• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spongemonkey

Banned
    I basically ditched windows operating systems about 8 years ago and now run Linux distros only on my laptops. Right now I run Manjaro dual booted alongside Linux Mint just in case for a backup system. On my son's laptop I have it multibooted with Windows 7, MxLinux, and Fedora. Any one else delve into Linux, Unix, or even Mac OS? Just curious.

spongemonkey

Banned
    I started off my venture into Linux distros with such as Puppy, Tiny Core, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, PCLinuxOs, SparkyLinux, LXLE, Bodhi, 4MLinux, RoboLinux, and quite a few others trying them all out to see which was suitable for me until I settled on Manjaro. The labtop I have now came with LinuxMint Cinnamin desktop preinstalled of which I did not like so I wiped the drive and installed LinuxMint with the XFCE destop and installed Manjaro with the XFCE desktop along side for a dual boot setup.

Last edited:

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Thinking of dual booting Ubuntu onto my current PC since I'm trying to teach myself C. I have visual studios but I feel like it's cheating. Most of the other software I find is unix based as far as C is concerned. Trying to learn enough to merge into Ladder Logic for PLCs and automation. The next decade or so automation is gonna be where the money's at.

FelixH

Expert
    No. I'm responsible for over 300 computers at my job. The last thing I want to do when I come home is tinker with or fix a computer.
    At home we have a desktop and a laptop with Win 7, and a micro desktop with Win 10.

The latest Windows versions, though they are resource heavy, are a lot more stable than previous versions.

If I need Unix type tools for work functions, I just install an emulator.

bohica793

Master
    I did software development for over 40 years prior to retiring a little over a year ago. My eyes glaze over even thinking about coding again. I spend my time working with my hands now, not computers.

spongemonkey

Banned
    I dont do any coding or computer work as a job. It is more of a hobby type of play toy thing for me.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Win 10 and android, all I use

Whisky

Expert
    Mac OS 10

sportsbud

Shooter
    I dont do any coding or computer work as a job. It is more of a hobby type of play toy thing for me.

Well damn I didn't know you were that savy... I love messing around with coding and what not (there has to be some reason). Over here I wanted to create a NAS solution so I ended up buying a Rock64 board that has USB3.0 and gigabit Ethernet. Have a light version of Ubuntu 16.04 configured for a SAMBA server from my external HDD (Movies here are easy to come by lol have 3tb out of 4tb full of them). I do not have time for linux to be my main computer but enjoy the occasional stint with it. I wish I had more free time as I would be learning how to code... My laptop while I am over here is full of games and other fun stuff have a VR headset (WMR) that I mess with but its just a distraction (it hit 100 today). I love messing around with computers...

spongemonkey

Banned
    Well damn I didn't know you were that savy... I love messing around with coding and what not (there has to be some reason). Over here I wanted to create a NAS solution so I ended up buying a Rock64 board that has USB3.0 and gigabit Ethernet. Have a light version of Ubuntu 16.04 configured for a SAMBA server from my external HDD (Movies here are easy to come by lol have 3tb out of 4tb full of them). I do not have time for linux to be my main computer but enjoy the occasional stint with it. I wish I had more free time as I would be learning how to code... My laptop while I am over here is full of games and other fun stuff have a VR headset (WMR) that I mess with but its just a distraction (it hit 100 today). I love messing around with computers...
    I am not that computer or tech savy. My wife says I am more like "sassy" instead. :sad:

spongemonkey

Banned

Is that board similar to a rasberry pi or arduno (spelling) board?

kendive

Master
    Win 10 and android, all I use

Same here... I do way too much hacking and rooting to be messing with apple crap. The only apple crap I have owned was given to me from work and then I would sell them...

It's like the new Mavic Pro Plat (drone) I bought. Can't do much to it having apple crap.

sportsbud

Shooter
    Is that board similar to a rasberry pi or arduno (spelling) board?

Similar to a Rasberry PI (Ardrinos have nothing on it) it has the same footprint as a Rasberry PI and can use many of the enclosures for it. The main difference is that it has 4GB of ram and a far more powerful CPU. It also has native gigabit Ethernet and USB 3.0 which is why I chose it. For a NAS solution it makes it half the cost of pre-built NAS enclosures with just about the same performance. It also works better with emulators I do believe PS1(maybe PS2) and older run really good on it.

Whisky

Expert
    Same here... I do way too much hacking and rooting to be messing with apple crap. The only apple crap I have owned was given to me from work and then I would sell them...

It's like the new Mavic Pro Plat (drone) I bought. Can't do much to it having apple crap.

Yeah...... because you can't hack or root anything apple. My Mavic pro is also hacked using Apple, pretty simple stuff!

Tradewind

Shooter
    Not a computer guy, most of these posts look like a foreign language to me. I use Windows 7 on my laptop and Android on an old Samsung G4 phone.

spongemonkey

Banned
    Not a computer guy, most of these posts look like a foreign language to me. I use Windows 7 on my laptop and Android on an old Samsung G4 phone.

Android is unix/linux based. You can not go wrong with it.

Top Bottom