Santa Rosa Deputy Attacked With Samurai Sword, Assailant Shot Dead!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kanaloa

Master
    Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. I don't know your background if your were ever LE/MIL?

We were in Afghanistan, pulling some security for a BS meeting in Kabul. I kinda let my guard down and let an afghani too close for comfort. He had approached us from the place we were guarding, so I didn't really think he was a threat. Luckily for me our Duke systems(electronic warfare jamming) on our trucks was working. Once he got outside of the range of the system he turned into a pink mist. Apparently he had a radio controlled IED on him. Another person was in control of the detonation of said IED. Shortly after that we had a short, but intense firefight.

Looking back on this incident, I never let anyone within 50 feet of myself. If they kept coming they usually ended up with an M4 pointed at them with safety off. Mistakes happen, you need to learn from them though. I'm hoping this officer learns, just in case there is a next time.

Doc

I am going to have to look up that DUKE system...we didn't have anything like that when I was a young Marine. Wow. That's a great return on investment!

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Yes it was Kanola. Too bad the Taliban are pretty bright and use more pressure plate and command wire IED's. We started using mine rollers to activate the pressure plate. Well they started placing the explosives about 20feet prior to the pressure plate so when the mine roller hit the pressure plate it would detonate under the vehicle,instead of mine roller. They are crafty.

We also would have EA-6 intruders flying circles around our convoys doing electronic jamming for us. It would kill any radio/cell signal within a very large radius.

Doc

Droshki

Master
    The EA-6B Prowler is retired now, although the same system (AN/ALQ-99) is now carried aboard the EA-18G Growler. The F-35 carries the AN/ASQ-239 Barracuda, which is *ahem*, slightly more capable.

MAXman

Master
    Doc, we had a lot of that in 09. Quite honestly I thought they were a bit genius about it, I remember a conversation with a eod gunney about a string of convoys where he could have sworn they were being hit with remote detonators, they were hitting the third or fourth vehicles and a couple had two hit at the same time. Turned out they had sawn the plates and used enough motorcycle tires so that it took three trucks to actually break the plate for activation(or a 6x6 or seven ton), and has daisy chained two or three devices to the same plate.

Kanola, we didn't use the duke we had another system(predator maybe?), the two major drawbacks we knew about was 1: they rarely worked long enough to last a route and 2: we were told they emitted massive amounts of radiation, and a lot of the gunners claimed the units gave them fairly intense headaches. Luckily for me, most of my travels were in the belly of a heavy lift rotary wing(only way to fly).

As to the original topic, I remember reading an article on high powers and handguns about samurai swords vs pistols. I'll try to get the link, it's a good read, and IMO enforces the idea of always havering your weapon on your body.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Doc, we had a lot of that in 09. Quite honestly I thought they were a bit genius about it, I remember a conversation with a eod gunney about a string of convoys where he could have sworn they were being hit with remote detonators, they were hitting the third or fourth vehicles and a couple had two hit at the same time. Turned out they had sawn the plates and used enough motorcycle tires so that it took three trucks to actually break the plate for activation(or a 6x6 or seven ton), and has daisy chained two or three devices to the same plate.

Kanola, we didn't use the duke we had another system(predator maybe?), the two major drawbacks we knew about was 1: they rarely worked long enough to last a route and 2: we were told they emitted massive amounts of radiation, and a lot of the gunners claimed the units gave them fairly intense headaches. Luckily for me, most of my travels were in the belly of a heavy lift rotary wing(only way to fly).

As to the original topic, I remember reading an article on high powers and handguns about samurai swords vs pistols. I'll try to get the link, it's a good read, and IMO enforces the idea of always havering your weapon on your body.

Headaches were frequently complained of by our gunners too, including myself.

Another story, the other medic here in the army office told me about this time when he and his LT were dismounted from their strikers, they thought they had stepped on a pressure plate but nothing happened. Well when the striker rolled over it, it detonated, the blast sent fragments in the dismounted guys and killed everyone in the striker. Sad day. All beacause the flat bottom strikers were cheaper than the v-hull models. Go figure. They know how to adapt very quickly.

