• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raven

Master
    When I hear stories from S&W, Ruger, Sig, even Taurus buyers lately, regarding warranty work their comments are usually very positive. Savage needs to up their customer service game if they're seeking to occupy that haloed space. Years ago, maybe thirty, a friend of mine had a manufactured defected Savage product. He got his dealer involved in the complaint. They were able to get a refund directly from Savage. I can't remember how long it took or if it was 100% refund but enough that he than purchased a Remington 700 Special Purpose from the same dealer.
    About 10 years ago I owned 3 Savage rifles and all 3 had problems. One WW2 surplus 22lr Enfield trainer in otherwise 95% condition with a badly milled chamber that wouldn't grab the case to eject, and two brand new bolt actions in 22lr that both refused to cycle from their detachable mag. I'll never own another Savage rifle ever again as long as I can help it. Three strikes, you're out.

P.S. I just remembered, about 5 years ago in Maine I owned a 4th Savage for a very brief time... an early model Savage 300 WinMag, pre-Accustock and pre-Accutrigger. I bought it from a coworker who needed the money. I test fired it just to feel a 300 WinMag and then I promptly sold it to Cabela's to get my money back, for what I paid for it. It was unimpressive and not accurate at all. Would have made a great 50 yard moose rifle, as that is about all it could have hit at 50 yards

Last edited:

fv22

Master
    Yesterday afternoon my new rifle arrived from savage, only 10 weeks and 6 days from when I sent it to them...
    Supposedly was range tested at the factory and passed the accuracy and extraction test before it was shipped. Mounted the scope last night and heading to the range today to try it out.

fv22

Master
    Well, I'm cautiously optimistic after the range time today. Gun was accurate right from the start. I got a few sub 1/2" 10 shot groups at 50 yards. All with cheap cci sv ammo, no match stuff yet. Can't complain about that at all. Extraction was pretty good but not perfect. The cci did fail to extract, but not jam, 3 times out of 50, which is a common affliction I've read about with that ammo and gun. Norma Tac 22 and SK special had no extraction issues at all.

We'll see how it's doing after a few more outings, for now I'm happy with the operation of rifle but still sore about the lousy customer service. Only good thing was since they sent a new rifle it included a magazine so got one "free". If you don't count the $71 I spent for shipping and the 11 week wait...

fv22

Master
    After all the bad mouthing I did about Savage I wanted to follow up here with comments about the replacement rifle they sent me. It seemed good at first and I was cautiously optimistic, but I purposely waited until I had a good amount of range trips and rounds through it before I said anything more since the first one seemed good when I first got it.

I've been to the range with it about 7 or 8 times including 2 benchrest competitions. Have put well over 1,000 rounds through it. They sent me a very good one this time! It shoots better than I can and ejects the spent round every time. The bolt is smooth, and the trigger is great. It's really a pleasure to shoot.

Savage had proved to me they can build a good and accurate gun. If only the ordeal hadn't taken just about 3 months I would have no complaints with them at all.

fv22

Master
    Glad it worked out after all the hassle. Is that one made in Canada??
    Yes, the B22 Precision is made in Canada. Not sure if all the B22's are made there since this model does have differences from the rest of the line.

I'm very glad it worked out too, I would have been really pissed off if this one wasn't good either. I've got to say this one is as good or better than I had hoped when I first looked into them.

Members online

Top Bottom