• ...and so much more!
  • TK5o

Master
    Item
    Thanks

Contact Info

Price

Item Description
    I know this is the wrong section feel free to move it. But I wanted to say thank you to those who pointed out that use of vhf on land is illegal as I certainly learned something there. Just wanted yall to see my thank you.

Try'n Hard

Expert
    Kinda screwy to lock the guys thread. I been looking for a good set of radios to use on the river between my cabin and wherever I end up on the boat. Maybe up to 10 miles but with the bends in the river I don't wanna be a law breaker when the signal passes over land! This would be in central alabama. Would river use be "again the law"?

seabass

Shooter
    That's the reason there is recreational channels 68,69,70 etc they are still for sale if interested call 850-393-2173 or text

shadeogray

Master
    You law breaker you LOL

rockb

Expert
    Kinda screwy to lock the guys thread. I been looking for a good set of radios to use on the river between my cabin and wherever I end up on the boat. Maybe up to 10 miles but with the bends in the river I don't wanna be a law breaker when the signal passes over land! This would be in central alabama. Would river use be "again the law"?

I am pretty sure that as long as you are on a boat and the other person is on a boat you are good to go.

5lima30ret

Master
    Most all harbormasters are on dry land and they use marine radio's all the time coordinating with boats getting docked and moored. Also when you call the bridge tender on a marine radio they are not on a boat. So I would say that it is probably OK as long as it is "marine" radio traffic even talking to another land based unit. Just my .02 worth!

rockb

Expert
    Most all harbormasters are on dry land and they use marine radio's all the time coordinating with boats getting docked and moored. Also when you call the bridge tender on a marine radio they are not on a boat. So I would say that it is probably OK as long as it is "marine" radio traffic even talking to another land based unit. Just my .02 worth!

From http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/in...ons#Using Hand-Held Marine VHF Radios on Land

Using Hand-Held Marine VHF Radios on Land
    You must have a special license, called a marine utility station license, to operate a hand-held marine radio from land -- a ship station license IS NOT sufficient. You may apply for this license by filing FCC Forms 159 and 605 with the FCC. To be eligible for a marine utility station license, you must generally provide some sort of service to ships or have control over a bridge or waterway. Additionally, you must show a need to communicate using hand-held portable equipment from both a ship and from coast locations. Each unit must be capable of operation while being hand-carried by an individual. The station operates under the rules applicable to ship stations when the unit is aboard a ship, and under the rules applicable to private coast stations when the unit is on land.

5lima30ret

Master
    From http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/in...ons#Using Hand-Held Marine VHF Radios on Land

Using Hand-Held Marine VHF Radios on Land
    You must have a special license, called a marine utility station license, to operate a hand-held marine radio from land -- a ship station license IS NOT sufficient. You may apply for this license by filing FCC Forms 159 and 605 with the FCC. To be eligible for a marine utility station license, you must generally provide some sort of service to ships or have control over a bridge or waterway. Additionally, you must show a need to communicate using hand-held portable equipment from both a ship and from coast locations. Each unit must be capable of operation while being hand-carried by an individual. The station operates under the rules applicable to ship stations when the unit is aboard a ship, and under the rules applicable to private coast stations when the unit is on land.

Thanks, for the info!

Welldoya

Master
    Actually I think you are supposed to have some kind of license to use the more powerful hand held radios (GMRS ?) that most hunters use. Who has one ? Anybody ever know anybody that got busted for not having one ?

Top Bottom