• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Carl

Master
    However, the tinfoil around here is SO DUCKING THICK, I’m probably just pissing in the wind.
    It's the looming threat of buybacks or maybe even confiscation thats in the news every day combined with all the other garbage we have seen happen the last couple years. It has a lot of people concerned and rightfully so - its all just conspiracy theories until it happens and then its history. For what its worth im a fan of the police and think we could use more of them. Im not a fan of tyrannical legislation or police being used to enforce it though and the biden admin has a lot of people worried about that happening. Yeah ill admit I keep my tinfoil hat within arms reach though, gotta block the alien magneto waves some times.

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    I remember seeing Sheriff Bob Johnson in an interview saying that there will be no gun confiscation in Santa Rosa county as long as he’s Sheriff and I believe him.
    I know a few deputies and they are all good people.
    I believe they would make the right choice if it came down to a confiscation order from this “president”.
    I’m glad that they are getting upgraded equipment. I wouldn’t want to face what they do every day.

Realtor

Marksman
    Not complaining about the gear or the price. Questioning why they have it. You're either for us or against us as the saying goes.
    All these things just make me wonder. Nothing is cut and dry. Something is behind everything.
    maybe I have been asking the wrong questions, but here I go again.

Who Exactly is "US"? Who Exactly will "Them" be?

Seriously... I do NOT care for the idea of someone else (someone in DC, or someone in the local Sheriffs Office) deciding HOW I can defend myself. We ALL know an Armalite rifle is way more effective at this chore than a .22 caliber revolver.....

FrommerStop

Master
    maybe I have been asking the wrong questions, but here I go again.

Who Exactly is "US"? Who Exactly will "Them" be?

Seriously... I do NOT care for the idea of someone else (someone in DC, or someone in the local Sheriffs Office) deciding HOW I can defend myself. We ALL know an Armalite rifle is way more effective at this chore than a .22 caliber revolver.....
    One should know the difference between DC, especially when run by Biden vs what goes on in the local level. The Sheriff is elected locally and is not a state or federally appointed official. He must answer to us. Biden does not answer to US locally and he is THEM.
    Now there is always the danger of Florida electing a pro-Biden governor. Governors have a lot of lee way about dealing with local officials under some circumstances. Some years ago just about the entire BOCC in Escambia County were removed and the governor appointed new County Commissioners. I do not know if the same is possible for a county sheriff.
    I am for both honest responsible citizens and the local police being well armed.

Realtor

Marksman
    One should know the difference between DC, especially when run by Biden vs what goes on in the local level. The Sheriff is elected locally and is not a state or federally appointed official. He must answer to us. Biden does not answer to US locally and he is THEM.
    Now there is always the danger of Florida electing a pro-Biden governor. Governors have a lot of lee way about dealing with local officials under some circumstances. Some years ago just about the entire BOCC in Escambia County were removed and the governor appointed new County Commissioners. I do not know if the same is possible for a county sheriff.
    I am for both honest responsible citizens and the local police being well armed.
    I hear you, however, when "Federal Funding" gets turned off to the locals, we might see how that works itself out... I pray we don't though..... follow the money...... for the record, "I respect our police force, Thank you for doing what you do for the rest of us...."

What I don't trust, are the people pulling the strings, and the ones that control the flow of money....

Dan1612

Master
    I hear you, however, when "Federal Funding" gets turned off to the locals, we might see how that works itself out... I pray we don't though..... follow the money...... for the record, "I respect our police force, Thank you for doing what you do for the rest of us...."

What I don't trust, are the people pulling the strings, and the ones that control the flow of money....

Your questions and concerns are beyond the scope of this thread and far beyond the local government. However, I do not believe the county sheriff owes anybody in DC anything in the traditional political quid pro quo sense.
    I don’t think you have anything to worry about in the Second Amendment sanctuary that is Santa Rosa County.

Last edited:

Snake-Eyes

Master
    US military take an oath to "support and defend the Constitution". You want them to have the best gear available to defeat the bad guys. You trust that they understand the difference between a lawful and an unlawful order. You trust that they won't use that gear against peaceful US Citizens.

Now, replace "US military" in ^---that paragraph with "Local LEO". Same idea.

