• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beeritself

Shooter
    Good evening,
    I believe I am posting in the right spot. I am in search of a gunsmith to help me out with a 7x57mm rifle. This rifle was my grandfather's. He had it sporterized in the 60s and was unhappy with the results. His exact words were "someone should take the gunsmith's balls". My grandfather has since passed and I'd like to get this rifle redone. I am not sure exactly what I am looking for, but would like to talk it out or get some ideas. Pictures of its current state is below. All help/ideas are appreciated. Thanks

image-1896091322.jpg

image-3057935760.jpg

Attachments

• image-1896091322.jpg
      image-1896091322.jpg
      43.4 KB · Views: 234
    • image-3057935760.jpg
      image-3057935760.jpg
      37.5 KB · Views: 228

Idoono

Master
    Your location would help. Unless of course you are willing to travel anywhere in the southeast.

Idoono

oneshot

Master
    A couple of question's first, what is it you don't like about it or what is wrong, and what is it you want to do. this would help a lot to know. and how more do you want to spend on it. Just my 5 cents jj

beeritself

Shooter
    A couple of question's first, what is it you don't like about it or what is wrong, and what is it you want to do. this would help a lot to know. and how more do you want to spend on it. Just my 5 cents jj

As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with it. I'd like to replace the stock with something a bit more modern (not talking black polymer). I'd like a complete looking stock, which may require a new barrel since this one was chopped off. I don't like that it looks like it you can buy it in the toy store and shoot a cork out of it. If possible I'd like to keep it under $500.

oneshot

Master
    Look up Boyd's stocks, and If you change barrel, you would want to go to a 308, I'm changing one out for some one now, , but this will probably be more then 500.00 when you get through, with refinishing , you can buy a nice rifle already to go and be worth more. just my 5 cents jj

beeritself

Shooter
    Look up Boyd's stocks, and If you change barrel, you would want to go to a 308, I'm changing one out for some one now, , but this will probably be more then 500.00 when you get through, with refinishing , you can buy a nice rifle already to go and be worth more. just my 5 cents jj
    I hear ya. I definitely could get into a new gun for cheaper. This one has sentimental value though. I'd like to turn this back into something that would "wow" my grandfather. Unfortunately, it's going to be a bit pricey.

oneshot

Master
    Just looked up a few things, boyds classic stock walnut, and a stand contour large ring Mas. 308 barrel, short camb. about 250. barrel on sale, this does not include barrel inst. and fit to stock. are refinishing the barrel. no sights just my 5 cents jj

SAWMAN

Master
    If you are wanting something that would "wow your grandfather" the very best you could do IMO is return it to as close as it was before the gunsmith got his hands on it ?? Any pics of the weapon before he had if buggered up ??

Try to get the work done without a re-chamber. The 7X57 is a super efficient round that is adequate for any animal in the lower 48. It has also been credited with killing countless elephants in Africa.

Reminder --> a qualified gunsmith can accomplish some great stuff. However they need a canvas before they start painting. Also --> info in .. info out. You have to supply the prospective gunsmith with the right info. This is possibly what your grandfather did not do. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

beeritself

Shooter
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I unfortunately don't have any "before" pics. Also, I can assume that my grandfather went through a guy who knew a guy that knew a gunsmith and didn't actually speak to the gunsmith himself.

SAWMAN

Master
    When you have some extensive stuff done by a qualified gunsmith there has to be a dialog between you two. A simply drop it off,then pick it up is a real no-no. What is to be done and how the smith will do it needs to be discussed. The quality of materials used and the turn around time also. For the great smiths to do extensive work on a gun,they will usually not give you a "hard" turn around time. Only a approximate.

Dealing with a true gunsmith is quite a process. If you do not really know what you want,some do not even want to talk to you. Some will want to do the work as they would want the weapon done. Some will want to "upgrade" the parts that are needed/wanted. Most are honest,hard working "technicians". Most are extremely professional. Most are accomplished machinists. Most are not fun people to be around. --- SAWMAN

Latest posts

Top Bottom