• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CCHGN

Banned
    Hard to mess up stainless. Im looking at the same one as you JEEP . What do you think of it . Im looking at it simply because of the price after the rebate.My price will be $489 vs 700 for the ruger or remington. I think someone said the mainspring housing was polymer?

Bad stainless jobs can flake just as easily as a bad coat job. Most production gunmakers use plastic MSH, even Kimber.

Droshki

Master
    What is the definition of a bad stainless job ?

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    If it's flaking off, it ain't stainless steel.

Droshki

Master
    I've got a few stainless guns and none have clear coat, but I don't know for a fact that such a thing doesn't exist. I also have some plated (starvel) and that, like nickel plating also I assume, can flake.

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    The mainspring housing is indeed polymer, but that's not really a concern for me.

I shot it about 80 or 90 times this past weekend and plan on shooting it a few more times this coming weekend. The only hiccup it had was when I tried to drop the slide using the slide release on the first magazine I loaded. It jammed the round into the feed ramp, causing the bullet to be set back in the case. After that, I slingshot(ted?) the slide on every new magazine and it functioned flawlessly. I do plan on polishing the feed ramp to see if that helps. I was shooting 200gr plated round nose handloads (light to medium pressure, lower than most factory ammo), since I don't have any factory ammo on hand and I didn't have a chance to order any before last weekend. If polishing the feed ramp doesn't work, I'll start playing with seating depth to see if that has an effect.

The trigger is actually pretty decent once you get past all the take-up. It has a slight catch about half-way through the take-up that I plan on fixing and I have a couple ideas of what may cause it. I'm about to start a thread in the Gunsmithing section to voice a few questions, state my plans, and eventually post my results, so keep an eye out for that.

Edit: Here is my new thread on the trigger: http://gulfcoastgunforum.com/showthread.php?15536-1911-Trigger-Job-Questions

I wanted to update this info after this past weekend. I shot another 50 or so rounds and had one FTF at the end of a magazine. The round jammed up against the top of the chamber and didn't seat properly. This was with of of the factory Para mags, but it hadn't happened before. I got a couple CMC Power Mags yesterday and I plan on trying them out soon. If it was the magazine's fault, I can always relegate it to range/malfunction drill duty.

Dan1612

Master
    I wanted to update this info after this past weekend. I shot another 50 or so rounds and had one FTF at the end of a magazine. The round jammed up against the top of the chamber and didn't seat properly. This was with of of the factory Para mags, but it hadn't happened before. I got a couple CMC Power Mags yesterday and I plan on trying them out soon. If it was the magazine's fault, I can always relegate it to range/malfunction drill duty.

Sounds like a weak mag spring with a new recoil spring. Slide moving much faster than the mag can help properly place that round. Chip power mags should fix it. You did polish the feed ramp and throat the barrel already right? If not, it'll help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Top Bottom