• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoda

Shooter
    Very strange. When I worked at Academy I sent warranty stuff to Taurus weekly. When a replacement happened, we were instructed to do another 4473 due to the serial number. Yes, I know a warranty issue may be shipped & received directly to customer. I did it twice with a Sig. But I'm surprised they did that for the return with a different number

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    maybe it's just a Taurus policy. I really don't know anything other than what they told me.

edited...maybe because the FFL dealer (Academy) sent them in rather than the owner, and they were returned to the FFL.

Reactions: FLT

HayesGreener

Expert
    No insult intended to other members here, but It puzzles me why knowledgeable people would buy Taurus products. I have seen so many failures in Taurus guns that I will not allow them in my classes any more. Their quality control is so inconsistent that getting a Taurus that you can rely on is like hitting the lucky numbers. Their primary virtue is that they are cheap. I am not the least bit surprised at service delays-they probably have warranty returns stacked up around their ears.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    @HayesGreener

I have a Taurus revolver and it works well enough for its intended purpose. I had to find what the shooter (my wife) liked best, so I couldn't just give her my Glock or Smith options. Im not a huge fan of them, but it's really down to the shooter to pick what they like. Just my .02 and thats probably all its worth. :)

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    I'm sure that many people have gotten good service from Taurus products. I've never owned one myself and likely never will...there are just too many other choices available.

kendive

Master
    No insult intended to other members here, but It puzzles me why knowledgeable people would buy Taurus products. I have seen so many failures in Taurus guns that I will not allow them in my classes any more. Their quality control is so inconsistent that getting a Taurus that you can rely on is like hitting the lucky numbers. Their primary virtue is that they are cheap. I am not the least bit surprised at service delays-they probably have warranty returns stacked up around their ears.
    I have never had an issue with an Taurus product... Matter of fact I bought a used 5 shot Stainless .38 from this forum and the Cylinder was a little loose. I sent it in to them and got it back quick and they repaired it like it was brand new out of the box no questions asked.

I don't care who the gun manufacture is... You can have bad luck with them. I don't care who they are.

wildrider666

Master
    IIRC I've had six Taurus handguns: several revolvers and two PT 1911s. The only issue I've had was the loss of a rear sight set screw. It did take several weeks to resolve because of parts availability. They offered and sent longer allen screws and I filed and tapered one to secure the sight. Slow: yes. Was it remedied: yes. I still like their revolvers and love their 1911s, though I wouldn't by on of their other semiautomatic pistols. Different Missions drive different standards of acceptability. On the revolver side I placed them above Charter, Rossi (before Taurus bought them out) and RRA. Colt, S&W and Ruger have always been ahead in the overall quality category. YMMV

I too would be more than pissed If I had a gun "Out for Warranty work" as long as OPs was! If a person is a one gun owner and your defense/home defense gun is out of service and unavailable fo a year, that is totally unacceptable.

FrommerStop

Master
    IIRC I've had six Taurus handguns: several revolvers and two PT 1911s. The only issue I've had was the loss of a rear sight set screw. It did take several weeks to resolve because of parts availability. They offered and sent longer allen screws and I filed and tapered one to secure the sight. Slow: yes. Was it remedied: yes. I still like their revolvers and love their 1911s, though I wouldn't by on of their other semiautomatic pistols. Different Missions drive different standards of acceptability. On the revolver side I placed them above Charter, Rossi (before Taurus bought them out) and RRA. Colt, S&W and Ruger have always been ahead in the overall quality category. YMMV

I too would be more than pissed If I had a gun "Out for Warranty work" as long as OPs was! If a person is a one gun owner and your defense/home defense gun is out of service and unavailable fo a year, that is totally unacceptable.
    I can not remember ever hearing of a defective smith and wesson revolver or auto. I assume that they are test fired and that is not true for many makers.
    My only taurus is a K frame wt .22 with 6 inch barrel. The defect is that the chambers were not polished so after the third cylinder the shells are stuck in the chamber. I could polish it myself. never did and have not fired it in many years. Last time with a shot cartridge and killed a squirrel crawling under the eaves.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    It's amazing how the customer support/service can vary from one side of the spectrum to the other based on the manufacturer......

I had the opposite with a SCCY CPX-2. It was failing to feed and eject, after 10 rounds I was done with it. Plus I had a magazine that failed to feed rounds. Checked to see if the spring was upside down, an issue that apparently common with them.

Called them, they emailed me a RMA shipping label, and had me ship it to them. I gave them a week and called to make sure it arrived and to see if they had any questions for me.

The lady pulled it up in the computer, and goes "Oh, you're the one". I was quiet for a moment and then asked did I do something wrong. She replied with " Oh no the opposite, the boys in the back love you, no trouble shooting needed, due to your letter".

