• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Choppersled

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Well, the Mrs. and I took a few days off to go to a friends wedding out of town this past weekend. We drove from the gulf coast to north Alabama and snuck off into southern Tennessee to see the mountains. It was an awesome break from the day to day grind. I did stop into a walmart in south Tennessee to make a purchase and cruised by the ammo counter. They had everything in stock except .22lr.

We decided to drive my old (2002) Crown Vic beater to keep the miles off of the nice vehicles and also to see how the highway mpg would be on the Vic. All I have to say is DAMN! I got 18-19mpg on the interstate! My Z71 extended cab got that mileage on the hwy! I did average about 85mph but I still thought it would do a tad better. Is this normal? These cars are rated for 24-26mpg hwy depending on where you look, I'm assuming the speed was the killer. Any opinions?

dirtyharry

Marksman
    Speed was definitely the factor. You have to figure if the money saved by going slower is worth spending another hour on the road.

Seanpcola

My dad has a 2005 Grand Marquis and has averaged 27 MPG on his drives to Elizabethton, TN (all interstate). We have a sort-of company car, a 1999 Cadillac ElDorado in immaculate condition that I drive to Auburn University every 3 months. It's 210 miles from my driveway to the building on campus that I visit. Just for giggles I fill up when I leave home and top off when I get off the I-85 ramp in Auburn. It always takes 7 gallons. That's 30 MPG.

Bruiser

Expert
    Averaged 85mph? Good lord, you musta been hitting speeds of 100mph at times if you averaged 85......lol

Choppersled

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Averaged 85mph? Good lord, you musta been hitting speeds of 100mph at times if you averaged 85......lol

I did indeed do that. I hate that drive between south baldwin and Huntsville.

LowRiderRed

Master
    We had on '02 Grand Marquis until 2010, drove Milton to Tallassee, AL a jillion times in the 75-80 mph range and always got around 25 mpg. I kinda miss that car.

Seanpcola

We had on '02 Grand Marquis until 2010, drove Milton to Tallassee, AL a jillion times in the 75-80 mph range and always got around 25 mpg. I kinda miss that car.

Yeah, dad's only has about 30K on it and it's garage kept. Fine car but I'm a truck guy. I've never been into land barges and seldom see a passenger car that turns me on but I would love to have a new Cadillac CTS two door in black. I have absolutely no use for a vehicle like that but that car looks kinda hot. Also, I want a jeep, as tall and obnoxious looking as possible. I want it black, dirty as hell, pro 2A stickers on the glass along with Oathkeeper logo and something really non PC involving muslims. That vehicle I would keep gassed up and ready to attend pro-Obama rallies.

Choppersled

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Yeah, dad's only has about 30K on it and it's garage kept. Fine car but I'm a truck guy. I've never been into land barges and seldom see a passenger car that turns me on but I would love to have a new Cadillac CTS two door in black. I have absolutely no use for a vehicle like that but that car looks kinda hot. Also, I want a jeep, as tall and obnoxious looking as possible. I want it black, dirty as hell, pro 2A stickers on the glass along with Oathkeeper logo and something really non PC involving muslims. That vehicle I would keep gassed up and ready to attend pro-Obama rallies.

I love land barges. I would rather have 2 tons of ugly steel than awesome fuel mileage! My brother in law has a CTS-V and I love that car! Feel ya on the Jeep...

Choppersled

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter

Seanpcola

I'm OK as long as I have my satellite radio cranking and am alone. If the wife is with me I have to listen to crap music or (and this is a REAL pet peeve of mine) listening to one side of a 3 hour cell phone conversation. That's when I start clawing for the door handle ........ at 80 MPH.

Champ62

Master
    I'm OK as long as I have my satellite radio cranking and am alone. If the wife is with me I have to listen to crap music or (and this is a REAL pet peeve of mine) listening to one side of a 3 hour cell phone conversation. That's when I start clawing for the door handle ........ at 80 MPH.

I feel your pain with the cell phone............drives me nuts too

Seanpcola

I've had a cell phone for 17 years and I'm still amazed at the lack of etiquette from others. Very first date with my wife we were sitting in a restaurant when her's went off. She reached for it, handled the call and when we got in the car to leave I told her that either we're together when we're together or she can chat on the phone ....... alone. I figured she would get pissed off but she agreed that it's rude and the phones stay in the car when we go in an eating place ever since. If either of us was a CEO of a Fortune 500 company I could understand constant communication but there ain't NOTHING that important going on in our lives unless it's a medical emergency. Even when we're watching TV at home. If my phone goes off, I look at the ID and if I want or need to talk then I go outside and I expect the same. DO NOT talk in a loud voice on the phone when I'm watching the Walking Dead or Duck Dynasty. LOL

Snow Bird

Master
    100 miles an hour used to get me 8 mpg.in 68 Road Runner. Remember when you missed a phone call you were out of the house.?

madeSICC88

Master
    I hate when people talk have phone conversations in public places too, just a couple days ago I had a small break in work and went to academy to buy some ammo, while I was in the checkout line I got a call from the hyundai dealer I had been waiting for, answered and they confirmed the part i needed that was backordered was finally in so they transferred me to schedule an appointment, so I did all that on the phone while I was checking out and paying, drove me nuts that I was doing it but, I waited by the counter until I was done and looked at the cashier and said I was sorry I was blabbing on the phone, but it was a call I had been waiting for and didn't want to miss it. She smiled and said thank you. Haha

Seanpcola

100 miles an hour used to get me 8 mpg.in 68 Road Runner. Remember when you missed a phone call you were out of the house.?

Yep! And I also remember not giving a shit about missing calls. Pisses me off that we've become slaves to the things. If I didn't have kids and grandkids to worry about I'd save that $100 a month.

FelixH

Expert
    I never knew a Ford v-8 to get 24 mpg who fabricated those #s

1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0, 5 speed manual with factory 2.73:1 rear differential. I used to get just under 30 mpg with it on the Interstate if I didn't have too much fun.
    Until I swapped the rear gears for some 3.73's... never got near 30mpg again after that.

Top Bottom