The catch is when dirtbag politicians pass legislation that isn't "technically" Unconstitutional until the SCOTUS says so. Until the ruling on a test case, only true Patriot Citizens will stand up and declare the law Unconstitutional and refuse to comply with it. This puts LEO (and sometimes US military) in the gray area of doing what's Right versus doing what's "legal".

It's the same concept as jury nullification. It only works when enough People have enough backbone to do what's Right vs what's "legal".

For some, it's a giant leap of Faith to simply trust that the best armed enforcers will stand against a smarmy politician vs simply do what is "legal" and enforce a "law". After all, they are just effecting an arrest, right? It's up to the courts and lawyers to settle the case and reveal the insanity of the law through legal review, right?

As retired military, I believe enough of our troops have their moral compasses correctly calibrated, and if tested, those troops will do what is Right. I have to believe our LEO brothers and sisters are the same.

However, there are exceptions to every rule, and I don't fault someone for preparing for that scenario.

As I've said before, if someone busts into my home in the middle of the night, I don't care what they're wearing or who signs their paychecks: they have the wrong house and everything that's about to happen is on them for making the mistake.

God Bless our LEO and military. None of them should have to navigate these impending mine-fields of shitty legislation. They have enough true badguys to deal with.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Ya know, I took some time to think this post over before responding because something just didn't sit right with me, and and your post may be getting close to what that is(?).

Nothing in the government/budget world happens quickly, the SRCSO works for the government, and is on a budget. It is suspicious to me that someone found some extra money and ordered this amount of rifles in a matter days, or even weeks. Even if the money was immediately available as a windfall, I doubt any decision to buy rifles was made on a whim. Somewhere along every budget line there is a prioritized list of "needs" that have to be budgeted for, funds requested, and allocated; you never get all you want. This list includes everything from pay to patrol cars. Either rifles were at the top of that list, or deliberate actions were taken to re-rack them as a top priority.

So why now? I've lived in this area over twenty years and cannot recall any incident involving the SRCSO where rifles would have been the deciding factor, so would be curious to know the real "why" behind the purchase. If they are replacing/upgrading existing rifles, fine. If for some other reason(s), lets' hear it. If they never had rifles, and now HAVE to have them, I just don't buy recent shootings as the full/only justification. Why not in response to past mass shootings? Might as well say they're for the children. Something still doesn't sit right.

Sheriff’s control their own budget - famous Jefferson Parish sheriff Harry Lee once said “why would I want to be governor when I can be King”.

A sheriff can spend his money how he sees fit.

Duckyou

The game was one the rise: Don’t forget issued RMR’d Gen 5 MOS 17’s.
    Now, cue the Fudd saying “Why do they need a red dot on their pistols” in 4, 3, 2...
    e658b8252d6adf6e880700b22ac3a8de.jpg

Most cops can’t hit the broad side of a barn during a shooting - anything to help them get more bullets on target is a good spend!

Duckyou

44Ruger said:

Surely you've heard of Bagdad.

There are a lot of poorly educated people in this area, but white and black. Low paying jobs when they are willing to work are in lawn care and as help in construction. Lots of drugs and sales of same along with stealing and assault are connected with many. For Pace, FL lots of problems in Florida town and Guernsey Road and I am sure at lots of other local places. Just about every neighborhood, even good ones, will have at least one or two druggies in it, even if they come from 'good' families.

I miss the days when you could shame them into hiding or run them out of town (or shoot them)

Last edited:

HayesGreener

Expert
    I failed to mention in my previous posts, the obvious. The largest military installation in the free world sits largely inside Santa Rosa County, as does one of the most important military flying training bases. In addition to whatever violence and mischief the Sheriff must contend with outside the base perimeters, the terrorist threats to those installations is real, as illustrated by the shootings at Ft. Hood, the Little Rock Recruiting Center, Washington Navy Yard, Chattanooga Recruiting Center, and NAS Pensacola to name a few.

FrommerStop

Master
    I failed to mention in my previous posts, the obvious. The largest military installation in the free world sits largely inside Santa Rosa County, as does one of the most important military flying training bases. In addition to whatever violence and mischief the Sheriff must contend with outside the base perimeters, the terrorist threats to those installations is real, as illustrated by the shootings at Ft. Hood, the Little Rock Recruiting Center, Washington Navy Yard, Chattanooga Recruiting Center, and NAS Pensacola to name a few.
    The special forces train at eglin. Since it a military installation under federal control, it could be (Some tinfoil perhaps) used as a staging area after moving the special forces elsewhere by the democrats if they ever wish to remove the velvet gloves trying to control all of the conservatives in NW FL.