Doc.

poppop

Master
    a sword is a deadly weapon and should be countered with a deadly weapon. tasers do not always stop a hopped up assailant and wouldn't we feel bad if the headlines said. "cop killed while tasering sword wielding drunk". my hat's off to the cop. it wasn't his fault that ass brought a knife (sword) to a gun fight. two in the chest one in the head.

JBryan314

Master
    Ok, I usually don't go back and forth with online stuff but I'm getting the feeling that my post has struck a nerve or something.

First off yes I agree with shoot to kill if your life is about to be taken by a bat, sword, knife, fishing line, etc.

I'm glad the second cop was there to protect the other officer who foolishly approached a person with a brandished sword who had already pointed or what not at other people.

What I guess I'll never understand is why would anyone do such a thing when there are other options, lethal or not, that could of ended the situation without having to take the blade.

My best guess is if the person would not put the sword down then the officer should of just shot him with his duty gun, shot him with a taser, spray pepper spray, or just drive over him with the patrol car, etc. But instead he approached him and got with in striking distance........ and all I can say is that is the absolute worst decision that I could think of, but I been wrong before.

You didn't "strike a nerve". We just disagree with you because you don't understand escalation of force and you also weren't there to see what happened. Rather than criticize the actions of officers who were attacked with a sword, I'll hold my position of "the guy attacked a cop with a sword and now the guy is dead, whoda think it?"

There is no planet on which using a taser on a man engaging you with a sword is appropriate. You miss with that taser and you're getting chopped. Those probes don't hit a good mark and you're getting chopped. That swordsman is high on PCP and you're getting chopped.

Last edited:

JBryan314

Master
    I am going to have to look up that DUKE system...we didn't have anything like that when I was a young Marine. Wow. That's a great return on investment!

We had a medium sized VBIED detonate behind our convoy when I was there. I can only assume it didn't work properly because our DUKE was running. We also had some kind of buried IED blow up the mine roller once but we never came across any that they had rigged up to be separate. Good thing.

Clay

Master
    Tasers are sensationalized and are not nearly as effective as portrayed on TV for subjects with drug-induced behavior or suffering from mental illness. I work every day with WCSO and have seen the videos for Excited Delirium training, scary shit.
    Google it if ya don't know.

I studied and taught martial arts (Ed Parker Kenpo and Ishinryu) for over 10yrs and during that time trained a lot with edged weapons and had the honor to attended a knife seminar by Dan Inasanto (Bruce Lee's #1 student). Personally, you don't need tons of experience to be lethal with a knife. General rule is 21 ft or less you better have your damn gun drawn and ready to fire. If it's holstered, you're very likely gonna get stabbed. My prayers for the injured deputy, hopefully this incident will be used for training to ensure another LEO isn't cut.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GeiB57iMhQA

I actually came across a video by Mr. Inasanto I saw back in the day. It's old, but ya get the idea.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9igSoJHEdUo

Last edited:

Clay

Master
    For you CCW holders who haven't trained or thought of this scenario, get a buddy and pack of cheap white T-shirts along with a sharpie. With an UNLOADED firearm or training weapon, have a friend stand 2 meters away with sharpie, you have t shirt on. Have them surprise attack you (little role play with your weapon being concealed) and see your response and their subsequent damage noted by sharpie marks on your t shirt. After each round move back 3ft and redo. You'll have a new perspective.

MAXman

Master
    I was told once by a martial arts instructor that if a blade is presented, your gonna get cut.

I've already mentally deemed my left hand the sacrificial lamb in such a scenario. We did the sharpie drills and I learned one thing: a whole lot of people fixate on the weapon and overextend during attacks and defense. someone who knows what they are doing, can run through a squad of guys pretty quick as attacker or defender. Unfortunatly, indont know what I'm doing when it comes to knives...

Kanaloa

Master
    I was told once by a martial arts instructor that if a blade is presented, your gonna get cut.

I've already mentally deemed my left hand the sacrificial lamb in such a scenario. We did the sharpie drills and I learned one thing: a whole lot of people fixate on the weapon and overextend during attacks and defense. someone who knows what they are doing, can run through a squad of guys pretty quick as attacker or defender. Unfortunatly, indont know what I'm doing when it comes to knives...

