• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruiser

Expert
    Well, I will be headed to FE Warren AFB in Cheyenne Wyoming here in the next month or so. Ive been stationed at Eglin for over 12 years now, so I had a good haul here. Looking forward to all the fantastic hunting out there for sure. Gonna be an interesting transition from this 70 degree climate now to getting there in early winter where its already in the 30s with snow. Hopefully I can find ammo better out there too, who knows. Im lucky that WY and FL have reciprocal agreements concerning CCPs still b/c I just got my FL CCP this month.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Good luck and keep logged in to fill us in on your new adventures! OH and keep up those muslim/American relations!! I would bet you find fewer lefty's there than you do here.

Welldoya

Master
    You've been at Eglin 12 years ?
    Things must have changed since I was a kid and Dad was in the USAF. We stayed in Joplin, Missouri almost 4 years. Everyplace else was 2 years.
    Dad was stationed in Cheyenne in the early 50s.
    Best of luck. Let us know about your hunting adventures out there.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Remember to plug your car in at night!
    And we do want to hear about your hunting adventures.
    Thanks for your service!

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    The last time I passed through Cheyenne the motels still had receptacles at every parking space. I spent 3.5 years at Malmstrom AFB. It's even colder than Cheyenne.

histGraphNormals (1).jpg

Attachments

• histGraphNormals (1).jpg
      histGraphNormals (1).jpg
      19.9 KB · Views: 216

Snow Bird

Master
    Bruiser, you know that parts of Wyoming are miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles don't you? It's also hard to hit a Mule Deer runing when they go up in the air as high as they bound forward don't you. Be some target practice on those peskie dogs out on the flat land tho. You will really learn the meaning of windage . Good luck out there and keep your cold weather gear close at hand. Had chil factors at -95 in SD more than once so a parka is your friend. Again GOOD LUCK and keep in touch.

Bruiser

Expert
    Yeah it's gonna be cold fo sho. Yeah I gotta look at getting a winterization system installed on my Dodge 3500 soon.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Well, I will be headed to FE Warren AFB in Cheyenne Wyoming here in the next month or so. Ive been stationed at Eglin for over 12 years now, so I had a good haul here. Looking forward to all the fantastic hunting out there for sure. Gonna be an interesting transition from this 70 degree climate now to getting there in early winter where its already in the 30s with snow. Hopefully I can find ammo better out there too, who knows. Im lucky that WY and FL have reciprocal agreements concerning CCPs still b/c I just got my FL CCP this month.

Be good! Good luck up there. I just did the opposite, moved from upstate NY to here! Getting used to the humidity has been fun! Good luck in your new ventures!

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    If you are driving a diesel, then go ahead and buy a case of fuel filters. I had a Ford dually company truck strand me for 3 days when it went to 25 below zero. The paraffin in the fuel solidifies and the only way to get it flowing again is to put the truck inside a warm building for a day.

Use this or equivalent religiously in the winter.
    http://www.powerservice.com/dfs/

Elko temp.jpg

Attachments

• Elko temp.jpg
      Elko temp.jpg
      32.5 KB · Views: 201
    Last edited:

Bruiser

Expert
    I dont mind the cold so much. I prefer the cold over heat anyday actually. Now my wife will beg to differ that opinion, lol. At least when its cold, you can usually put on enough clothing to get warm but when its sweltering hot outside, you can only legally take off so many clothes and you will still be hot. Its alot dryer/arid out there too. I will NOT miss the humidity at all. Im wondering if we are going to experience altitude sickness when we first arrive there. Ive read its common for people thats lived at sea level to get this b/c its like 6200 ft above sea level there I believe. I dunno, I sure hope not. As far as hunting goes, I have to be there for 90 days before I am considered a military resident.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Im lucky that WY and FL have reciprocal agreements concerning CCPs still b/c I just got my FL CCP this month.

Good luck up there. Just a tidbit that you might want to look into. I ran into this when I moved from FL up to SC. FL and SC have reciprocal agreements. But SC only recognized the FL license if you were a FL resident. And the momement I moved to SC, SC would no longer recognize my FL license. Not saying that WY is that way. But just make sure that WY recognizes the FL license even though you are no longer a FL resident.

Being military though, you have the option to keep your FL residency. So that may not matter. Just something to look out for in all these stupid laws.

bobinbusan

Master
    If your running a diesel up there, better get that block heater installed fast and keep it plugged in when the temp. drops, also they run a blended diesel fuel up there and if gets super cold better run # 1, lived up there 18 years in Green River Wyoming and only had a few diesel fuel gelling issues which where a PIA big time. Keep it plugged in :plane: :help: :wave:

bac3996

Marksman
    If you running a diesel engine you definitely want to look into a block heater. One that heats and circulates the coolant water is better then some of the block heaters that just heat the oil.

Also buy a case of Diesel Fuel Anti-Gel with Conditioner and add some to your fuel each time you fill up. It will save you from having to change fuel filters & heating the fuel lines.

The Diesel Fuel Anti-Gel with Conditioner also takes all the moisture out of the fuel system.

Good luck and enjoy the wonderful hunting & fishing out that way.

HughJoergan

Wiener Connoisseur
    Good luck up there. Just a tidbit that you might want to look into. I ran into this when I moved from FL up to SC. FL and SC have reciprocal agreements. But SC only recognized the FL license if you were a FL resident. And the momement I moved to SC, SC would no longer recognize my FL license. Not saying that WY is that way. But just make sure that WY recognizes the FL license even though you are no longer a FL resident.

Being military though, you have the option to keep your FL residency. So that may not matter. Just something to look out for in all these stupid laws.

Not sure if they have a state income tax, but something to keep in mind in addition to this.

Make sure you check in down here every now and then Bruiser. And some pics too!!! Pretty country.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Be good! Good luck up there. I just did the opposite, moved from upstate NY to here! Getting used to the humidity has been fun! Good luck in your new ventures!

Where at in Upstate. Fort Drum? You from that area as well?

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Yeah I was at fort drum for 3 years and a deployment. Loved the area and weather. Just hated the gun laws. They enacted the safe act right before I got down here.

rockb

Expert

According to http://handgunlaw.us you should be good to go.

Top Bottom