• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    3 mobile homes parked in back of the Sheriffs office could serve as the courthouse. They piss more money away and do not know how to spend it properly. It is better a sales tax than a property tax but I am betting the money could come from the waste. Yeah it will go away in 5 years but during that time they will raise property taxes, gas taxes and anything else they can...then have to beg for another 1/2 cent sales tax

Armyvet35N

Expert
    It's a 1/2 of a cent on sales tax, means everyone's gotta pay, not putting the burden on just property owners. Santa Rosa needs additional funds for Sheriff's Office badly. They are understaffed and underpaid. We also badly need a new courthouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call it what you want, I define it as a 1% increase in sales tax. It's .5% for the courthouse ($35 million? lol), and another .5% for all the other stuff mentioned. Doesn't sound like much but it sure does add up. Santa Rosa is always going to need funds, if they had it their way, we'd be paying California level taxes.

Rapier

Marksman
    There is not one reason in hell that a community ever, does not ever, need a thirty five million dollar court house, period, unless you are building a damned monument to the scurge of our society, lawyers. An insulated metal building would be fine, they do not need a marble Taj Mahal really, now do they. You folks need to force your servants to live within their budgets.

The little add on taxes (designed to work around set limits in the law by the way) do not expire regardless of what you think or are told. Once you start feeding that hog, the hog will not stop eating or getting bigger and bigger.. No guess, a fact.
    Ed

Stagman

Master
    Baldwin County voted in a "TEMPORARY" 1 cent sales tax increase for the schools and guess what the school system blew through the money like drunken sailors with no accountability as to where the money went and now the penny tax is permanent and they want more money so they are going after a property tax increase on top of the penny tax. For the record I vote NO any tax increases, you would have to be a COMPLETE DUMB ASS to give any form of government more of your hard earned money when all they do with the money they TAKE from you gets wasted.

Stagman

Master
    Maybe if government entities didn't grossly waste money then they would have enough revenue to build bigger buildings, roads, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Maybe more bullets for the deputies and we would not need a huge courthouse..I still think the more you give government the more they waste...I have no problem paying Deputies more but the rest is a waste as the Courthouse does not have to be fancy just a functional building

Armyvet35N

Expert
    a rapid growth in a county is good for tax revenue, hence there shouldn't be a need to raise the sales tax.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    That is just it, a penny here and penny there and none ever go down. This year you get the sales tax increase, you already got a gas tax increase and next year you will get another property tax increase....they never go down, there will be another excuse for their mismanagement.

Famine

Master
    I used to live in Santa Rosa County before Ivan and the school systems is pretty good for Florida. One thing to remember much of the local cost for education came from the Jay oil field revenue which doesn't amount to much anymore - so offsetting revenue is required to maintain that standard.

Armyvet35N

Expert
    I respect everybody's opinions here, including CESwartz07's. As somebody with an accounting degree, I'm all for reducing tax liability for everyone, I can never in a million years vote for more taxes. The average american gets taxed about 39.6% from their income, that is just too much.

It looks like the half cent for infrastructure is happening, but the one for the courthouse was voted against by 128 votes.
    Unofficial results can be found here
    http://enr.electionsfl.org/SAN/Summary/1539/

Last edited:

Chaddd

Shooter
    As long as the tax goes away when it is supposed too!

Last edited:

Stagman

Master
    As long as the tax goes away when it is supposed too!

It WILL NOT!!! Ask any Baldwin County resident about our temporary penny tax and once they get their hands on the extra money they will never let it go. REMEMBER THE FEDERAL INCOME TAX WAS A TEMPORARY TAX TO FUND WWI.

Latest posts

Top Bottom