John B.

Master
    I just want someone to tell sheriff Bob that a silencer and suppressor are the same thing. I'll provide 3 heavy duty rolls of Reynolds wrap to whoever can get this done. Name brand tinfoil, not that made in China Walmart brand tinfoil that doesn't work.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    I just want someone to tell sheriff Bob that a silencer and suppressor are the same thing. I'll provide 3 heavy duty rolls of Reynolds wrap to whoever can get this done. Name brand tinfoil, not that made in China Walmart brand tinfoil that doesn't work.
    emoji2275.png

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    What is important is if they chose one that fulfills the requirements for their mission. If the boss knows or does not know the correct definitions is not important. He has a training officer for that.
    His error is a common one. Typically over the years an assassin used a 'silencer' that was associated with being very quiet. It is what Maxim called and it is still used at times for the muffler on marine diesel engine.
    I am not sure when term suppressor came into usage in the USA.

Then there is clip and magazine.
    Below is some old literature where the magazine is called a clip. If the detachable mag was for a small caliber people often called it a clip. If it was larger the word magazine was often, but not always used.

1617124052229.png

wildrider666

Master
    Back to OP basics. LE throughout the Country have either augmented or replaced the "cruiser shotgun" with rifles for obvious reasons. Firearms like all equipment, get replaced/upgraded over time. I think the standardization of the "Suppressor" on the rifle is the rub.

Those that understand the benefits of a suppressor, can't deny the usefulness and protection it provides. A lot of gun owners were hopeful the Hearing Protection Act would gain traction and ultimately make buying a suppressor no different than a handgun. However, civilians till own thousands of them so why not LE? Ahh, they will use them against us! Well, there's a lot of things that can be used by LE so this is really overreaction on the suppressor. if you want to worry about somthing improbable, make it the zero dark thirty No-Knock entry because there's millions of gun owners to choose from. Lol. I avoid painting gloom and doom scenarios on every single issue that surfaces. Paranoia is not my thing.

The Sheriff's silencer vs suppressor narrative needs work and thats the only hiccup in the whole story.

Dan1612

Master
    On semantics: Sheriff has been on SWAT for many years and has certainly seen his time behind a can.
    Like many of my mil buddies, nomenclature and technical specs is not their thing. You’d be surprised how many LE don’t know the specific model of Glock they carry, or how many mil don’t fully understand direct impingement.
    But really, as long as they can use the tools, I’m ok with that.
    I have no idea how many gigs, or rams, or even goats my MacBook has, much less how they work, but I can certainly write a contract on it.

wildrider666

Master
    The Sherriff does have a big job and large area to cover. For the record. Santa Rosa isn't even in the top 100 largest Counties (by Sq Mi) in the U.S., Base size:

1. White Sands Missile Range – New Mexico; 3,542,862 acres

2. Fort Bliss – Texas; 1,332,807 acres (It also has the largest military population)

3. Yuma Proving Ground – Arizona; 1,008,913 acres

4. Fort Jonathan Wainwright – Alaska; 697,300 acres

5. China Lake Naval Air Weapons Station – California; 651,739 acres

6. 29 Palms Marine Corps Air/Ground Combat Center – California; 635,811 acres

7. Eglin Air Force Base – Florida; 449,421 acres

8. Joint Base Lewis-McChord Air Force Base – Washington; 414,000 acres

9. Edwards Air Force Base – California; 307,517 acres

10. Fort Stewart – Georgia; 279,155 acres

FrommerStop

Master
    On semantics: Sheriff has been on SWAT for many years and has certainly seen his time behind a can.
    Like many of my mil buddies, nomenclature and technical specs is not their thing. You’d be surprised how many LE don’t know the specific model of Glock they carry, or how many mil don’t fully understand direct impingement.
    But really, as long as they can use the tools, I’m ok with that.
    I have no idea how many gigs, or rams, or even goats my MacBook has, much less how they work, but I can certainly write a contract on it.
    The Automatgevär m/42 gas system is said to have the basic gas impingement system and many claim that the AR15 is different since there is a functional gas cylinder and piston in the BCG. But knowing definitions: none of that is really important, but one must know how to maintain it.

Top Bottom