So what I hear you saying is -- "when confronted by a crazed Samaria ....Efficiently proceed with the trouble tap"?

Clay

Master

You're right, you're gonna get cut. So we turn our radius bone out toward BG, and you protect the ulna bone and arteries ( inside forearm) defend against the knife first and then draw. Who gives a shit if you kill the bad guy after he's buried a knife in your heart/lung/liver.
    If ya wanna learn, find a good school (Krav Maga, Kenpo, Kumg Fu, Wing Chung, JKD and any 'Itsu' are your best bets- if it has a neon sign, black belt club or a contract, keep walking. If it's Korean such as Tae Kwon Do/Joke, Tang Soo Do/Don't or Moo Duk Kwan/Can't (Hapkido is the only Korean exception) Stay the hell away, you're better off throwing your black belt contract at the BG then deploying this commercialized 'sport' bullshit MA taught in most of these places. If you're taught to kick above the bladder, keep walking. Several of you on here will understand this, a few will be offended. Those offended, get with those who get it, you'll realize the difference after an hour. I had a blue belt in Tae Kwon Do at 17, then I went to college and started studying martial arts.

MAXman

Master
    Kana loa, ya basically. As far as a knife fight, it really depends. Im sure plenty uf us have heard, situation dictates. If the guy is in bad breath distances I'll most likley react differently than if he comes around the back of the car next to mine waving it around in a intimidation factor.

The one thing I hope people may take from this thread is distance is your friend. Most of us can put rounds in a generally good group at 10 yards with snubs and pocket rockets. That's why i want a range where you can draw from concealment, 100 rounds in a isocolese stance at 5-25 yards, forced slow fire, gets boring and doesn't really help me much. I can't fathom why people would do that more than once a month...

Clay, I hear ya brother, but I'm 30 years old with a shit knee, a bad knee, what I refer to as a phantom dead leg, a bad lower back, a wife a kid, I work over 40 a week and I'm the sole money maker in my lil house of love. I would be lying if I said I was interested in a martial arts endevour. I do appreciate yor input, and I screen shot'd the post for reference.

JBryan314

Master
    You're right, you're gonna get cut. So we turn our radius bone out toward BG, and you protect the ulna bone and arteries ( inside forearm) defend against the knife first and then draw. Who gives a shit if you kill the bad guy after he's buried a knife in your heart/lung/liver.
    If ya wanna learn, find a good school (Krav Maga, Kenpo, Kumg Fu, Wing Chung, JKD and any 'Itsu' are your best bets- if it has a neon sign, black belt club or a contract, keep walking. If it's Korean such as Tae Kwon Do/Joke, Tang Soo Do/Don't or Moo Duk Kwan/Can't (Hapkido is the only Korean exception) Stay the hell away, you're better off throwing your black belt contract at the BG then deploying this commercialized 'sport' bullshit MA taught in most of these places. If you're taught to kick above the bladder, keep walking. Several of you on here will understand this, a few will be offended. Those offended, get with those who get it, you'll realize the difference after an hour. I had a blue belt in Tae Kwon Do at 17, then I went to college and started studying martial arts.

The Radius runs on the "thumb side" of your hand and the Ulna runs along the "pinky side". There is also an artery running along the Ulna as there is running along the Radius, though the Radial pulse is much easier to find. Just FYI.

Also, during my own martial arts training (TKD, BJJ and Judo) and firearms training, lateral movement seemed very difficult for an attacker to deal with when they are taking a straight line path to you. I found that by moving to my right (putting my non-drawing hand between me and the attacker to ward off or absorb slashes, though the attacker usually has the knife in the right hand, now the "far" hand due to my direction of lateral movement) and then moving forward TOWARD the attacker's original starting point, I could give myself a split second of time where the attacker was sometimes having to turn back around to face me again. That was enough time for me to take shots and sometimes sustain zero wounds myself.

Last edited:

Fletch

Master
    Good luck with all that Martial Arts BS against a knife. It's shoot the bastard or run for me.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7YyBtMxZgQs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MAXman

Master
    Well, lucky for us about the only people left who still rely on a knife are the felines who follow rules and 18 year olds.

Sarcasm,

Top Bottom