I had sent a letter detailing the issues, the fact the problem persisted with three types of factory ammo, etc.

She told me the gun was fixed and already enroute back to me, along with a replacement magazine.

They polished up the feed ramps, chamber, and replaced something. Wrote me a letter back with what all they did.

My wife still doesn't care for it, chews your hand up when shooting it, and you have to make sure you don't limp wrist it, or it will misfire.

It's a truck gun now, I think it has a total of 50 rounds through it if that, looks new, considering it lives in the glove box. I on the other hand carry my Taurus, PT 111 G2, as I have not had any issues with it.

wildrider666

Master
    I can not remember ever hearing of a defective smith and wesson revolver or auto. I assume that they are test fired and that is not true for many makers.
    My only taurus is a K frame wt .22 with 6 inch barrel. The defect is that the chambers were not polished so after the third cylinder the shells are stuck in the chamber. I could polish it myself. never did and have not fired it in many years. Last time with a shot cartridge and killed a squirrel crawling under the eaves.

Seems S&W isn't perfect either.

The BBB also has complaints.

My point being that all firearms mfrs can have recall issues and defective product complaints and even the "prefered brands" can have the same gun sent back to the factory several times and service periods exceeding 6 months!

Last edited:

coralcop

Shooter
    Back in the 80’s, I was the department armorer when we ordered the then new model 686’s. We received 70, of which 60 had long ratchets. The problem was so bad that the cylinder would not advance to the next round. I fixed a few, then sent the rest back. I saw no reason to waste my time fixing guns that should have never passed through quality control. Obviously QC was on vacation that month. All guns can have problems.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    FYI, Regarding the sideline discussion regarding whether a replacement firearm must be sent to an FFL. I emailed Rock Island Armory (RIA), and they just told me that it depends upon the destination state. They directed me to their RMA form, which, according to them, lists the only destinations that prohibit sending replacements directly to the owner/submitter: RIA didn't specify, but I 'assume' it might be different if the original firearm was initially sent to the manufacturer by a dealer. As most of us will agree, it is legal for an individual to return a firearm to the manufacturer for repair without going through a dealer.

From RIA's Return form:

"Residents of MARYLAND, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, and PENNSYLVANIA
    Any work involving replacement of the receiver of a firearm requires that the firearm be returned to a licensed firearms dealer. A
    current, signed copy of the dealer’s FFL will be required. Please provide contact information for the chosen dealer, if applicable. We
    are not responsible for any fees you encounter at the receiving FFL.

Residents of CALIFORNIA
    Any work involving replacement of the receiver of a firearm requires that the firearm be returned to a licensed firearms dealer. A
    current signed copy of the dealer’s FFL will be required. Please provide contact information for the chosen dealer, if applicable. DO
    NOT ship high capacity magazines to us. They cannot be returned. We are not responsible for any fees you encounter at the
    receiving FFL."

Yoda

Shooter
    FYI, Regarding the sideline discussion regarding whether a replacement firearm must be sent to an FFL. I emailed Rock Island Armory (RIA), and they just told me that it depends upon the destination state. They directed me to their RMA form, which, according to them, lists the only destinations that prohibit sending replacements directly to the owner/submitter: RIA didn't specify, but I 'assume' it might be different if the original firearm was initially sent to the manufacturer by a dealer. As most of us will agree, it is legal for an individual to return a firearm to the manufacturer for repair without going through a dealer.

From RIA's Return form:

"Residents of MARYLAND, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, and PENNSYLVANIA
    current, signed copy of the dealer’s FFL will be required. Please provide contact information for the chosen dealer, if applicable. We
    are not responsible for any fees you encounter at the receiving FFL.

Residents of CALIFORNIA
    current signed copy of the dealer’s FFL will be required. Please provide contact information for the chosen dealer, if applicable. DO
    NOT ship high capacity magazines to us. They cannot be returned. We are not responsible for any fees you encounter at the
    receiving FFL."
    I find that very strange as the laws are Federal, not State. But the proof is there.

katanapr3

Shooter
    Last year I bought a Taurus G2C because I saw so many videos on youtube about it and I took the bait. I got home with the new pistol fired about 200 rounds and the gun shot 6 inches low at 7 yrds, it had light primer strikes and even sometimes experienced a dead trigger. I send it back to Taurus and 3 months later it came back out of the blue no notification what so ever. I wasn't home so Fedex left a notification that's how I found out.
    Anyway I tried the gun again after they replaced barrel and rear sight but did nothing to the trigger. I fired 30 rounds and dead trigger again. Next day traded it for something else.

Top Bottom