• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomslick

Shooter
    This idea keeps running through my mind and the more I think about it, the more I like it.

Why not require convicted felons to pay an extra $10 to have a mark (maybe a red star) on their driver's license or state ID card? That way the gun grabbers lose their "private sales loophole" rallying point without putting any more burden on legitimate gun owners or costing the taxpayers a penny (it would pay for any effort on the state's part).

It wouldn't be any more burdensome on convicts than requiring U.S. citizens to prove themselves to get that gold star on our licenses ( I had to pay for mine the last time I renewed my driver's license).It also wouldn't violate their right to privacy as criminal convictions are part of the public record already.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Seanpcola

Sounds like a perfect idea......therefore the powers that be won't allow it. I'm sure the ACLU would find a reason for it to be objectionable.

Worth a shot though.

Tomslick

Shooter
    Just seems like a really simple, effective solution. That's probably why it'll never pan out!!

Seanpcola

I agree, you came up with an excellent plan. I don't mean to be a buzz kill. It's just that everything is so effed up that simple, elegant solutions never float to the top. Add to it you know "they" would never do anything to help the pro 2 a cause. This present administration and most likely all the future ones are for the other team.

It sounds like awesome idea sr.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Well there is that or a TAT across their forehead FELON, they get to pick.

Snow Bird

Master
    Sounds like a good idea to me to.

Seanpcola

I'm thinking through the angles here. How hard is a DL to forge well enough to pass rudimentary inspection. Would a felon go through the hassle to buy a firearm face to face or would this just keep "honest" felons honest?

Tomslick

Shooter
    Keeping them honest is definitely above my pay grade. I like the reassurance of knowing at a glance my conscience is clear about who I'm selling to. Once it's enacted, it would be another charge for those who don't follow the rules. I think its a win-win!

Tomslick

Shooter
    Anybody know how we can get this in front of the politicos in Tallahassee?

MarkS

Master
    This is to good of an idea to ever get pass the politicians. Common sense ideas are doomed from the lack of politicians common sense.

Tomslick

Shooter
    I agree. I don't think career politicians do anything unless there's something in it for them but to know the eight thing to do without acting on it makes us just as bad! This is an idea I think we can shame them into.

Tomslick

Shooter
    I agree. I don't think career politicians do anything unless there's something in it for them but to know the eight thing to do without acting on it makes us just as bad! This is an idea I think we can shame them into.
    Supposed to be RIGHT thing, not eight thing

bamachem

Shooter
    How do you make them get the red star or other mark on their license? Do you tell them they have to do it and impose a penalty if they don't? Do you run a background check for every license renewal?

If you want to be covered as an individual, there's already another way to do it - just require a CCW permit to be presented at the time of sale. If they have a CCW permit, then you know they have already passed a background check...

Tomslick

Shooter
    That covers the seller but we know the gun grabbers will keep coming. I like the idea of shifting responsibility to the crooks.

fv22

Master
    Anybody know how we can get this in front of the politicos in Tallahassee?

Contact Florida State Senate President Don Gaetz gaetz.don.web@flsenate.gov or through his websitehttp://www.flsenate.gov/Senators/s1 and his son Representative Matt Gaetz. Don't have his email handy but his website with all contact info is http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/sections/representatives/details.aspx?MemberId=4478 They would be the 2 best guys to start with. I will contact them both about this idea, hope they get hundreds of emails about it.

bamachem

Shooter
    Oh, I do too. Unfortunately, if you make it the license clerk's responsibility, you add time to each renewal, which makes the lines longer. If you make it the felon's responsibility to notify the license clerk, then you run the risk of them not complying with the law (something they've already proven they will do), and you have the potential for felons to circumvent the very thing you want to prevent, which is them getting around a system of identification. If you put the responsibility on the felon, then you have to have a system of checks to ensure they are doing it. Checking anything for compliance costs money and time. I'm just saying that because of the budgetary impact, a $10 fee isn't going to cut it.

Top Bottom