• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
    anybody own a Mossberg 590A1, what are your thoughts on them? have you had any issues? what are your likes and dislikes?

Murfpcola

Master
    I do not own a 590a1 but have owned several Mossbergs in the 500 series and an 835. That being said they tend to have a lot more “rattle” in the slide than some other brands/designs. All of mine have been flawless. I should have bought more when all the cheap police trade-ins were available.

SAWMAN

Master
    Watching for responses also.
    I know they are a sturdy gun ... but -->
    * Will they reliability feed all shells including mini-shells w/ OPSOL ??
    * Will the reliability extract/eject ??
    * Are they easy to work on ?? (My Shockwave is.)
    *Aftermarket parts and/or upgrades ??
    * Bbl lengths ??
    * ETC,ETC. ---- SAWMAN

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    500's are aluminum receivers, 590 are steel. its a proven platform with a long history in combat. i'm a Remington kinda guy and prefer a semi-auto as my 51yo shoulder doesn't care for the pump gun recoil so much... nothing wrong with a 590 tho.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Watching for responses also.
    I know they are a sturdy gun ... but -->
    * Will they reliability feed all shells including mini-shells w/ OPSOL ??
    * Will the reliability extract/eject ??
    * Are they easy to work on ?? (My Shockwave is.)
    *Aftermarket parts and/or upgrades ??
    * Bbl lengths ??
    * ETC,ETC. ---- SAWMAN
    the shockwaves are built on the same receiver as the 590A1 fyi, so that might answer some of the questions SAWMAN.

500's are aluminum receivers, 590 are steel. its a proven platform with a long history in combat. i'm a Remington kinda guy and prefer a semi-auto as my 51yo shoulder doesn't care for the pump gun recoil so much... nothing wrong with a 590 tho.
    I thought 590a1 had aluminum receivers, which I may be wrong sir?

pfunk

Expert
    I’ve owned one for many years. It’s a tank. At the Navy’s request it has a thicker barrel than all the other Mossberg shotguns. Not sure why the Navy wanted that but it does add some weight. It’s been flawless. It has never failed to load, fire and eject any shells it’s been fed. From good domestic to seriously crappy import shells, it’s eaten them. These shotguns have twin extractors, a metal safety and metal trigger guard. Mine has no more rattle than any 870 I’ve ever handled, actually less than some. I’ve never tried mini shells so I don’t know if it will handle them. It has a bayonet lug that works with an M9 bayonet. I have a twenty inch barrel version that holds 8 in the tube and one in the chamber when using 2 3/4” shells. You lose one when running 3” shells. They accept the Magpul SGA accessories. I also added a Mesa Tactical aluminum receiver mounted shell holder. With the recent release of the 590a1 Retro, Mossberg now produces a barrel heat shield that fits the 590a1’s thicker barrel so I ordered one from Mossberg. I don’t think there is a better built combat type
    0a523c3bd41e0490bceb14c224fdbf06.jpg

pump Gun on the market, especially when you consider the price. The US military has been way harder on them than I ever have and they are still buying them. Sometimes simple and heavy works.
    14578bdb1997158d25cd0c6afebeba28.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fear21

Master
    anybody own a Mossberg 590A1, what are your thoughts on them? have you had any issues? what are your likes and dislikes?
    Used to have one. They're absolute tanks, a bit heavier / beefier than their Mossy 500 cousins. IIRC the 500/590 was the only shotgun to pass military trials for pump shotguns.

Addressing some of Sawman's concerns - never tried mini shells in mine / didn't have an OPSOL, but it ate anything I fed it otherwise with no issues at all. Extraction and ejection were solid, no problems. The 500/590 series and Rem 870s are pretty much the ARs of the shotgun world - aftermarket accessories are abundant. Super easy to tear down and work on, lots of parts available (at least there were, dunno about the current situation with the pandemic and whatnot). 590s come with either 18.5" or 20" barrels; mine was a 20". I wish I had the 18.5, nothing wrong with the 20 but I've mostly moved toward shorter guns - an 18.5" shotgun is perfect, IMO. There's also a 14" SBS model if you wanna jump through all the NFA crap.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    I thought 590a1 had aluminum receivers, which I may be wrong sir?
    i was wrong, my bad. its the trigger group and safety parts that are steel vs aluminum on 500s... got it backwards. both the 59a1 and shockwave are the same, barrel is thicker on 590a1. sorry.

i was wrong, my bad. its the trigger group and safety parts that are steel vs aluminum on 500s... got it backwards. both the 59a1 and shockwave are the same, barrel is thicker on 590a1. sorry.
    That's no problem sir, appreciate you coming back to clarify.

M60Gunner

Master
    For me at least the 590a1 was hard to find, got lucky and was able to get a 590 here from a fellow member. The trigger assembly is plastic, but so is the one on my maverick 88 and neither have ever had any issue.

ted-hurst

Master
    I own a 590A1 and love it. Eats anything and with the magwell adapter you can run the mini shells. I put the wood furniture on mine years ago and now so does Mossberg.

SAWMAN

Master
    That wood on the MOSS site is very appealing.
    Old school,retro,reminds me of my old 37. ---- SAWMAN

pfunk

Expert
    Which wood furniture did you put on yours? When I was ordering the heat shield from Mossberg for mine, I asked if they would make the Retro furniture available for sale. They said they did not intend to at that time. I would definitely throw the wood on mine. I love the retro look.

pfunk

Expert
    I do however really like the grip angle on the Magpul SGA stock I have. I didn’t care for SGA forend so I kept Mossberg one on it. I felt like I got a better grip on it that the Magpul one.

M60Gunner

Master
    Love the hogue so much I put the sets on all my shotguns except the 88

Snake-Eyes

Master
    The new 590S eats everything 3" and shorter. No need for an adapter. Mix em in the tube. Reliable and dependable.

SAWMAN

Master
    You can get wood furniture for the Rem TAC-14's also.
    To me .... much better looking. ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom