourth, and Fifth Amendments.

By simply making it to where either someone under 21 needs a permission slip, or simply can't carry at all. It makes their jobs far less demanding.
    Agreed. Just last month I had a prelim where cop stated he was "driving by," and smelled marijuana. He stopped, jumped out and gave chase. Arrested kid. No weed on the kid.
    Vehicle search back at the house where vehicle in the driveway. Found a bag a weed under the passenger seat. There were other passengers who by this time were all under gunpoint by SO. All were arrested and charged. Another constructive possession case!
    Said under oath during prelim, he has a hyper-sensitive smell when it comes to pot. What the fug?

Judge bound him over to the GJ.

Yeah, who cares about the constitution anymore? Thanks, judge.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter

Its everywhere. People with authority don't like the responsibility or want that authority being questioned.

Miami_JBT

Expert
    Agreed. Just last month I had a prelim where cop stated he was "driving by," and smelled marijuana. He stopped, jumped out and gave chase. Arrested kid. No weed on the kid.
    Vehicle search back at the house where vehicle in the driveway. Found a bag a weed under the passenger seat. There were other passengers who by this time were all under gunpoint by SO. All were arrested and charged. Another constructive possession case!
    Said under oath during prelim, he has a hyper-sensitive smell when it comes to pot. What the fug?

Judge bound him over to the GJ.

Yeah, who cares about the constitution anymore? Thanks, judge.
    When Florida Republicans passed the Parkland gun control bill that included Red Flag Orders. One of the major papers in FL interviewed a few judges and kept their names anonymously. All of the judges basically said the same thing.

"We will approve every RFO that comes across our desks because we don't want to be questioned if we actually start to review these and one nut-job happens to slip through. So, we're just going to rubber stamp them and let the innocent people be figured out later."

The worst fallout from Parkland was that it was an absolute failure of government for why Parkland even happened. But that report is not being released publicly since it would shift the burden of failure to the very people who passed more gun control.

Recondo 101

Expert
    Speaking of Parkway I love what happened to that Sheriff. Have you ever see a "for cause" letter. They are a beautiful, a one shot kill, exquisitely simple and very deadly.

Just one simple line and death has arrived for an official.

My favorite Broward County Supervisor of Elections also got a "for cause", and it was so deserved.

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    When Florida Republicans passed the Parkland gun control bill that included Red Flag Orders. One of the major papers in FL interviewed a few judges and kept their names anonymously. All of the judges basically said the same thing.

"We will approve every RFO that comes across our desks because we don't want to be questioned if we actually start to review these and one nut-job happens to slip through. So, we're just going to rubber stamp them and let the innocent people be figured out later."

The worst fallout from Parkland was that it was an absolute failure of government for why Parkland even happened. But that report is not being released publicly since it would shift the burden of failure to the very people who passed more gun control.
    I’m not surprised.
    Same here in Alabama with (domestic) PFAs.
    No one wants to make front page news the next morning for denying one.

Loss of rights. Tragic on many levels.

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    This. Sheriff's office lost a massive chunk of funding once constitutional carry was implemented. The only reason to get one now is if you go in and out of state frequently
    Don't forget the "discretionary" food budgets they have. A lot of money tends to go unaccounted for..............

IronBeard

Master
    Mobile is steadily becoming new orleans without the alcohol, urine, and vomit in the streets, for now.

After enduring multiple posts re; AL and FL anti-gun BS, maybe both states ought to enact "laws" stipulating that you cannot obtain a driver's license or join the military until you are 21...

ABlaster

Marksman

The Parkland report isn't public yet? WTF? Now I want to find it.

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Mobile is steadily becoming new orleans without the alcohol, urine, and vomit in the streets, for now.

After enduring multiple posts re; AL and FL anti-gun BS, maybe both states ought to enact "laws" stipulating that you cannot obtain a driver's license or join the military until you are 21...
    I had court in Mobile this past Thursday. I park and walk.
    The smell of weed and urine is pretty pungent. Didn’t spot any puke, but there were several homeless wandering around. It’s becoming a mini New Orleans in my view.

IronBeard

Master
    I had court in Mobile this past Thursday. I park and walk.
    The smell of weed and urine is pretty pungent. Didn’t spot any puke, but there were several homeless wandering around. It’s becoming a mini New Orleans in my view.
    Well, I guess I'm trying to see it in a positive manner 'cause the family still likes to walk the better parts of the city. Parts of Pensacola aren't any better...

Top Bottom