• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I have a survivor single shot. Shoots .308 great but once I tried 7.62x51 in it. Cases always got stuck and had to use cleaning rod to remove. I stopped shooting them in it, ( 3 shots, maybe) but was wondering why it would do this?? Ammo was British surplus. I never tried any other x51 ammo after that.
    20181127_171304.jpg

Captain Dave

Shooter
    Sometimes military brass is heavier (thicker) than civilian brass which reduces the available volume for propellent inside and can create higher pressures in certain chambers. It sounds like those rounds had higher pressure, which could be caused by several variables. Bottom line: If the cases stick, avoid the ammo!

BluesBrother

Master
    Sometimes military brass is heavier (thicker) than civilian brass which reduces the available volume for propellent inside and can create higher pressures in certain chambers. It sounds like those rounds had higher pressure, which could be caused by several variables. Bottom line: If the cases stick, avoid the ammo!
    I was wondering how that happened. Less available volume, equal less propellant, equal less explosion, equal more pressure? My recommendation; don't shoot foreign military surplus ammo in commercial USA chambers and certainly don't shoot it 3 times. E=mc squared. Another rule I follow don't shoot an armature's reloads in a gun you want to keep. Just sayin'

Last edited:

BluesBrother

Master
    Enfield – Ishapore manufactured 2A1 bolt action rifle, chambered in .308 Win. (7.62×51 NATO). This is not a conversion to the NATO cartridge, it was originally chambered for the NATO round. Manufactured in 1966 by R.F.I. (Rifle Factory Ishapore) in India. The factory is know for its high quality steel and these are stronger rifles that the Enfields built for the 303 Britt round.

M118LR

Master
    .308 Win and 7.62 x 51 NATO have different chamber sizes. Notice the go-no go difference. US made NATO 7.62 is crafted to .308 Win Specs. Not all NATO ammo will be crafted as such. .308 Win Go 1.630 NO-GO 1.634. 7.62 x 51 NATO. GO 1.635. NO-GO 1.6405. So NATO ammo that measures OAL of 1.635 is a GO in a 7.62 x 51 Military Chamber, but it is a NO-GO in a civilian cut .308 Win chamber. Stick with US Mil-surp or measure OAL.

Last edited:

Captain Dave

Shooter
    I was wondering how that happened. Less available volume, equal less propellant, equal less explosion, equal more pressure? My recommendation; don't shoot foreign military surplus ammo in commercial USA chambers and certainly don't shoot it 3 times. E=mc squared. Another rule I follow don't shoot an armature's reloads in a gun you want to keep. Just sayin'
    The pressure increase comes when the same amount of propellant used in lighter brass is used in heavier brass. As a safety conscious reloader I always weigh my brass. Sometimes I even weigh loaded rounds just to make sure I didn't make a booboo.

RackinRay

Master
    Had the same issue with the Survivor in .308. A Savage 110 in .308 handled both. I believe it is the extractor in the Survivor that was the issue, but never tried to chase it down. Ended up getting out of .308 and x51 as ammo prices were increasing.
    EDIT: thinking about extraction, I decided to check case dimensions. There is a slight difference in case dimensions despite x51 being "based" om 308.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom