• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    You may know but Denmark military issues the Glock 20 10mm to troops stationed in Greenland for protection from Polar Bears. I would say that is pretty good evidence that 15 rounds of 10mm work well for protection from Huge bears. I doubt the 10mm loads that the Denmark military uses are as powerful a 10mm load as what a US citizen has access to either.
    What is the acceptable rate of Military casualties in an engagement as computed by the Denmark Bean Counters? Bye the way, don't they bother to arm those troops with Battle Rifles in Denmark. You don't want to ask about my photos of failed Denmark Troops while equipped with Blue Helmets on critters 10X smaller than Polar Bears?????? PS: Uncle Sam issued me a 12 Gauge in Thule. I think that's in Greenland?

Narrow Gap

Marksman
    What is the acceptable rate of Military casualties in an engagement as computed by the Denmark Bean Counters? Bye the way, don't they bother to arm those troops with Battle Rifles in Denmark. You don't want to ask about my photos of failed Denmark Troops while equipped with Blue Helmets on critters 10X smaller than Polar Bears?????? PS: Uncle Sam issued me a 12 Gauge in Thule. I think that's in Greenland?
    Sirius Dog Sled Patrol of Denmark uses the Glock 20 10mm as a side arm and carries a 30-06 Springfield as a rifle. These guys are sometimes away from other human contact up to 4 months at a time. Just evidence in the trust for a Glock in 10mm with 15 rounds will get the job done against a Polar Bear- One of deadliest predators known to man on land.

M118LR

Master
    Sirius Dog Sled Patrol of Denmark uses the Glock 20 10mm as a side arm and carries a 30-06 Springfield as a rifle. These guys are sometimes away from other human contact up to 4 months at a time. Just evidence in the trust for a Glock in 10mm with 15 rounds will get the job done against a Polar Bear- One of deadliest predators known to man on land.
    Yup, last one I harvested was with a 300 Win Mag Ruger Guide Gun and Nosler Partition Ammo inside of 300 yards. Somehow I didn't even consider a Glock 20 as a firearm of choice? But then, I'm still here to pen this tale. Just how many Polar or Coastal Browns have you harvested with a Glock 20?????

Narrow Gap

Marksman
    Yup, last one I harvested was with a 300 Win Mag Ruger Guide Gun and Nosler Partition Ammo inside of 300 yards. Somehow I didn't even consider a Glock 20 as a firearm of choice? But then, I'm still here to pen this tale. Just how many Polar or Coastal Browns have you harvested with a Glock 20?????
    We are talking about short range handgun protection from large bears here and not hunting large bears. By the way I am not commenting on this thread to get in a pissing contest with You. I am not much into drama so have a good night.

Welldoya

Master
    I’ve been doing a lot of reading and watching videos about the 10mm.
    I watched a video the other day entitled “10mm vs 44 magnum”.
    The guy was able to get off 6 shots in 3 seconds with a Glock 20 vs 3 shots with a S&W 44.
    In another video the 10mm actually penetrated further in ballistic gel than the 44.

M118LR

Master
    We are talking about short range handgun protection from large bears here and not hunting large bears. By the way I am not commenting on this thread to get in a pissing contest with You. I am not much into drama so have a good night.
    Kind Sir, this isn't about drama. But what makes you so determined to dare to send another member on an actual journey with theoretical equipment to defend his/ her life since you have never had such an experience? You began this by telling everyone what Military Members in Denmark are armed with Glock Sidearms. You didn't mention their primary weapon. I find your point of contention lacking. So run off in a huff if you so desire, you initiated this. YMMV. But you best have the wind at your back when using pepper spray, but then the bear would have your scent in his nose when it charged you. So I guess it new what it was up against when it got aggressive? 15 rounds in the mag directly equate to how much runway is behind you, food for thought.??????? Just understand that if you are using a sidearm your under gunned! A smaller caliber at lower velocity with less sectional density isn't going to improve you survival chances. JMHO. So do the math and then carry the .44 Mag. You won't ever get off more than six rounds if your actually charged by a Kodiak. YMMV. JMHO.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I’ve been doing a lot of reading and watching videos about the 10mm.
    I watched a video the other day entitled “10mm vs 44 magnum”.
    The guy was able to get off 6 shots in 3 seconds with a Glock 20 vs 3 shots with a S&W 44.
    In another video the 10mm actually penetrated further in ballistic gel than the 44.
    I think 44 would work too, but rather have more pews. If we're me I'd go with the G20 or G40 10mm. Also would be good to have an optic or external charging handle like this. Easyier to focus on the general area of the sight and work the slide when crapping your pants. YMMV
    ** slide pull made by Recover Tactical. 0 mods to slide.
    20230201_154409.jpg
    20230123_161741.jpg

Last edited:

Fear21

Master
    Kind Sir, this isn't about drama. But what makes you so determined to dare to send another member on an actual journey with theoretical equipment to defend his/ her life since you have never had such an experience? You began this by telling everyone what Military Members in Denmark are armed with Glock Sidearms. You didn't mention their primary weapon. I find your point of contention lacking. So run off in a huff if you so desire, you initiated this. YMMV. But you best have the wind at your back when using pepper spray, but then the bear would have your scent in his nose when it charged you. So I guess it new what it was up against when it got aggressive? 15 rounds in the mag directly equate to how much runway is behind you, food for thought.??????? Just understand that if you are using a sidearm your under gunned! A smaller caliber at lower velocity with less sectional density isn't going to improve you survival chances. JMHO. So do the math and then carry the .44 Mag. You won't ever get off more than six rounds if your actually charged by a Kodiak. YMMV. JMHO.

I'd rather have 16 10mm on tap than 5 or 6 of whatever magnum caliber - beyond that, I'd rather have 12 gauge slugs or something like .45-70 or one of the Win Mags. If we're talking strictly handguns, 10mm will do the job with proper bullets. You'll also have more of a chance to land followups than if you're packing a monster handgun. Big bore wheel guns are not easy to shoot well under ideal circumstances, much less when you've got a Brown charging at you.

If the 10 is good enough to drop Polars, that's good enough for me.

Welldoya

Master
    The good news is one of the guys I’m going with has gone every year for the past 15 years. He said he’s seen a couple of bears on the other side of the river and one near a friend that the friend didn’t notice. He fired a shot into the ground near it and it took off.

skippyt

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    I'm still thinking an AR pistol in 5.56 with a 30 rnd mag should be included in this thought process, very easy to carry and pull into battery should the need arise.

M118LR

Master
    Since the bottom line is a successful fishing trip, fishing tackle is probably more relevant than what defensive firearm you carry or don't carry. If you decide to carry a 10mm or .44 Mag, it's a last ditch proposal and hopefully won't be needed. If your relatively sure your going to need protection, than a 12 gauge with slugs is a much more effective bear defense firearm. So since your going fishing, not hunting bear, Best of luck and choose a better than average fillet knife. I feel that the knife will be of more use than a firearm. JMHO. At least I hope so. LOL Enjoy the trip, can't wait to hear the Sea Stories upon your return.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Since the bottom line is a successful fishing trip, fishing tackle is probably more relevant than what defensive firearm you carry or don't carry. If you decide to carry a 10mm or .44 Mag, it's a last ditch proposal and hopefully won't be needed. If your relatively sure your going to need protection, than a 12 gauge with slugs is a much more effective bear defense firearm. So since your going fishing, not hunting bear, Best of luck and choose a better than average fillet knife. I feel that the knife will be of more use than a firearm. JMHO. At least I hope so. LOL Enjoy the trip, can't wait to hear the Sea Stories upon your return.
    How does the saying go?

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

Top Bottom