• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hipower

Marksman
    WillWork said "+ where do you get the idea that military surplus sales COST the taxpayer?"

What I meant was that the destruction of the ammo mentioned in the first line of the article would have to be done at some expense (ours), not that milsurp sales cost taxpayers. The government sold the ammo cans to dealers, so it shouldn't be too hard to sell some of the ammo they can't track if it's labeled.

Govt: Spend tax dollars to buy the ammo, transport the ammo, store the ammo, use some of the ammo, lose track of the ammo so they don't know its age, etc., then spend money to destroy the ammo, so they can spend more tax dollars to buy new ammo and start the process all over again.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    WillWork said "+ where do you get the idea that military surplus sales COST the taxpayer?"

What I meant was that the destruction of the ammo mentioned in the first line of the article would have to be done at some expense (ours), not that milsurp sales cost taxpayers. The government sold the ammo cans to dealers, so it shouldn't be too hard to sell some of the ammo they can't track if it's labeled.

Govt: Spend tax dollars to buy the ammo, transport the ammo, store the ammo, use some of the ammo, lose track of the ammo so they don't know its age, etc., then spend money to destroy the ammo, so they can spend more tax dollars to buy new ammo and start the process all over again.
    Gotcha....I understand what you were getting at.
    Not to rebuff....but the date of MFG is stamped onto the head of most ammo.
    As far as I know - the military does not reload......so problem of age is eliminated! .....pretty sure they started the whole headstamp thing! :)

Just a neat case-in -point:
    I picked up a couple of .50's at a local military surplus dealer a while back.....dont have a .50 ....just didnt have any rounds that size....and they looked lonely.
    head stamps read "tw 4" Which I'm told mean they were produced in 1940.
    The dealer said another gentleman had been buying them and firing them in his .50 .....with great success!
    This stuff doesnt really go bad unless severely mis-treated. :)

One more point for Mil-Surplus:
    WW2 airplanes!
    Many were auctioned off to the public.....and if they had not been.....that heritage would be gone forever.....as paperclips!

Last edited:

Idoono

Master
    Mr Sean Brown,

That's enough. I know your name and where you work. If you continue to harass and cyber-stalk me, you might expect a visit from your local police department.

WOW Not sure what to make of this. How did we go from a discussion between two sides of an issue to the above?

Idoono

Gene

Expert
    :popcorn:::fencing::argue:drama::popcorn:

Top Bottom